Status: We'll see where this one leads

A Lifelong Promise

Awkward

Clare waited until she knew without a shadow of a doubt that James wasn't there. She felt the pit in her stomach and the tears threatening to fall as she realized she'd been stood up by her own husband. She was dressed all nicely standing against her car as she tried to call James but he wasn't answering. She inhaled slowly and tried to keep her emotions in check, but just as she was about to open the door and get in the car she saw a familiar face.

"Hey," she borderline yelled but in a very gentle tone getting his attention since it was clear he wasn't very observant.

Paul Martin spun around and gave her a friendly smile the second he laid his eyes on her. "Hi Clare. Can't believe I didn't see you there. What brings you here?"

"That's okay," she shook her head with a sweet laugh. "Um, actually I was hoping you could tell me where James is."

Paul shook his head as he rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. "No, I'm sorry Clare I don't know where he went off to. I saw him leave the locker room but that's about it-- and it was a while ago. He isn't here?"

Clare's eyes dropped to the ground as she tried to mask her pain. "Oh. That's..." she trailed off as she shook her head and tried to put her brave face back on. "Thanks," she said as she looked up at Paul with a very sad expression and he felt his heart sink for her.

"Is everything okay?" he asked as he took a step towards her. "Seriously."

"It's fine," she tried to convince him with that classic response but was unsuccessful at doing so.

"Well I can put two and two together. You walked out of here alone the other night crying, you're about to burst into tears now. I know it isn't my business but...what's up?"

"I...I don't even know anymore," she breathed out and let down her wall. "We were supposed to have lunch today. He told me to meet him here after practice and I've been waiting and he isn't here. I can't get in touch with him. I called him twice. I don't know. I guess, I don't know..." she trailed off again. It was abundantly clear how sad she was and it pulled at Paul's heartstrings.

"I'm really sorry," he breathed out. "I don't know where he is though, I wish I could help."

"It's okay," Clare said as she wiped away the tears that had started to steam down her face. She couldn't hold them all in anymore.

"Do...do you want to get lunch or a coffee or something? I feel pretty bad here, I'm not sure what the right thing to do in a situation like this is..." he said compassionately. Watching her cry due to her husband's neglect stirred up some type of anger in Paul-- he was pissed that his friend would put such an adorable, sweet woman through this, especially since it was his wife.

"No," she shook her head and gave a little laugh, perhaps amused at her own self-pity. "Thank you but no. I don't need you to feel sorry for me. I'm sorry I even dragged you into this."

"No," he shook his head to try and make her see it wasn't all pity-- he wanted to do what he could to help her. She was so vulnerable as she stood in front of him he felt wrong just walking away without doing everything he could to at least make her smile. "I just don't know what to say," he blurted out completely honest with her. "I really wish I could do something..."

"You already have," she interrupted. "You've been so sweet and kind and haven't blown me off or walked away, and even though it's only been a short conversation you don't know how much that means or how nice that is."

Pat's lips curled up into something of a smile and he tilted his head as he looked at her. "For what it's worth-- and keep this between us-- I think he's an idiot for not being here. Is there any way he just forgot or had to go somewhere, some kind of emergency came up?"

"No," she said softly. "He forgot alright but I'm willing to bet it's because he hasn't given a crap about me in...I don't even know. I just feel so embarrassed right now."

"Don't," Paul immediately insisted. "I can absolutely tell you with complete confidence that if anything, he should feel embarrassed. Not you."

"Thank you," Clare answered with relief and appreciation. "I'm...I'm gonna head out and let you get on your way. I'll see you soon?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "Just, can I at least give you a hug?" he didn't know what else to do or offer but it seemed like the right thing to do. He couldn't help himself from asking and when she nodded her head and gave a cute, "of course," he stepped into her and gave her a real hug.

"Alright then," he said as he was about to turn to go on his way and she was about to get in her car. "I'll see you soon."

Clare nodded and got in the car but before she could close the door she heard him call to her. "Hey!"

She looked up at him unsure of what he wanted and waited for him to continue speaking. "If I were you," he started with a suggestive tone. "I wouldn't be coming to the game tonight."

Clare's lips curled up into a grin and she nodded her head. "Thanks for the advice," she yelled back as she closed the door and got on her way.

***A Few Years Back***

When James first was traded to Pittsburgh he had to go before Clare could join him. It took some time for her to get things together and move with him and each day she wasn't there he didn't feel complete. He stayed in each night and talked to her on the phone, barely went out with the guys even though he was still trying to get to know everyone, and didn't even glance at other women-- even the ones that went above and beyond to get his attention.

When the day had finally come for Clare to move with him to Pittsburgh for good he met her at the airport and when he saw her she ran and jumped into his arms. "Home sweet home baby," he cooed into her ear not wanting to put her down yet.

"I missed you," she squealed as she clung to him. They were married and had been forced to live apart if only for a little while.

"We get to sleep in the same bed tonight and every night now. You don't know how much I've missed that," he breathed out as he pet the back of her head and pulled back just enough to kiss her. "I'm glad you're finally with me. The dog too."

"You mean you haven't been enjoying this bachelor lifestyle you've gotten to live all here by yourself without me," she teased him as she ran her hand gently over his forehead and through his hair.

"Hell no. I gave that up the second I met you."

"I know you did, I trust you," she said sweetly as she reaffirmed her faith in him. "Can we go home now?"

James smiled when he heard her say those words. "I've been waiting to get you into our new home permanently since the second I got here." James put Clare back down on her feet and grabbed her hand giving it a little squeeze before letting go and fetching the luggage.

When they walked through the doors of what was their new home that they were finally both going to be living in together, James grabbed Clare by her waist and spun her into him. "Hey, I was thinking that you should meet me at the arena tomorrow after practice. We can go to lunch or take a tour...something. I just don't want to be apart more than we have to since we've been apart much longer than any married couple should be."

Clare smiled as she looked up at him and delicately placed her hand on his cheek. "I love that idea."

"Good. I wouldn't let you say no anyway," he flirted before leaning down to kiss her hard. When he pulled back he grabbed her hand in his and raised his eyebrows before he turned and led her up the stairs to their room.

The next day he walked out of the arena and smiled the second he saw Clare waiting for him. He scooped her up into his arms and hugged her tightly. "You look beautiful." He was so happy she was there and with him that he had more adrenaline pumping through him than usual during practice, and holding her in his arms made his day. "Ready to go?"

Clare reached up and kissed him before answering, "Yeah, let's go."

He walked around and opened her door for her before getting in the driver's seat.

***

When James woke up from his pre-game nap he saw he had two missed calls from Clare but didn't think anything of it. He headed home after practice got out a little earlier than expected and couldn't shake the feeling like he was forgetting something but it didn't hinder him from falling asleep quickly.

He went downstairs to make lunch and found it slightly odd that Clare wasn't there. She hadn't answered his phone calls when he tried to call her back but he figured she would get back to him when she could and he didn't give it much more thought before he started his way back to the arena to get ready for the game. He was so disinterested in their life and the sad part was he didn't realize it. He thought things between them were good despite the fact there was a point in time he'd never forget plans they made.

He walked in the arena like he didn't have a care in the world and when he placed his stuff at his locker he saw Paul heading over to him.

"Hey man," Paul said as he walked over to him which caused James to turn his head.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Not much." Paul was kind of awkward and acting a little curious which James should have been able to immediately pick up on.

"What's up?" James asked again with a hint of laughter finally catching on to his friend's behavior.

"Um," Paul crossed his arms across his chest and fidgeted around. "Just, well," he started to stutter out unsure of how to bring up what he wanted to say. "I, uh, I saw Clare before...after practice. She was, uh, she was looking for you. Did she ever, um...get ahold of you?"

"FUUUUUCK," James dropped his head back and let out a gasp of air as he felt his heart sink down to his balls. "That's why she called me," he said to no one but himself realizing the big mistake he'd made this afternoon.

"I'm guessing that's a no..." Paul commented awkwardly, completely confused as to how his friend could be so stupid.

"We were supposed to have lunch. She's gotta be pissed," James said knowing full well she would be and already trying to come up with a way to make it up to her so she wouldn't be mad at him.

"Yeah she mentioned that, seemed pretty upset too..."

"Shit," he breathed out again. "She asked me all cute. Left a card for me yesterday morning asking me to get lunch and I said yes and I totally forgot."

"You never used to forget things like that," Paul said remembering how into her James used to be. He knew it wasn't his business but he also knew Clare didn't deserve the treatment she was getting from her husband. "You never used to fool around on her either..." he said under his breath.

"Hey," James whipped his head up and looked at Paul angrily. "That's my business, not yours."

"You're right," Paul said defensively as he began to walk away. "Just don't be surprised when she isn't here tonight."

"You don't even know what you're talking about," James threw back angrily as he fiercely defended his actions. "You don't know her. She'll be here, she's always here," he said more quietly, almost under his breath as if he were trying to convince himself as he turned and faced his locker.

James couldn't wait to get on the ice for the start of the game so he could look up and see Clare smiling down at him like she always was, but when he looked to find her, she wasn't there.
♠ ♠ ♠
How's it going so far? What do you think is gonna happen next? Is James gonna wake up soon and realize what he's done?

Thanks for reading and for commenting!! I hope you like it.