Status: We'll see where this one leads

A Lifelong Promise

Nervous

"You're sure?" Clare asked again as she looked at James. She knew it was clear as day all the emotions she felt were plastered on her face. She felt confused, a little hurt and somewhat skeptical of the invitation to go out with them and she didn't want to go if James didn't really want her to.

"Yeah," James answered after a few seconds. "I think...it'd uh, we'd have fun. Why not?" He swallowed as he looked down at her confirming that she was invited. She wouldn't have been if it hadn't been for Paul, but James knew once it was out there he couldn't take it back.

Clare started to slowly nod her head. "Okay. Yeah. That would be fun. As long as you really want me to go, I'd love to."

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Well you haven't invited me out with your friends in...a long time," she said trying to think back to the last time he wanted to go out with her like this. She'd gotten so used to her husband blowing her off and breaking off a little piece of her heart at a time that she didn't know how to accept an invitation out.

Instead of trying to defend his actions or say anything to disprove what she just said, James leaned in and grabbed by the waist as he gave her a quick kiss. "I want you to now." James looked down at her and held her gaze until she couldn't hold back the smile anymore. "Kapeesh?"

Clare placed her hand on his cheek and leaned up to kiss him back. "Kapeesh," she said quietly with a little nod.

James walked away for a brief second to say something to one of the guys and Clare turned to Paul. "I know you had a lot to do with that," she said conspicuously as she gave him a devious grin.

"You think so?" Paul asked her as his lips curled up into a smirk.

"Yeah," she answered more sincere this time. "Thank you," she whispered into his ear as she wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him a real hug.

When she pulled away she gave him one more smile and turned to focus on her husband as he walked back over.

***

* About a year earlier *

James walked through the door and couldn't wait to see his wife. He wore street clothes and a smile as he was on his way back from practice and prepared to be in for the rest of the night. He had no game and nothing on the agenda other than being with Clare-- it didn't happen like that a lot on Friday's but when it did he took full advantage.

"Hey baby," he yelled as he looked for her the second he walked in.

"Coming!" he heard her yell from up the stairs. He could tell she was running from their room, down the hall, and down the stairs and not even five seconds later she appeared at the top. She ran down the stairs and leapt into his arms. "Hi baby," she said as she embraced him before pulling back and giving him a hard kiss.

James moaned into her mouth and smiled against her. "These are for you," he said as he whipped up the bouquet of flowers in his hands and held them out for her.

"I thought they might have been," she said flirtatiously. "What'd you pick this week?" It was a weekly ritual-- he'd buy her flowers every Friday as long as he wasn't on the road. It'd been like that since the beginning and it was one of their little relationship quirks. Each week he'd get her something new depending on the season and each Friday she'd put them in the vase and set them on display on their table for the week.

"The woman in the shop said they're called," he looked up at the ceiling trying to remember the exact name of the flowers in his hand. "Par...birds of paradise," he said as the light went off in his head.

"Wow," she said with a smile and gave him another quick kiss. "Sounds very exotic. I love them. Thank you!"

"I thought you'd be impressed," he flirted as he ran his hand down and gave her ass a little squeeze. "You know something?" he asked quietly as he looked down into her eyes.

"What's that?"

"You're so damn beautiful," he said sincerely, truly meaning the words that were coming out of his mouth. He watched Clare's lips curl up and she pushed into him a little harder. She placed her hand on his cheek and leaned up to kiss him softly on his gorgeous lips. As he kissed her back she ran her hand down his arm, moved it to his stomach and pulled back giving him a seductive grin as she began to tug at his pants.

He walked her backwards with his lips on hers until they reached the table where he could place the flowers down on. Once his hands were free, he picked her up, ripped her shirt off and kissed down her neck until he made it to the couch where he plopped her down and crawled on top of her.

"I love Friday's," she moaned out as he desperately pulled her pants off and quickly shoved himself inside her as if he'd die if he had to wait another second.

"Me too," he panted as he meticulously pushed in and out.

***

James was a little stiff as he held her hand and they all walked inside. He didn't know what to expect, he just knew that there was the potential for this night to go very badly. Girls knew him where they were going, the bartenders were aware of his indiscretions, but they didn't know Clare. There would be nothing giving them the hint to not say anything in front of her that could put him in boiling hot water.

When James saw one of the bartenders working that he'd gone home with once and engaged in flirtation with on more than one occasion he felt his heart stop and his eyes go wide.

"Hey," he turned to Clare and gave her a quick kiss. "I'll get us drinks. Go find somewhere for us to sit with the guys." He looked up and got Paul's attention, "Hey man," he yelled and Paul looked back at him. "Come here." James looked from Paul to Clare. "Take her with you guys I'll get the drinks."

"You sure?" Paul asked uncertain of if that was the right thing for him to do.

"Yeah," James nodded. "I'll be right there." He gave Clare's hand a little squeeze before he let go and walked away to the bar leaving her in Paul's care.

"Well, that was fast," she said under her breath as she rolled her eyes. She didn't think anyone could hear her but Paul did.

"I guess we should catch up with the rest of the guys over there," he nodded his head to their general direction and led Clare with his hand on her lower back.

"Should I have come?" she asked as they made their way through the sea of people. "Really?" she looked up at him and he could see the hurt in her eyes.

"Yeah," he answered with a nod. "Of course you should have. Why wouldn't you think you should?"

"He doesn't want me here Paul. Look at him. He couldn't be more uncomfortable if I were a leper."

Paul grinned and kinda shook his head. "Nah. I couldn't imagine anyone not wanting you with them. I don't know, just try and have fun. You deserve that. I'm sure he'll be fine."

"You're too nice to me," she tilted her head and gave him a genuine smile. He could see the relief and appreciation on her face and as of lately, she hadn't felt that way around her husband.

"So?" he said partially teasing her, partially trying to keep his distance.

"Why?"

"I just...I think you deserve it."

"Well I appreciate it more than you know." She wasn't flirting but her words couldn't have been more true.

Paul nodded at something behind Clare causing her to turn around, and when she did she met eyes with James who was struggling to get through the crowd with all their drinks.

"Here babe," he said nonchalantly as he placed her drink down in front of her then handed Paul his.

"Thanks," she said softly as she lifted her head up and kissed him on the cheek. "You okay?"

"Yeah," he nodded nervously. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Who was that bartender back there? Boy her eyes sure lit up when you walked in."

"Who?" he asked with a guilty conscious. "Oh, her?" James nodded back to the bar and swallowed. "She just knows us from when we come in. I guess we're on friendly terms. No big deal."

"Uh huh," Clare pursed her lips together and took a sip of her drink. She was holding back a lot of thing she wanted to say. As she put the straw to her lips she gave a little head shake.

James sat down and pulled Clare down onto his lap. "Nothing to worry about," he said as he gave her a little peck on the cheek. "You're my girl."

"I'm your wife," she said quickly, more irritated than before.

"And you're the best wife a guy could ask for." He was trying to suck up a little bit-- he knew that Clare wasn't an idiot and she was rightfully suspicious of the bartender who had eyes on her husband-- a bartender dressed to elicit tips from male patrons.

"Mmmhmm."

"Hey," he said more assertively, forcing her to look him in the eyes. He had his hand wrapped around her back and rested on the side of her thigh. When she met his gaze he placed his drink down and stroked her face. "I mean it. I love you."

She nodded her head as if she accepted his words and leaned in to kiss him. "I love you too."

"I'm the luckiest guy here to have you in my arms," he whispered against her lips. His fingers were running through her long tresses and he gave her nose a little nuzzle.

James felt Clare's lips smile against his own and it made his stomach to turns. He hadn't sent her the flowers that set off the amazing few days they'd been having, but he couldn't deny he was feeling things towards her he'd been suppressing for a long time. He didn't even realize he'd suppressed it all for so long, because at the core of it all he did love her. He was beginning to realize he was just a selfish fuck up.

"Hey guys," James pulled his face away from Clare's as he felt someone's hand on his shoulder. When he turned to see who it was he realized it was the bartender he'd asked not to be obvious earlier when they arrived and she was doing the exact opposite. "I brought you over a round- this one's on me," she said flirtatiously as she continued to rub James' shoulder, giving it a little squeeze, before leaning down and putting her fake tits on display. "I brought you your favorite," she whispered into his ear as she gave him a little wink.

James could see Clare's face as she inhaled slowly and turned away. She shook her head and stood up, walking away from him to try and catch her composure. As the bartender walked away James popped up and grabbed Paul by the arm. "Dance with Clare," he demanded frantically.

"What?" Paul looked at him with wide eyes. "No," he said adamantly putting his foot down.

"Why not?"

"I..." Paul stuttered out trying to give a good excuse, "Just, no."

"Please, just dance with her, distract her for a minute. I need to go talk to Melissa. She's trying to fuck up everything on purpose."

Paul let out an irritated sigh and rolled his eyes as he nodded his head against his better judgment. "Fine."

"Thanks man, I'll be right back," James breathed out as he ran towards the bar.

Paul took in a deep breath before he walked over to Clare. "Wanna dance with me?"

"You sure you're asking the right girl?" she looked at him surprised.

"Definitely," Paul said with a smirk. "James is getting drinks or something," he tried to give a convincing cover story though he could tell she knew better. "So why don't you dance with me."

Clare gave a little nod. "Okay," she gave her compliance as she felt him take her by the hand and lead her on the dance floor.

Paul nervously wrapped his arms around her and felt her body begin to move against him. He swallowed and found himself needing to remind himself to breathe. "You alright?" he asked after about a minute. He knew she was onto James and he felt for her.

"You know," she started as she shook her head. "I really thought things were changing with him. You know, he used to come home with flowers every Friday for me. As long as he wasn't on the road, it didn't matter what happened, he always came home with flowers. It was Flower Friday. He used to do things like that, show he cared. That's why when we had that big fight when he just forgot about our date...that's why I was so eager to forgive him. He sent me flowers-- it was like homage to the good times and now I'm not so sure."

"Not sure about what?" Paul asked her as he looked into her eyes. He didn't know what she meant by that statement.

"I'm not sure what he even wants anymore."

"Well...what do you want?"

"What do I want? I want my husband to love me. I want him to be the guy he used to be when I married him. I want him to want to spend time with me. And mostly I want to walk into a bar with him and not feel like he's already screwed every girl in here."

"You think...you think he's..." Paul tried to ask but didn't know how to word it. If he said it and she asked him if James had been unfaithful, Paul didn't think he had the strength to lie to her.

"I don't know anymore," she said sadly as she looked down at the ground.

Paul put his index finger under her chin and forced her to look up at him. "It's gonna be okay," he whispered. "One way or another," he said as he sweetly tucked her hair behind her ear and ran his fingers through it. She closed her eyes at his touch and almost leaned into his hand before she felt it fall back to her waist. She couldn't remember the last time she'd been touched like that-- sensually and sincerely.

"Clare..." Paul breathed her name out and swallowed nervously. "I...I think..." he began to speak with a racing heart but didn't get to finish. James came up from behind Clare and pulled her out of Paul's grip. "I need to talk to you," he said as he spun her around and into him.

He placed his hand on Paul's shoulder. "Thanks man," he said with a nod before they walked away leaving Paul feeling cold on the dance floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well...what do you think is going on? Paul? James? What do you think will happen next?

Thank you for reading, I really hope you're liking it.