Veer

Epilogue

The house was quiet on this February morning in Southern California house. A now seventeen-year-old Jessa sat at the counter reading a textbook while eating her breakfast. It was clear even as she wore running shorts and a baggy Kings sweatshirt that she had grown up to look like her mother. She had her perfectly tanned skin and long dark hair that was beautiful ever haphazardly thrown into a ponytail. The main different was her bright green eyes that popped against her dark complexion. Her long legs dangled from the bar stool to show she was tall and mostly in her legs.

“You’re up early or have you just not gone to bed, you look hungover,” Jeff said as he grabbed a protein shake from the fridge, as he got ready for practice.

“You would know a lot about that,” Jessa said under her breath.

“What did you say?” Jeff raised an eyebrow at his daughter.

“Nothing, I was up late studying for my physics test and I have rugby practice this morning,” Jessa rolled her eyes before going back to her cereal.

“Physics eh? That’s why your boyfriend was over so late, you two were studying?”

“Oh my god, he’s not my boyfriend,”

“Could have fooled me, I mean he spends way too much time in your bedroom and you know how I feel about that.”

“The door was open and your little clone was playing video games on my tv the whole time.”

“I’ve taught him well,” Jeff quickly blended together his drink before pouring it into a to-go cup, “Have you picked a university yet?”

“No, I have time.”

“You have like a week to sign your commitment.”

“You sound like mom.”

“Because this is important, we just want you to pick the school that will make you happiest.”

“I know I’ll pick.”

“They’re both good schools so don’t stress about it.”

“Thanks daddy,” Jessa smiled hugging Jeff.

Jeff kissed her head before picking up his hockey bag before heading out.

^^^^^^^^^^
Maya let out a sigh of relief as she entered the quiet house. After a crazy moment of dropping off kids, then some work for a magazine shoot, followed by errands. She was exhausted and more than happy to be alone for a little bit.

She walked through the house smiling at pictures of her family; Jessa wearing Jeff’s gold medal with a toothless grin, Jeff and her after their first son Calvin’s birth, a picture of Jeff and their youngest Max on the ice together for the first time.

She breezed by the ten years of memories as she made her way to the pool, a new addition to the Carter home. She missed the beachfront condo but after a trade to San Jose for a few years and then a trade back to the Kings, this new, bigger home fit perfectly with their crazy life.

She stretched on a lounge chair and soaked in some sun. Groaning when she heard a car pull into the driveway and the door slam shut. A minute later Jessa came out smiling at her mom.

“I’m going shopping with Ash for Sadie Hawkins,” she smiled before making her way back to the door.

“Whoa whoa whoa, hold up. You have some things to do before you can buy dresses for a dance. Wait do you even wear dress still?”

“Yes and we won’t take long,”

“Then you have other days to do this then, call Ash and tell her you’ll shop with her another day.”

“Christ mom really?” Jessa groaned heading back into the house, Maya stood up and followed her in.

“First of all you stopped wearing clothes that didn’t double as athletic wear like three years ago, two we have the Kings charity dinner you promised your dad you would come to, all the families will be there, and three I’m not letting you run around town while you neglect to pick a school.”

“God I’ve told you guys a thousand times I’ll pick one,”

“Well then why don’t we cut the shit and pick one right now, we can make a list of pros and cons.”

“Fine,” Jessa rolled her eyes grabbing a soda from the fridge.

“I hate this attitude you’ve picked up, whatever happened to the little girl who was sassy in the cute way and put efforts into her looks,” Jessa stared back at her mom, not amused.

“Sorry, we can make the list, I’m just hormonal.”

“Is it because you’re still a closeted lesbian or because of the opposite and that Tyler boy knocked you up?”

“Oh my god mom shut up.” Jessa laughed.

Before Jessa could make a remark there was a rumble in the house as the two Carter sons skated through the kitchen.

“No skates in the house! No skates in the house,” Maya yelled grabbing the boys by the arm, “door. Take them off.”

The boys nodded and skated back to the front door, weaving around their dad who earned a glare from his wife.

“Sorry they insisted they skate home from practice, I didn’t have time to stop them.” He sat at the table across from his girls.

“It’s fine, did you know Jessa has been moody because she’s a lesbian?”

“I guess that explains a lot, and I don’t have to worry about boys in your room anymore.”

“Or she’s pregnant, I haven’t figured it out yet,” Jeff clenched his jaw even though he could tell it was a joke, he turned to Jessa with raised eyebrows.

“I ’m gonna be an uncle?” said the ten-year–old, Calvin, who was a dark haired and olive skinned with Jeff’s features, a perfect mix of his parent.

“Shut up asswipe.” Jessa said pushing his face away.

“Jessa don’t swear at your brother.” Maya scolded.

“Just because they look like your husband doesn’t mean you can favor the boys over me,”

“I favor them because they aren’t bitches like ninety percent of the time.”

“I thought we talked about the whole swearing in front of our children and you know not doing that.”

“I went through the whole parenthood thing already so I’ve given up on the other two.”

“So what were you two doing before we got here?” Jeff asked.

“Mom was forcing me to make a list of pros and cons about schools so I can pick one by today.”

“Good, let’s hear it.”

“Okay. I guess for Stanford the pros are I’ll still be in California, close to San Jose so I know the area I know people who live there. They’re top 25 soccer team in the US and top 5 in rugby, but the cons are that’s a lot of work with school on top of that, and it’s Stanford so school will be hard too.” Jessa sighed.

“On the other side the pros for University of Toronto, they are also good at soccer, not as good. They’re rugby team is actually varsity and really good. It’s also in Canada so family is there and Team Canada rugby will be able to keep a close eye on me because we can all agree I’m much better at rugby and have a better chance going places with it. I can also drink at nineteen when I’m there. I guess the cons are it’s really cold there in the winter but I mean that’s in my blood but-“ Jessa groaned in frustration placing her head on the counter.

“Though you are a Canadian citizen, you’ve only actually seen snow like 5 times in your life so I think winter isn’t going to be easy for you and your Cali girl ways,” Jeff said with a laugh.

“Those lists are nice and all, but you’re not going to school for weather, sports and drinking. You want to get a good education in something you love, all the other stuff is just bonus. Now think about what you want to go to school for,”

“Well I’m leaning towards health sciences…”

“That’s a good start, how are the school’s programs?”

“Stanford is like one of the best in the world and if I want to go to med school, they have one. UT has a med school too and a good program it’s just not as good, but what about Team Canada?”

“You’re good enough for them to be seeking you out, you don’t need a neon sign. Besides Jess, you’re one of the smartest girls I know and you getting into one of the best schools in the country has nothing to do with your sports, you got the grades and the test scores. You should take advantage of that.” Jeff smiled rubbing her shoulder comforting.

“If you want to know my opinion, I think you are saying Stanford. UT is a great school, I went there, I played soccer there, and it’s some of the best times of my life, but it’s not you. You’re a Cali girl, you love science, and you have this hunger to compete at a high level and challenge yourself. UT isn’t going to challenge you.” Maya smiled at her daughter

“Well I guess I look good in red,” Jessa cracked a smile

“So we have a future Stanford grad?” Maya asked.

“I’m going to Stanford,” Jessa jumped up and yelled before she pulled her parents into a hug.

The family was all smiles as they went back to sitting. Jessa began emailing Stanford recruiting about signing her letter of intent, when Max the seven-year-old who was an exact replica of Jeff came in the kitchen covered in a red sticky substance.

“How did that happen?” Maya jumped up, grabbing a rag and washing off the little boy’s face.

Before he could answer Jessa let out a loud burp and high fived Calvin and her dad a high five, Calvin in return tried to top it but failed.

“I’m raising all boys,” Maya called out rubbing her temples, “I’m done with parenting for the day. We need to get ready for the dinner so Jessa for the love of god be the beautiful girl you are and at least put on a nice blouse you don’t even need to wear a skirt. Calvin, nice clothes that aren’t dirty. Jeff, dress mini me keep the stains away from him.” Maya ordered before heading upstairs.

“You heard the boss let’s get rolling,” Jeff said slinging Max over his shoulder as he squealed in laughter. The family split up to their separate rooms.

^^^^^^^^^^
“Don’t the Carters look just perfect,” Mike Richards’ wife Kelly laughed as she held their two-year-old, Chelsea.

“Thanks Kell, we may look effortlessly good but it’s a whole ordeal,” Jeff laughed kissing her cheek.

“My suggestion, stick with the only child. Things were much better when it was just Jessa.” Maya laughed

“Auntie Kelly mommy is lying because I’m her favorite.” Max grinned.

“Now there’s a little charmer who’s gonna be just like his dad,” Kelly smiled and ruffled his hair.

“Oh god don’t remind me about raising teenagers again, I’m barely getting through as of now.”

“They’re boys, it’s Jeff’s turn to take the reigns.”

“Amen to that,” Maya laughed before looking over to Mike who had just let out a loud cheer.

Mike was almost the most excited to hear about Jessa picking Stanford. Over the years Jessa was practically a daughter to him as well, minus the glaring crush the girl had developed on him for a while. He had picked up and twirled the girl swearing he was ordering an entire Stanford outfit tomorrow so he was prepared to be a crazed fan of hers. Jessa blushed and rolled her eyes before sitting next to Calvin who was playing with little Chelsea.

The dinner went well players and fans mingled together. The family got a picture together while they were all dressed up, Jessa even put on a dress to please her mother. After a few pictures that included pulled hair, noogies, and wet willies, the Carters finally managed to look attractive and loving, though Calvin would argue that he only gave Jessa wet willies because he loved her.

Then came the big news of the night. Mike and Jeff were called forward to the front of the room. Jessa looked at her mother with a raised eyebrow, clearly confused because Jeff was not the speech giving type. Maya merely shrugged.

“As you know our first year we were here together we won a cup and from that moment on we knew this was a special place and special team. It’s become the place where we’ve raised our families and won a few more championships and we couldn’t be more thankful,” Mike spoke.

“However, we think it’s time we move our focus to other things like those families. SO with heavy hearts we are announcing our retirement that will happen at the end of this season win or lose, but hopefully win I’d like to go out with a bang. But Mike’s got a baby girl to spend some more time with and I got two boys to coach in hockey and a soccer/rugby playing daughter going to Stanford next year and needs a personal cheering squad. We just want to let out teammates and fans know couldn’t be happier to be ending our career with our favorite team.” Jeff smiled brightly before they walked off the stairs.

Jeff hugged his kids before sitting next to Maya.

“You’re such boyfriends, retiring together,” Maya rolled her eyes.

“I’m so excited for this whole retirement thing,” Jeff wagged his eyebrows.

“Too bad we had those two or we could have been empty nesters.”

“You love them.” Jeff scrunched up his nose.

“Yeah it still sound pretty perfect,” she leaned in to kiss him softly receiving gagging noises from their three perfect children.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Kings won the Cup so of course I had to update ASAP.

Sad to see this story ending, it was so much fun to write for all of you. Thanks you to all who subscribed, recommended, and commented.

Final thoughts? I would absolutely love to hear them!