Status: We'll see where this one leads

A Lifelong Promise

Oblivious

Clare had grown accustomed to going down and meeting James after their home games. She enjoyed watching him do his thing and was proud of him for accomplishing so much, despite how upset she was with him. He might have become a borderline stranger to her to some degree, but when she watched him play she knew she was watching the guy she fell in love with in the most organic form.

"What do you want to do tonight baby?" she asked him as she lightly wrapped her arms around him. It was obvious to her that things were tense between them but he seemed completely oblivious.

James swallowed and leaned down to give her a kiss on the forehead before answering. "Uhhh, actually I was thinking of going out with the guys for a drink or two."

"Oh," she said quietly and looked down at the ground feeling the pit in her stomach get worse. She was reaching her breaking point but this was her husband and regardless of everything he put her through, she still loved him. The last thing she wanted to do was make a scene in the arena. Besides, what would it do anyway? She knew him and when he made his mind up about something that was it.

"Is that okay?" James asked her knowing full-well she wouldn't object. He wanted to pretend to be concerned after seeing her reaction while having already made up his mind.

"Yeah, sure."

"I mean, I just want to blow off some steam and unwind with the guys and all. I didn't think that was much of your scene so I didn't think you'd mind for an hour or so."

"Nope," she answered as she shook her head. "That's fine."

"Good," he said as he leaned down and gave her another quick kiss on the top of her head. "I'll see you at home then?"

"Like always." Clare's answers were getting shorter and more cold towards him. She was beginning to come to the realization that their marriage had gone down a seemingly unfixable road.

"Thanks baby, you're the best."

"Mmhmm," she responded with a little nod. She couldn't even look him in the eyes for fear that she'd break down in sobs.

***James and Clare's First Date***

His heart was in his chest when he pulled up to her place. He couldn't get this girl off his mind since he met her just the other night at the ice cream place he just happened to be at. James took a minute in his car to get his heart rate down and his composure back before stepping out of the car and making his way to her door. When she opened it and he laid his eyes on her he damn near lost his breath again.

"Hey," she greeted him with that big, beautiful smile.

"Hi," he managed to get out. "You, uh, you ready?"

"That depends," she flirted as she stepped outside and closed the door behind her. "Where are we going?"

His lips curled up into a crooked smile as he looked at her. "It's a surprise."

"I don't know how I feel about surprises," she said with a smile.

"You'll like this one," he confirmed as he opened the car door for her and she got in. "I promise."

"Guess I'll just have to take your word for it." She was busting his balls and he loved every second of it.

"Guess so." He shrugged as he teased her back.

They had the typical 'getting to know you' conversation as James drove that when he stopped in a field full of flowers and trees Clare barely noticed. "Here we are," James announced as he shut the car off and went to get out.

"Wait, here?" Clare looked at him confused after realizing her surroundings. "What's here? Where are we?"

"Just come with me," he answered as he walked around to her side of the car and opened her door. He extended his hand to her to help her out and she looked at him with a suspicious smile. "Is this where you kill me?"

James couldn't help letting out a laugh. "No," he shook his head. "Just come on. You'll see. I wouldn't do anything to ever hurt you."

Clare grabbed his hand and got out of the car following him to the trunk where he grabbed a blanket and cooler.

"A picnic," Clare let out genuinely impressed as her heart fluttered. It was the best first date she'd been on already.

"Yup," he said with a grin as he nodded his head. "Told you I wasn't gonna kill you."

Clare gave him a flirtatious little nudge and grinned back. "Very funny. This is very sweet actually. I could get used to this."

"I wanted to do something special for you. This place is very romantic, especially at sunset," he said quietly. It was clear by the way he looked at her as he was speaking that he wanted her to be totally on board with what he wanted-- and what he wanted was her. She made him nervous, excited and anxious all at once.

"I'll be the judge of that," she said as they began to walk to a clear cut place in the field-- and as they did James lightly took her hand in his. The second their fingers touched he felt his skin on fire.

***

When James got home after going out with the guys it was pretty damn late, and he was pretty damn drunk. He had his fun with his friends and the girls they chose to party with and when he got home he was thankful that Clare was in bed asleep.

When he woke up the next morning Clare wasn't home, he didn't know where she was but he couldn't help noticing the terrible hangover he was cursed with. He knew he deserved it but that didn't make him feel any better. He realized how he pushed Clare away and basically brushed her off, he'd done it so many times but he wasn't completely immune to the guilt yet. He felt slight conviction about it and that conviction got a little stronger after he brushed his teeth and got out of the shower. He grabbed his keys and went to practice but had it in his mind to set out on a mission to correct his mistake.

Clare pretended to be asleep when James got home but the truth was she couldn't sleep a wink when he wasn't with her. She had become so used to sleeping next to him that when he wasn't there she just didn't feel like herself. She knew immediately that he was wasted and when he collapsed on the bed next to her she curled up even tighter on her end of the bed and silently sobbed. She was thankful she was facing the wall with her back to him so that he couldn't notice-- not that he would anyway.

With how upset and frustrated she was Clare found it easy to wake up and go grocery shopping, leaving her husband to sleep off his hangover in bed alone. She got all the errands done that she needed to get finished and stopped off to get a new toy for the dog before heading home. When she pulled in the driveway she took a deep breath and exhaled with her eyes closed--his car wasn't in the driveway and she had no idea when he would be back. She shook her head as she got out of the car and began to grab the bags that were in the backseat.

After multiple trips to the car and back in the house she had the task of putting everything away. When she was just about done getting the groceries in order she heard James walk through the door. She prepared herself for the awkward exchange that was about to ensue by taking a deep breath, but before she could exhale she felt her husband's hands on her waist.

Clare gasped as she spun around and found herself face to face with James. "You scared the crap out of me," she let out as she looked in his eyes.

"Sorry about that babe," he said as he flashed her that crooked smile she loved so much.

She shimmied out of his grasp and situated her shirt. "How are you feeling this morning," she asked with a hint of sarcasm as she went to empty another bag.

"I, uh, I've felt better."

"I bet."

"Hey," he grabbed her hand as she was about to walk by him and pulled her back to him. "Can you come here for a second?"

James began to lead her out of the kitchen and into the living room. Clare tried to figure out what he was up to as she followed behind him. "This is for you," he said as he turned around and handed her the big Chanel box he had perched on the couch.

Clare looked down at the box with her mouth wide open before looking up at him in amazement. "What is this for?"

"I felt bad for last night," he said simply. "So after practice I made a stop." There was so much more to it than that, but that was the best he could offer up to her. Whenever he felt guilty for his actions he did some gesture to put his own conscious at ease so he could sleep at night. "Open it," he encouraged her because he couldn't wait to see the look on her face.

Clare looked down at the box again but this time when she looked back up at James she had tears in her eyes. James thought it was because she was so happy with his thoughtfulness and generosity that he smiled ear to ear. Clare wanted to do anything but open this pity-gift he'd gotten her. She knew his guilt was getting the better of him and it made her nauseous. He just didn't get it. She didn't want him to go out and buy her something when he screwed up, she wanted her husband back-- the guy who loved her and wanted to spend time with her; the guy who didn't do things that required elaborate presents.

As Clare opened the box which held the expensive purse James had gotten for her she felt the wheels in her head begin to spin. Their marriage was in dire trouble, yes, but she still loved him and she was going to go down swinging for her husband. The lightbulb had gone off and she smiled to herself.

She had an idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you don't hate it. Things will pick up a bit from here. I'm still curious who you think is going to step in, because I haven't told you yet :)

What do you think will happen next?

Thanks for reading! I hope it isn't too boring. I just want to show how broken they are from where they used to be so you can see why she's even with him still. But...for how much longer?