Status: First ever literary work. Hope you guys like it. Kind words are always appreciated.

The Devil's Angel

Memory Lane

"Are you sure it's ok? Damon asked impatiently as he tapped his fingers on the side table, looking at Mia, her eyes were closed and one would think she was sleeping peacefully but he knew better. She was exhausted.

After having to chat up with Silas, she had to take Bonnie's memories of expression. It took time, she didn't know what to do but she figured it out. He knew, she would. He was right there to re-energize her but there was so much he could do. It started to weaken him too when she absorbed his energy and seeing his strength falter, Mia pulled back.

"I think so," Bonnie mumbled her eyes looking around the room. Great, she wasn't sure what to do either.

"I don't need you to think, Bonnie. I need you to tell with hundred percent surety that she'll be fine and wouldn't wake up wishing to kill someone," he tried to control himself but his tone was anything but calm. He didn't understood why others didn't understand it.

"It'll be fine," Samantha said from the door and Damon rolled his eyes. Sometimes, he thought she knew nothing and just carried a good act. It wasn't as she had helped much. Cam was more helpful than her though it annoyed the hell out of Damon and at times, he wanted to kill the bastard.

"Sure, The White Witch has it all figured out," he looked back at her and saw Aaron entering the room, "Of course," he rolled his eyes, "The Prince Charming to the rescue. Do you do anything else with your life? All I see you doing is following her a like a lost puppy," Damon smirked. This one was probably the only one who was able to piss Damon off by just being in the same room as him.

Aaron glared at him but Samantha put her hand on his arm and nodded towards Bonnie. Damon looked curiously at him when he went to stand by Bonnie and took her hand. "Your prince found another princess," Damon pouted at Samantha. Now, all three of them glared at him and he sighed loudly, flashing his eyebrows.

"Damon, it's enough," Stefan said irate at Damon's attitude. When will Mia wake up? Stefan thought. Damon desperately needed his doze from her, he thought with a smile. He was happy for both of them, especially Damon but Damon’s attitude was way out of control.
Aaron and Bonnie came to stand beside Mia and started chanting their spell works as Damon held Mia's hand tighter and swallowed, praying she would be fine.

******************

The colors around her were fresh and lively. She was running along a damp pathway. The tree's soft whisper against the wind was like a lullaby, soothing and warm. The warmth of filtering sunlight from the tall pine trees shone on her. Her feet treaded on the soft, lush, green grass wet from morning dew drops. The scent was intoxicating, the very smell of forest, of pine trees, sap, flowers and musk and slight dampness.

She could feel the nature, hear it in warmth of sun, in the flowing water nearby, in the buzzing of bees and fluttering of butterflies. She could hear the bird's sweet praises as she walked. There was a sound of laughter, a deep, husky but lively voice and she had to turn around to see the person with that laugh.

She followed quietly when she saw a figure running away from her. The man was wearing all black, his broad shoulders were shaking with his laughter as he ran and she sprinted after him, trying to catch him but he was fast, so fast. She slowed when her eyes fell upon a calm lake. Its midnight blue water reflected into the partially clouded sky. The vibrant green grass danced along the border amongst the small wild flowers.

"Damon," she called, knowing he would come back and join her. She wanted to feel this beauty with him. She heard his footsteps coming closer. She could feel his closeness as the beating of her heart strengthened, giving her energy to feel alive. She closed her eyes and sighed.
"Ariel," he said and she snapped her eyes open to look at him. He was bent and touching the water, testing it on his fingers when he gathered some in his hand and splashed it on her.

"Silas," she shrieked as she ducked and laughed. Her voice, melodious and angelic, like soft ringing of bells that excited and soothed a person at the same time. Suddenly, she wasn't the same person anymore. She was standing under the shadow of pine trees observing Silas and Ariel playing with water. She was seeing two people in love.

*********************

The reddish orange tinge kissed the sky with feather touch, soft and light. It was a soft iridescent of warm autumnal colors, dazzling in the bronze sun. The wetness of grass was vaporizing with every passing minute and the wind seemed to calm down, slowing into gentle stillness.

She leaned back against the tree and smiled at the beauty the world offered. The sun was like a fireball but as she sat there on a mountain top, she could see it hiding behind the majestic, lush green mountains and she reached out to touch it as if it would fit in her palm.

She didn't know how long she sat there, enjoying the sunset but then there was darkness that had started to set in now, starting at the bottom of valley, filling it with dread and fear of unknown then to, the hillside hiding the exotic view from her. Stars had started to twinkle in the sky, showing her there was still hope for light, even in the darkness.

"Another sunset?" He asked from behind her and she didn't know what he was talking about, "You can't stay afraid of dark forever. It'll pass. There's light ahead," he said as he came to sit beside her.

"With darkness comes nightmares and I...I can't handle nightmares," she said but her voice was not hers. She blinked her eyes to find herself standing in the shadows again as she saw Ariel reaching out and taking the man's hand in her own. Silas? Mia thought but he didn't look like Silas...not exactly.

"Why do they keep chasing me, these nightmares and," she paused as her voice broke, "You think, they will ever go away. Why cannot I just remember my life? It should've been easy for me," she said and sighed.

He squeezed her hand back, "I truly feel sorry, Ariel but it will be fine. I suppose you should move on and enjoy the things you have," he said softly.

"Thank you, Henry. I'm very grateful that I have you at least. I might have been lost without you," she said as she raised his hand and placed a small, innocent kiss. Henry inched towards her and she put her head on his shoulder, watching the moon that was looming in the sky now.

"I am truly, deeply in love with you, Ariel. I might be lost without you too," he kissed her temple, "Maybe, we save each other," he shrugged.
"From our own self?" she asked, looking at him and he smiled when she answered herself, "Yes. I suppose, we do."

*********************

The place was very familiar and it took a few minutes for her to figure out that she was standing on the same mountain top but instead of all warm autumnal colors, the whole area was gleaming in the white snow. The area still offered same serenity, same peace. The sunlight was coming through the hills, falling on snowcapped tree causing them to shimmer and glitter like stars at a night sky.

The air was crispy and chilly, seeping into her bones and thought made her shiver. She was sure, her cheeks would be a pink shade and she had no idea about her nose, it was an ice cube, cold and numb. Despite it, she loved it. The quietness, the calm. It felt like home.

"Ariel?" the voice called bewildered and confused. Ariel spun around at the familiar voice. It was the same one from her dreams and she felt thrilled that she had found someone who had recognized her. Now, she'll have someone from her past who will be able to help her remember without her dreams.

The man was beautiful and her heart tripped inside her. His green eyes were probing but excited, full of surprise and confusion. He laughed and his voice warmed her heart, "I knew you would come back," he said as he lunged towards her and gathered her in his arms. Ariel was confused at his greeting yet a burst of electricity passed through her, "Oh! How I waited for you, love?" he said and Ariel pulled back, leaving him standing there in confusion.

"Ariel," he looked at her, sadness creeping in his eyes, "Love, it's me, Silas," he said. Silas...the name she knew but what else, she had no idea. She looked at him, his profile. His forest green eyes were the most exotic and he had a mysterious and powerful face with strong jawline, a broad forehead, straight, chiseled nose and a sculpted mouth. He was so gorgeous with his lean and athletic body and his dark brown hair looked soft and rough at the same time.

Ariel was still staring, still thinking but nothing came to her except the nightmares she saw. Her breathing was getting heavier and he had no idea what to do. "Ariel, love. Are you alright?" he asked concerned. His forehead showing wrinkles...he was worried and confused. "Talk to me, love," he cooed her but Ariel took a step back.

The sound of footsteps made her turn around. There he was, her safe haven, her savior. He dropped the fire wood seeing her teary eyes, glistening with unshed tears. "Angel, what happened?" he rushed to her, "Are you alright? Was it another memory?" he asked hastily as he wrapped his arms around her and she leaned into him, hugging him tight as she buried her face in the crook of his neck.

Silas stood there appalled. He had no idea what was going on. It was his love, his Ariel...what was she doing with him? Henry raised his eyes to meet Silas' and tensed, his body going rigid and his blue eyes were cold now. "Silas," he greeted in a dry voice.
Silas kept his eyes on Ariel but gave him a single rigid nod, "Brother."

*********************

Tempus venit...Tempus venit, the voice kept ringing in her ears and it was the same white, bright light. Mia's head was still reeling from the visions she just saw. They were all overwhelming and familiar and they scared the hell out of her.

"I know you're in shock," Ariel said and Mia spun around to face, her hand on her chest, calming her galloping heart, "Greetings, Maya," she said with a humble nod and Mia tensed.

"Mia, please," she said, her breathing was still erratic, "I've lived with that name and wouldn't like to change it with...'her'," she said in contempt.

"It was your real name, Maya Hope Markowitz," she said sweetly.

"Mia," she extended her hand towards her, "Pleasure to meet you, finally," she said.

Ariel laughed in her melodious voice, "Will you like it with Pierce, then?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

Mia thought about it. No way, she would do that, keep her last name same as her, the one who stole her life. She loathed her, "I'll be fine without one," Mia replied, coolly and wished Damon were here. It would be easy to endure this with him.

"I thought you would ask me to make it Salvatore?" she looked at her knowingly.

Mia thought about it, feeling a rush of warmth and thrill at the words. Wow, her heart was jumping now and she smiled, just the mention of his name made her feel better. "I don't...mind, Salvatore," she said with a smile.

"Of course, you wouldn't," Ariel said and shrugged, "I don't have much time. Bonnie and Aaron are both holding it for me. I'm in a dark place, Mia."

"What dark place?" Mia asked, taking a step forward.

"Oh, darling. I wish you wouldn't ever have to see it or know," she said simply, sadness and grief toning her voice and Mia’s heart pinched, feeling sorry for her.

"What can I do?" She asked, "And...Silas? He looks like..." she cringed at the thought.

"Stefan," Ariel provided, "Yes, Stefan is his doppelganger," she said and Mia gasped. She couldn't imagine ever that. Another doppelganger...another look alike. Why did all of them had to be such trouble?

"Silas is very powerful and driven, darling. He wouldn't ever stop. He's blinded by the hurt and he thinks he can have me when the truth is...he can't. I was never his to begin with."

"You loved him," It wasn't a question, Mia knew that. She had seen it.

"Yes, I did. He was my first love even my soul mate in some ways. I made all the choices I made, because of him but he could never be the twin flame I desired or needed though,” she paused, “I didn't thought of it when I was with him," she said sadly.

"Twin flame?" Mia asked incredulous but continued, "And what about your memories? That was so...like me," Mia stated and realized how true was that. Her life and Ariel's was so much alike, it was mind numbing.

"Twin flame, yes. Their connection is so much stronger. They are a mirror image of you, balances you out. It is a magnetic attraction that is nearly supernatural and practically impossible to withstand. Henry was my twin flame and I loved him so very much...Silas, on the other hand was my idea of love and he was a wonderful and enigmatic person and we clicked almost instantly but when I came back...it was only Henry but Silas never understood that," she paused, "He still doesn't."

Mia nodded, taking it in, "So, where did you went that...when you came back, you loved Henry, and not Silas?" Mia asked.

Ariel lowered her gaze, "I'm the original angel, darling," she said softly and pinched her eyes shut as if it was painful to say the words. Mia's heart stuttered to a stop, her breathing line cut. She couldn't breathe, couldn't think. Too much, too much, she thought.

Her lungs were burning from lack of oxygen and she gasped for breath, any amount will do, she just needed it but nothing came. It was a thick atmosphere with no air, nothing to keep her on her feet and Ariel’s words bounced in her head, making her more dizzy.


"What the hell is happening?" Damon shouted at Bonnie and Aaron who were standing there with their eyes closed, "Bonnie! Stop it!" he screamed. Everybody was stricken but none of them did anything and Damon wanted to kill each and every one of them. Mia was trying to breathe but she couldn't get enough air as she struggled.

"Bonnie!" he threatened in a snarling voice. Cam rushed to her side, taking Damon's hand, he put his hand on Mia's chest and looked at Damon who leaned forward to press his lips to her forehead, "Breathe angel, breathe please," he whispered as he felt a wave of energy leaving him and Mia suddenly relaxed under his hand, "I'm with you, angel. I'm here," he said softly and Cam pulled him back from Mia. Damon pushed him off but he resisted.

"You can only give her too much but it's dangerous for you too," Cam reasoned.

"I don't care," Damon said harshly.

"You're no good to her dead," Cam almost shouted the words at him and Damon halted, fixed on his spot as he looked at Mia. She was fine, she looked fine, now and the knowledge that he was able to take her pain away was a redemption for him. He wasn't all bad after all. He could help her.

Mia stared wide eyed at Ariel as she took a deep breath. She wanted Damon...needed him. "What happened?" Mia asked, her heart was racing again, goose bumps raising on her body.

"I was an Archangel. They called me the 'Angel of Nature'," she smiled. "Do you know what my name means?"

Mia shook her head and saw that she had an aura too but they were not changing. It was the same pale pink as dominant and all rainbow colors. "It means 'Lion of God'," she replied. "I was the protector of this realm. I could control all the elements and nature was my home," she said and looked at Mia, "Do you like the nature, Mia? Open areas and fresh air?" she asked.

Mia thought of Enrique's...Cam's words from long time ago. 'You were the quiet girl. You enjoyed open meadows and nature, waterfalls and starry sky', 'You were always the nature person'.

"Yes, I do," Mia whispered, "Your colors don't change," Mia stated it as a fact and looked at her.

"Angels don't show emotions. They shouldn't. That was my mistake, Mia. I used my emotions to make my decision. I felt what I shouldn't have. That was my fault," she said, "What you see is my aura. All angels had different ones. You could see their aura and recognize them."

Mia joined all her conversation and all the visions she saw, understanding dawning upon her, "You fell in love," Mia said, "You felt loved. That was your fault?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Yes," she simply answered and Mia shook her head as she sighed. "It's not fair. Everyone can love...should love."

"No, darling. It wasn't for me. I suffer greatly for it, Mia," she said and looked at her keenly, "You must choose the right thing," she said serious, her face cleared off all emotions.

"What right thing?" Mia asked, her breath hitched in her throat.

"I met Silas when I came to do my job here. It was my duty to keep peace on Earth. I failed in it and fell in love with Silas. I didn't want to go back up. So...so, I asked permission to stay here with him but it was not granted," she paused, "I broke the rules and went to see him again. I was caught, of course. You don't break the rules and get away with them."

"I was stripped off my wings and cursed. I was sent to this world, a mere human with no memories. I met Henry then and he..." she smiled at the memory, "He helped me and loved me and cared for me and I fell for him hard, darling. Then, Silas came and things got worse. He was his brother...step brother."

Mia gasped, her mouth hanging open, her eyebrows reaching her forehead. "Silas was mad...so mad. He killed my Henry," Ariel continued in a monotone, her eyes far away, replaying everything in her mind, "He thought with Henry gone...I will love him but I couldn't...especially not after that. I had a baby, darling. A sweet angel and I took her into hiding with me but I was never lucky. I kept running from him then I met Qetsiyah. She came," she closed her eyes.

"She was a witch like Silas and she told me about the immortal spell and how Silas betrayed her. She said it was because of me. Said it was all my fault," she drew in a shaky breath, "And it was, darling. Everything was my fault but I couldn't do anything. That was my last day before the curse began," She said.

"Wasn't it all a curse? Everything that happened, everything that you had to go through?" Mia asked, wiping her tears with her fingers.

"No, darling. Curse started after I died and it's still going on," she sobbed but there were no tears, "I have done so wrong by so many people and I deserve it but it's too much," her voice broke, "I can't find any peace, Mia darling. No redemption, no apology. There's just pain and suffocation and I can't bear it anymore," a single tear flowed on her cheek and Mia went in to hug her but the light was fading now and Mia reached for hand, trying to keep her.

"No, no. Please stay," Mia pleaded, "Please. Tell me what to do," she was repeating the same thing. "Tell me what to do. Ariel!" She screamed but there was nothing now, except a small ball of light far away.

"Illa Una" she heard "Dice Eius...Prophetiae," the voice was fading, "Et mihi Damon antiquis habet animam. Illa Una," Mia strained to hear the words as the darkness kept coming at her as high waves, engulfing her, "Habemus vitam similem. Dice Eius.” There was a pause and then she heard an ear shrieking scream that chilled her to bones, “Conserva me ab inferno."


Bonnie and Aaron both fell on their knees, exhausted as Mia gasped and flew into a sitting position. It all happened in a blur, Samantha reached Aaron, Elena ran for Bonnie and Damon and Cam went for Mia. All with considerate and worried expressions, with soothing words. Mia was still breathing hard as she clutched Damon and Cam put his hand on hers that rested on Damon's back.

"What are you saying, angel?" Damon asked. She was whispering the same words over and over again, thinking she will forget them if she stopped. Samantha and Cam tensed when she spoke them out loud. There was a stun silence in the room except for her words.

Mia turned to look at Stefan and stared at him with hardness causing everyone to look at him too. She was scrutinizing him, his profile. He looked so much like him, it was bloodcurdling. She saw him watching her with rapt attention and concern on his face, his thumb constantly rubbing his finger in a nervous motion and she realized, though he looked like him, she knew, inside he was opposite, unique. Inside, he was Stefan, just Stefan.

"You're Silas' doppelganger," she told him, "you look like him."

"What?" Stefan asked baffled, unbelieving, his eyebrows raised. "What are you saying, Mia?" Elena asked confused and somewhat scared.

"Oh my God. Oh my God," Mia chanted as she freed herself from Damon and stood up. "Oh my God, oh my God," she was clutching her hair tightly.

"Mia? Mia, what is it? You're scaring everyone here, angel. Talk to us," Damon said and Mia turned to look at him. Her tension easing a little but it was still so much to take in.

"His doppelganger..." she swallowed, "He was a warlock and...and y-you b-both are from same blood line," Mia said breathily.

"What?" Damon stood up with are-you-kidding-me look at the same time, Stefan and Elena screamed, "What...the hell?"

"No way. Shit," Bonnie whispered, "What does that mean?" she asked, looking at all of them as they all turned to look at Mia who was intently watching Samantha.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is one of my favorite chapters. Do comment on what you think. :)