Status: We'll see where this one leads

A Lifelong Promise

Simple

As Clare held Paul's hand in one hand and the horses reins in the other, she couldn't help the beaming smile that eluded from her face. "I'm still in awe of the fact that you knew where to find me," she said as she turned and looked up at him in all his handsomeness.

"I paid attention," he said with a smirk. "I listened to you - I listened to things you said and the things you didn't."

Clare felt her heart flutter as she gave his hand a squeeze. "I can tell." She walked the horse into the barn and secured the reins before turning and melting into Paul. "I'm sorry," she breathed out into his chest once again.

"You have nothing to apologize for," he said sincerely as he gently rubbed her back. "I was never really mad at you."

Clare pulled back and Paul could see the tears glistening in her eyes. "But I have so much that I've been responsible for in your life...so much to apologize for that isn't fair to you..."

Paul delicately grabbed her chin in his hand and made her gaze meet his own. "Yeah," he said confidently. "You're responsible for a lot all right - you're responsible for me being happy, truly happy for the first time in my life. You're responsible for making me a better person."

Clare's lips curled up into an embarrassed smile as her cheeks reddened at his words. She bashfully fluttered her eyes down to the ground of the barn and let out a little laugh before she was able to look back up at him. "I wish I met you when I was eighteen in that ice cream shop all those years ago."

Paul shook his head. "I don't. Not that I wouldn't trade all that time in the world to be with you - but because I wasn't ready to be the guy you deserve to be with yet, and I wouldn't ever want to see your face filled with heartache over dumb things I could have done. I'd hate myself forever if I let you down that way."

Clare leaned in and kissed him as she pressed her body against his. "God I missed you so much," she breathed out in total sincerity.

"Don't leave like that again," he pleaded as he wrapped his arms securely around her and let out a sigh as his chin brushed against her head.

"Never," she promised with every intention of keeping it. This was the most relaxed she'd been since she left Pitt, and being with him was all she really wanted. "I've been through hell and back and I know enough now, I've grown up enough now to know what I want and it's you. I don't care about the rest. Life's too short to play games or make mistakes or be apart from the person you love." She shook her head slowly as she expressed the sentiments that were in her heart as she gracefully looked up into his eyes. "I don't wanna go anywhere. This is it for me. If you get traded I'm coming with you. I'll go wherever you go."

Paul couldn't contain the feeling coursing through his blood making his body almost numb from tingling. Her words electrified him and comforted him to his core, "Good. Because I'm not going anywhere without you." He leaned down and kissed her again before slowing it to a stop. She nuzzled her nose against his before kissing the tip of it and stepping away. "Wanna help me? I need to brush down the horse and clean up after myself, so to speak," she said with a little giggle as she went to take the saddle off the horse and find the brush.

"Sure," he said as he listened to her instructions. When he turned around and saw her gently brushing the beautiful animal in her care, he smiled to himself. "You know, watching you do that kind of makes me hot. I like this country girl I'm seeing."

She smiled wide as she turned to face him. "Oh really?"

"Yeah," he flirted. "You can wear those riding boots you got on any time you want."

Clare walked over and torturously leaned in to his ear. "Maybe I'll only wear these."

Paul's cock stirred in his pants and his heart beat a little faster as he pictured those long legs of hers in nothing but those boots with her impaled on his cock riding mercilessly. "You're killing me."

Clare bit her lip and let out a precious little laugh. "Oh am I?" she taunted him as she slid her hand down his stomach until she had his package in her hand. "Someone's a little turned on," she breathed into his ear with a smirk as she felt his erection in her hand.

"I wasn't kidding," he practically moaned out as he felt her determined fingers gently making his boner grow more there in her hand.

Clare kissed his neck and breathed her hot air on him as she ran her tongue up to his ear. She undid his pants with her hands and slid down slowly on her knees in front of him. His cock sprang free once she pulled his pants down, "What are you doing?" he asked knowing full well her intent.

"I think I owe you one of these," she said as she breathed hot air on to the tip of his oozing erection. Just as she was about to take him in her mouth he aggressively picked her up and slammed her into the pile of hay next to them. "No," he panted as he desperately slipped off her boots and tugged at her pants. "I want this," he moaned as he hungrily pushed into her and felt her walls stretching to accommodate his aching dick.

Clare threw her head back and relished in Paul's assertive decision - she'd been missing him as much as he'd been physically missing her during their separation. "Oh my God yes," she moaned as he pumped her at will. She wrapped her legs around him and pulled him into her deeper, felt his thrusts penetrate her harder sending her into a euphoric state. She was completely undone with him and let herself go in his arms.

After being apart for longer than he could stand it wasn't a secret that Paul was itching to bust his load. His adrenaline and emotions coupled against him and it didn't take long before he was ready to come inside her - luckily for him she was just as horny for him as he was for her. He moaned out as he came and kissed her softly as he slowed to a stop. "You're so beautiful to me," he said with a content smile on his face as he search her eyes. Clare could see the sincerity pouring out of him and it sent shivers down her spine. "You are by far the best thing that's ever happened to me," she replied with just as much passion.

He leaned down and kissed her again before pulling out and standing up straight. "I'm not going to lie Clare, I feel a little bad I just fucked you in your grandparents barn."

She couldn't help letting out a laugh as he helped her up to her feet, "Don't worry. What they don't know won't hurt them."

"I hope you're right, because I feel like kind of a dirtbag now," he teased as he helped pluck the hay strands from her hair.

"Yeah but I don't know if I could have waited til we got home. I really missed you."

"Well I guess you're right - it was here or the plane..."

"Something tells me here would be a bit more comfortable," she flirted back as she put one boot on followed by the other.

"We'll just have to do it on the plane now and compare which is better."

Clare let out a playful gasp and shook her head. "Don't count on that one," she said with a precious giggle. "But I'll happily cuddle with you the whole flight home. Deal?"

"I think I can definitely manage that one."

"Good, because we gotta go book a flight immediately," Clare demanded as she began to head towards the doors to exit the barn.

"Wait," Paul said softly as he reached for her arm and slowed her to a stop.

"What's wrong?" she asked him as she searched his eyes.

"James...." he sighed not wanting to make a big thing of it. "You two..."

Clare's eyes flickered down and her shoulders dropped knowing exactly what Paul was getting at. "He tried. It didn't get far."

"I know." He nodded his head and gave an her an understanding glance. "I trust you."

"I wouldn't do anything to hurt you, either. I just want to go home and be with you and forget this whole thing."

"It won't be that simple. It's never that simple with him."

"I know," she nodded her agreement. "But my life with you is just us going forward and pressing on. He's done all he can do to ruin it all and we've survived. Let him do what he wants to do, it doesn't change a thing between you and I."

"Sid said that no one's getting traded but I'm still not sure how confident I am in that. I don't trust Neal and I wouldn't be surprised if he went to Ray or --"

"That's why I backed away," she winced at his words as she interrupted him. It was clearly something that bothered her but it wasn't going to break her. "But if he does do that and something happens, I already told you I'm coming with you. But, let's just see how it goes. Worry about that if we have to; if we get to it."

"Yeah," he said knowing she was right. He was hoping he never had to put her to the test and that their life would remain exactly how it'd been. He didn't want to have to ask her to uproot her life despite what she told him. He let out a deep breath as he lifted her hand up and kissed the top of it before leading her out into the sun.

***

Paul slept soundly next to Clare when they finally got back to Pitt and crawled into her bed. He pulled her into him and held her close all night not wanting to let her go. When the sun broke through he knew he had to get up and make his way back to his apartment to get ready for practice. Before he left the building he stopped back at her place and left her a sweet note simply telling her he loved her and he'd see her when he got back. He didn't see the need to wake his sleeping princess, so he leaned down and kissed her head gently. "I love you," he silently breathed out before moving his lips off hers and making his way to practice.

When he walked in the arena he went to his locker and began to get dressed. He looked over at Sid who raised his brow at him and shot him back a smile. No words needed to be said in that exchange for either to know what the other was saying, and when Sid flashed a grin with an approving head nod Paul turned his focus back to his pads.

He didn't pay much attention to everyone else, he had his routine and rituals that kept him focused so when he felt a tap on his shoulder he thought nothing of it. He turned his head and felt his breath hitch in his throat as he looked into the eyes of the GM.

"Hi Paul," Ray said quietly.

Paul nodded his head at him, "Hi," he responded politely waiting to see what would be said next.

"Do you have a few minutes? Can we chat in my office?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I am sorry it took so long for me to update! I didn't realize it'd been so long with Christmas and the holidays and all that. I hope you didn't forget about the story or lose interest in the meantime.

What do you think is going to happen next? Are you happy with where things are?
Thanks for reading, you guys rock