Status: probs won't even edit this every Sunday, it'll be all weirdo bc school is in full swing holla

Finding Atlas

NINE

Image
"How did you know my name?" I asked him at school the next day. Atlas laughed and shook his head before saying, "I've worked at Bardia's since August, Rom, and you come in nearly every day for your fix of whatever you're feeling. You're a regular, it's like, law to know your name."

"But I've never said my name to you before." I said as my eyes narrowed. Rom. I liked it. Now, Atlas merely rolled his eyes in response.

"Do you know who else works at Bardia's? Alphonse Gautreaux. Old guy. A little bit on the heftier side, and, I'll admit it, kind of a tough guy. But with a heart of gold. And he talks about you as if you put the stars in the sky." Now it was my turn to shake my head and smile. Alphonse Gautreaux was nearing his mid-sixties and was exactly as Atlas described: a tough guy with a heart of gold. He was the first person at Bardia's to convince me to eat a beignet, and I was convinced he was a magic maker.

"Why is it such a big deal, anyway?" he said as we walked to my locker.

"Because!" I exclaimed, almost petulantly. "No one calls me by my actual name, it's embarrassing," I mumbled as I open my locker and pull out my music and theory books.

"Cal!" I heard a musical voice cry out. Delphine. The part of me that wanted to keep Atlas to myself was telling me not to introduce them, but the part of me that wanted to share Atlas with the world got the better of me and before I knew it, the words were out of my mouth.

"Delphie, this is Atlas. Atlas, Delphine Savoie, my best friend." Atlas held out his hand until realization dawned on him.

"Oh, my god! I practically bulldozed you over! I am so sorry for that, by the way, I swear I meant no harm." I remember feeling like that moment was frozen after the words left his mouth. When he recognized her, it was like he was a little boy apologizing for ruining another student's art project. And then, it was the look of adoration that was normal when it came to all things Delphie. I laughed, taking note of how unsurprised I was. Of course Atlas looked starstruck as he gazed upon Delphine.

And then time unfroze, and Delphine was laughing and saying, "It's all right, don't worry about it!" As usual, the Southern twinge of her words was charming another poor soul. "Anyways, I better get to class. Ms. Ledet wants to talk to me about the plans for the winter concert, so I gotta get there early! I'll see you in class, Cal, and it was great to meet you, Atlas!" she called from behind her as she rushed to the band room, but not before she threw a wink my way.

"She seems nice," he said, snapping out of his haze as the bell rang.

"Oh, she's nice all right," I muttered drily before walking off to class.
♠ ♠ ♠
shit's gettin real
real fast
ooh snap
YOU GUYS ARE TOO KIND TO EXIST OK ILYSM

8.5.13