Thursday

Only One

"Another day on my way to school, in that subway wagon; I was staring at you. That stranger, the one my eyes loved to see since I was eleven. By then, I was already in high school and I was eighteen years old.
From the first time I had seen you, I knew you were a humble boy despite your looks. Big turquoise-ish eyes, black long hair and skin as white as snow.
Feeling sorry for myself, for not being one of those worked up dudes, or even confident enough to walk to you and just ask a simple “what’s your name”. At that time I thought you weren’t even into guys, you were just too beautiful to be real.
The mere thought of you sitting across the wagon excited me, causing me to wear the coolest clothes I had in my closet, hoping you would notice, but you never did.
But one day you finally looked at me, slightly smiling while I looked the other way, pretending I didn’t see you staring. When I was sure you weren’t looking at me anymore, I couldn’t help but hold my breath while I admired the beautiful features of your face.
This went on from Monday to Friday; looking at you sitting in the same spot everyday. Face to face with no word to say in that 30-minute lapse, silence came and went like the blur in the windows from each passing station.
Days went by with no news, aside from the fact that I had spent a few days out of town, at my uncle’s.
Suddenly, one day my lips mouthed the first words.
“What’s y-your n-ame?” I stuttered, while I imagined how dumb I must’ve looked to you. You looked up and smiled.
“Kellin and I barely know you but I’ve missed you these days.” You said as my heart skept a beat, you stood up and time stop for me. “Each morning I rather to take this train instead of going straight in the bus.”
I watched as the train slowed down, leaving me thinking about how happy I was with the fact that I knew your name now. That day, that smile didn’t leave my face at all. That July eleventh was special.
Suddenly you took my hand between the crowd, as you lead me into a tunnel and I trembled out of fear.
“I won’t hurt you. Calm down.” You said while you caressed my cheek in the darkness.
I took your hand and made my way to your face, while I plucked the courage to take your cheeks in my hands and collided my lips to yours. You followed that little game.
“I love you.” You whispered seconds after you put your forehead against mine and I let out a sigh.
And even if you don’t believe it; I keep memories like that from this fifty years we’ve known each other. I remember the day you asked me to be your boyfriend and how romantic it was. I remember every single detail of our relationship; every fight, every make-up… everything.
I also remember the day you asked me to marry you; I still remember my parents reaction and how my mom held me with tears in her eyes while dad hugged you and how Mike couldn’t stop smiling.
I remember our wedding night, I remember the day we adopted Siren and the way you looked at her while holding her in your arms. I remember when she gave her first steps and her first words… and how proud you were.
I treasure every memory like my life depends of it, because my life has been joyful by your side. Because even after all the fights… I still love you like it was the first day I laid my eyes upon you.
You know I will love you for eternity. Never forget that.

Your husband, Vic.”


The elder man stop reading the letter his beloved husband had left him before passing away, leukemia had rip him from his side. And even though he had fought bravely with all his strength to kick its ass, the illness had been stronger than the little man.
He didn’t want to open the letter right away, only opening it after the funeral when he was by himself in the big house they had once shared. Their daughter was married and lived with her husband already.
Kellin left the letter on the night stand and sighed loudly while he took a few sleep pills, enough not to wake up anymore.
He couldn’t bear to be in this world without Vic, his reason to live. There wasn’t anything to lose, he had done everything he wanted in this life, with the love of his life.
He was slowly drifting away, with no pain and knowing that in a few moments… he would be reunited with him, living happily ever after in eternity, just like he had said.
♠ ♠ ♠
My heart broke when I wrote this so… I feel you guys.