These Four Words

Cause we can't be friends that much I know

John called his best friend on the phone to arrange the ice cream date he promised her. He felt bad for the way Caroline treated her, and even how he had been treating her. After that party he felt a noticeable shift in their friendship and he didn’t want that to continue.

“Moe’s?” Sarah asks when she gets the call inviting her to get some dessert.

“Where else?” John chuckles on the other line. “I’m walking over.”

Ten seconds later, John is at her door. Sarah throws on flip-flops and they start walking to Moe’s café. It is a cute little locally owned place that the two loved to go to for their amazing ice cream.

Sarah took in the scenery on the walk there. She had loved Arizona her whole life. Growing up, all of her friends wanted to move out once they got old enough, and she knew for a fact they were going to live up to that promise. Sarah never wanted to leave. Sure it was hot. But the plant life was amazing to her. Cacti and palm trees. She also loved all of the little houses. She thought Arizona was the most beautiful place in the world.

“Don’t you love it here?” She says closing her eyes taking a deep breath, breathing in the dry heat.

“You are so funny, Sar. I don’t think I have ever met someone who loved Arizona as much as you.”

“How can you not? It’s the best place in the world.”

“I want to travel. I want to play music and travel.” John had been trying to get a band together for years. He had a few lame unsuccessful ones, but he knew his big break was coming. Sarah on the other hand couldn’t imagine leaving.

“If you are traveling, and I am staying put, how will we ever see each other?” Sarah asks. It was a valid question, but one that Sarah didn’t want to put much thought into. She knew John would make it big because he was the most dedicated and ambitious person she knew.

“Come with me! Come on tour with me and my band!” Sarah laughed at him planning a future. He didn’t even have a band yet to go touring with.

“Me? On tour? I think that would be the worst idea in the world! I can’t imagine living with you for months! That sounds horrid!” She joked pushing him lightly.

“That sounds horrid!” John mocks her in a falsetto. “Come on! It would be so much fun. You and me, taking on the world.” John wrapped his arms around her. Sarah didn’t want this moment to end. Being in her arms was enough to make her even consider touring with him.

“What about college?”

“Screw college. I might go if I don’t have a band by then, but I don’t want a normal job that you get from going to college, I want to be a rock star!” John screams the last part of the sentence. And by the time that discussion was over, they were finally at Moe’s.

“Two double fudge banana sundays with extra brownies and jimmies.” John orders. They got the same thing every time. Eric often mocked them saying they would get diabetes if they kept ordering that, but they loved that ice cream.

John pulls out a chair for Sarah to sit in, like a gentleman. “Mi lady.” He says with a bow.

“Thank you, good sir.” Sarah beamed seeing how things were going back to normal. It was just her and John and no one else in the world. John smiled as well noticing that their routine was back.

“So. What party are we going to this weekend?” John asked.

“Let’s just have a movie night? Popcorn. Candy. Action movie.” Sarah suggests. She was getting kind of tired of always going out. Granted she had fun, she wanted to have a slow weekend. She missed movie nights with John.

“Yes! Um, are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

“Star Wars marathon!” They both yell in unison. They both loved Star Wars. Sarah’s favorite was Episode 6 and John liked Episode 4. They both agreed that the first 3 were shit.

Moe hand delivered their sundays and they thanked him. Moe was a sweet old man who had been running this business for years now.

“So how’s Caroline?” Sarah asked quickly as if she was ripping off a bandaid.

“Haven’t talked to her since. She was a bitch. Sorry.”

Sarah was relieved to hear that her friend wasn’t still seeing the worst girl at school, but she still hoped her wasn’t upset. “You ok?”

“Yeah. I could never like a girl who didn’t like my girl.” John said reaching in to give her a noogie.

“Yup, I’m your girl.” Sarah said in a downcast voice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this chapter is almost complete filler. I just wanted to put something out there. But the next chapters will be more interesting I promise!