Till Kingdom Come

Come Out And Play

Noelle couldn’t remember the car ride. After her sister was pulled from her grasp, and Daryl dragged Noelle back to the car, everything around her began to seem so surreal. As Daryl sped through the night, keeping up with Rick and Glenn, while Noelle simply sat on the passenger side staring forward, eyes glazed over. Daryl snapped his fingers at her, and tried yelling at her, but sounds were muffled. Noelle couldn’t hear anything around her, and images were blurred. It’s as though everything was moving so quickly, yet so slowly; as if everything were happening all at once and then not at all.

She didn’t even remember arriving at the prison, or the moment when Glenn helped her out of the car and into the prison. The way she felt, she was surprised her feet managed to carry her anywhere. Once inside, Glenn lowered her onto the floor while everyone rushed to her aid.

“Beth, get me a bottle of water. Daryl, a piece of cloth or something please.” Rick spoke up. Once everyone rushed to him with the supplies, he grabbed the clean rag Daryl had given him and soaked it with water, placing it on Noelle’s head.

“Guys, what happened back there?” Maggie asked.
“We had a little encounter with the Governor.” Rick spoke up.

“He took Noelle’s sister, put a gun to her head. I think she’s in shock.” Daryl spoke, gaining looks from everyone around them. But everyone seemed to stay put and just stare at Noelle in awe, sympathy in their eyes. “Damnit, she needs some goddamn space is all!!”

With that being said, everyone dispersed and made themselves busy with the nearest chores. Carl lingered a little longer, sadness in his eyes, as Daryl looked up at him and gave him a small nod. After that, Daryl and Noelle were left alone as Daryl passed the wet cloth around her face and neck.

Minutes later, Daryl spoke up.
“Sorry ‘bout what happened. I’m sure we’ll find her.” It was at that moment, for the first time since everything had happened, that the words seemed clear and were able to register in Noelle’s head. She turned her face to Daryl and stared at him with dark eyes as she roughly pushed his hand away.

“I found her, and you let him steal her from me. Go away.” Noelle spoke barely above a whisper, but her tone was harsh and hurtful.

Daryl scoffed furiously and got up to walk away, his tough exterior remaining as he stood in front of her. But he couldn’t help turning his head and looking at her small figure as he walked away, pain in his eyes.

-----------

The morning sun shone vaguely through the metal bars and everyone in the prison rose, quietly scurrying around and getting ready to do whichever chores needed to be finished. Daryl lay wide away in the perch, arms behind his head as he stared up at the ceiling thinking about Merle…and much to his surprise, Sandy too. He too knew what it was like to be separated from a sibling, and he felt remorse in his heart. He only hoped he could help find her once more, ALIVE.

Noelle sat on the floor leaning against a wall, fidgeting impatiently with her hands. She was waiting for the sun to reach it’s morning peak before she headed out once more in search of Sandy, and the Governor. Staring up at the window, she counted the minutes until a large roaring noise broke her out of her thoughts.

“Mr. Rick Grimes!!!! I think it’s time to come out and play!” The voice was distinct, and panic ensued in cell clock C once they heard the Governor’s voice yelling from outside the prison gates. But while everyone feared for what might happened, Noelle was quickly making her way outside, gun at the ready. Rick quickly grabbed her arm and pulled her back.

“No one goes outside!” Rick spoke. “We’ll handle this.” With that, Rick motioned his head for Daryl and Glen to follow him outside.

The Governor stood atop a tank, bull horn in hand as he waited for the prison group to make their way outside. But the one victim he was waiting for didn’t step foot onto the courtyard, and his sick mind was growing impatient.

“Now now men, where’s that pretty little damsel from last night. Noelle!!” the Governor called out. “I got something of yours.”

Noelle could hear the Governor’s voice echoing through the cell block and immediately stood up once more. She knew it could’ve been a trick, she knew it could’ve been a lie, but she had to go outside. Carol and Maggie tried to hold her back, but nothing could keep her from getting to Sandy. Judith’s cries echoed loudly as Noelle stormed out of the cell block.

Once outside, Daryl ran to her side and started pushing her back, trying to overpower her anger, but it was difficult to do so without hurting her. Noelle was no longer worried, or afraid, she only felt anger, seeking revenge.

“Now there she is.” the Governor said slyly. “Your friend Rick Grimes has my people, I have your sister…seems like an even exchange to me.”

“Hand her over!” yelled Daryl, crossbow pointed at the Governor’s head. The Governor smirked and gave an eerie whistle. After that, everything happened so fast.

From behind the tank came Martinez, pulling behind him Sandy, a bag covering her head and her hands tied with rope. But when he released her hands and pulled off the bag, it wasn’t Sandy standing there. She had a very evident bite mark on her neck, her skin was pale and her eyes white, showing no signs of life.

Noelle let out a weak gasp and almost collapsed on the floor before Daryl grabbed her. It hadn’t quite registered yet in Noelle’s mind. This wasn’t her sister, this MONSTER was not Sandy.

As the Governor chuckled viciously, Noelle stood furiously and marched towards the fence, Rick and Daryl yelling at her to stop. Glenn shouted at Daryl to get her, gun aimed at the Governor, and Rick shouted at Noelle to stop. It was all a mess, voices overlapping one another with panic. Until one single gun shot rang in the air, and everyone went quiet.

Noelle’s gun was raised, smoke still coming out of the barrel and everyone stared in shock as Sandy collapsed to the floor, a bullet hole dead between her eyes.