Veer

Tooth Fairy

Jeff was in Chicago for the weekend battling it out against the Blackhawks for the Western conference finals. The team had a rough loss the night before, Maya knew that the Blackhawks would be a tough team to play but she had faith that the boys would put up a good fight. However if they lost, Maya would be happy to get her fiancé back and spend time as a family before the craziness of the wedding.

She would also get her babysitter back. Which meant she wouldn’t be dragging Jessa to photoshoots and PR meetings like she had to today.

“Yes, we need the black and the blue and make up needs to be ready in thirty minutes. The set and crew are ready. It’s been a hurry up and wait day and it should stay that way.” Maya said sternly.

“Mommy why are you so mean?”

“Because I have to be a model because one of my girls didn’t show up because she has morning sickness. And when mommy has to be a model she gets a little agitated because then I have even more to do.” Maya replied as the make up artist, Kelly, motioned for her to go sit in a chair in the dressing room, Jessa followed politely.

“But you’re so pretty I don’t know why you don’t like being in all those nice pictures,” Jessa shrugged.

“That’s what we’ve been telling her for years sweetie. Your mom is one of the most beautiful women I’ve ever met and she just doesn’t see it. She’s just stuck in the I’m a soccer player who wears sweats and doesn’t like to put effort in my looks part of her life.”

“I regret bringing you out of the tundra.”

“Hey I got you into this business where would you be if it weren’t for me? Without a graduate degree and working some shi- er crappy job. Jessa your mom owes me a lot.”

“I know Kelly, grandma always told me you were the one who convinced mommy she was pretty and smart and should use it to her ad-ad-er,”

“Advantage.” Maya prompted while trying not to roll her eyes at Kelly while her eye makeup was being done.

“That’s the word!”

“Okay get your hot bod out there and work it,” Maya grumpily stood up and walked into wardrobe, “Jess, do you want me to do your make up? Just for fun.”

“Yeah that sounds fun!”

“Now I’m going to put on more make up then you need but I want to remind you that you are a beautiful woman with or without make up and as me and your mother always say where are you most beautiful?”

“On the inside!” Jessa said with a beaming smile.

After putting on some make up that made Jessa’s green eyes seem like shining emeralds that starkly contrasted her dark locks, the two ladies walked to see Maya modeling with surfboards and other cheesy beach gear. She was wearing a crop top, a backwards snapback, daisy dukes, high socks and vans. She didn’t look like the mother of a six year old.

“Would you look at you, you look fine bubs!” Maya called out once she saw her daughter.

“Thanks mommy.”

“This is the little Jessa, she is a vision and just six?” The photographer stared on at shock, “she is as tall as a 10 year old.”

“She’s got tall genes.”

“She is a born model. Honey come up here let’s have some shots with your mom.”

“I don’t know about that…” Maya warned.

“Oh mommy can I, I want to have some pretty pictures.”

“Fine,” she sighed as Jessa came running up.

Maya rolled her eyes but humored her photographer and daughter and took some fun pictures. Even picking up and turning the screaming and squealing Jessa upside down. As soon as the photographer called a wrap, Maya glared at Kelly before leaving the studio as quickly as possible to spend the rest of the day with her daughter and away from her part time model life.

Later that evening the two girls sat down on the couch to cheer Jeff up after the game. The Kings had lost again but at least they had a home crowd to look forward to in the near future. Soon after snuggling up the two girls smiled as Jeff’s disheartened face appeared on the screen. He gave a weak smile at seeing his two favorite faces.

“What’s on your face Jess?” Jeff asked with a shocked face once he registered the make up.

“Make up so I can look pretty like mommy. I got to model with her today.” Jeff switched his gaze to Maya to give her a questioning look.

“It was not my idea you should know that. It was Kelly’s doing. Not all Canadians are nice apparently.”

“But don’t I look so pretty,” Jessa batted her eyelashes and Jeff felt his heart turning to goo.

“You do look very pretty, but you shouldn’t look so pretty so young. You might make everyone jealous.”

“Don’t worry mommy tells me I can’t wear make up until I go through puberty and still know that I’m most beautiful on the inside and that I love myself for more than just my looks.”

“That sounds like a good plan,” Jeff laughed.

They talked for a bit longer. They didn’t talk about hockey, which even at a young age and being new to Jeff’s life Jessa knew wasn’t good to do after a loss. Jeff was glad for the distraction of a hyper active child to put his life into perspective. It took a kid that wasn’t even his own to make him realize that there was a good and important life to be lived outside of hockey.
^^^^^^^^^^
It was the first home game against the Blackhawks in the series in which the Kings were down two games. They need this win if they wanted enough confidence to make a real run at the western conference title. At least that’s how Maya felt as she lay in bed with a restless Jeff during his nap. Jessa was at the foot of the bed pretending she was a dog when Jeff moved enough to kick her on the floor. The little girl got up and glared at the half sleeping man.

“I think daddy just gave me a bruise,” Jessa frowned rubbing her shoulder.

“Don’t tell people that out loud, “Maya replied with a smirk, “how about we go pick out dad’s suit for the game tonight, one less thing for him to think about.”

The little girl nodded and skipped off to her parent’s closet.

An hour later Jeff was wearing an eyesore purple tie that Jess had picked out and was headed to the rink. He gave both his girls a kiss and they promised they would be cheering him on in the Staples center.

It was now minutes before puck drop and the crowd was buzzing with energy. Jessa was sitting by the Brown boys sharing an array of stadium food with her future husband.

“I think your daughter might have diabetes after this,” Nicole laughed.

“Maybe she’ll put on some weight to match the vertical growth she’s had.” She smiled as she gave a goofy grin to her daughter who turned around at her mention.

The first period went by and the kings were winning. During the intermission Jessa had moved on to a second hot dog and sitting next Jaclyn Quick and her daughter, claiming she was sick of boys.

The period began and Jessa let out a horrible scream causing all the family members to look at her just in time to watch her spit her half chewed hot dog into her hand.

“Jessa Lynn, don’t be rude!” Maya yelled in horror as her daughter acted incredibly childish and very unlike her self.

“But look mommy I lost a tooth!” Jessa exclaimed digging through the gross food to pull out the teeth and flashing the new holey smile. The other wives began to laugh at the antics.

“Oh my god, your first tooth,” Maya felt tears prick her eyes even over the most mundane first her daughter had, “lets go wash your hands and that tooth up now then.”

The little girl skipped after more than happy about her new holey smile. The girls washed up and when they came back they saw they had missed just a goal and the Kings were now up two.

Just as the two took their seats, Maya now had her turn to let out a scream as she saw Jeff get high sticked in the mouth and fall to the ground like a tree that had just been chopped down. Maya stared in shock as he didn’t get up and the scrum surrounded him.

She finally let out her breath as he got up, just seeming a little shook up. But when he went back into the locker room she assumed the worst. He didn’t come back for the remainder of the period.

The third period began and Maya finally felt some relief to see Jeff back on the bench and ultimately had a good period getting an assist on an empty net goal. He was third star but Maya was still concerned with how he felt and grabbed Jessa and practically ran to see Jeff up close.

Once they were down by where the media was Jessa screamed out to Mike who came up with a big grin.

“Have you seen him yet?”

“No should I be worried?”

“Chicks dig scars right?” Mike chuckled.

“Mikey look I lost a tooth!” Jessa screamed tired of not being the center of attention.

“Oh wow, you match your dad tonight, now give me a smile,” she bared all her teeth for him, “holy smokes you look like a hockey player.”

“She hasn’t let go of the tooth since she lost it.”

“I wouldn’t either that thing is worth some cold hard cash. Are you excited for the tooth fairy?”

“I forgot about her! Mommy will she come and give money.”

“Of course this your first tooth, who could forget that!”

The media began to clear away and Jessa caught sight of Jeff, his scarred and more toothless face turning to catch her eyes as he held his arms open for her.

“Daddy look we match,” she ran up to him, jumping into his arms and thrusting the tooth in his face.

“You lost your first tooth how cool,” he tried to smile but winced a little at the pain.

“You’re looking good after that stellar game stud, how do you feel?” Maya asked kissing his cheek.

“A little sore, could use a little more teeth but there are worse things.” Jeff shrugged.

“Well it looks like the tooth fairy will be pulling double duty in our house tonight, so let’s get home so she has time to make her exchange,” Maya laughed before link her hand with Jeff.
♠ ♠ ♠
Weird to write about these playoffs from a different team's side but I hope you like this chapter. This story is coming to an end soonish 5 more chapters at most probably.

Send me all your love!