‹ Prequel: High School Blows

High School Kinda Sucks

Fine

“I’m fine….Stop worrying” leena said. Sean kept freaking out as normal. “SEAN!” she exclaimed. He stopped what he was doing. He put her pillow down. “I’m fine” she chuckled. “Stop worrying”

“I can’t” he said. “It’s my job to worry”

“No, that’s my mom’s job” she said. “it’s your job to be cute” he smirked. “So do me a favor, go to school and make the other bitches jealous that they’re not me” he kissed her cheek.

“Get better soon” he said. “I can’t take another day in school without you” he left just as Bryan was walking in.

“hey trooper” he said. He left a vase of flowers on the dresser. “How are you” she sighed. “bad?”

“No, I’m fine, it’s you guys I’m worried about. Stop worrying about me!”

“stop worrying about me and I’ll stop worrying about you!” he said. He took a seat at the edge of her bed.

“Now give it to me straight, how bad are things at school?” she asked.

“Uh pretty bad” he said. “Ross is a bit awkward since then but it’s Sean I’m really concerned about” he said. “he’s not talking to Joe and we all know it”

“I could sense that”

“Joe is trying really hard, and he wants to apologize but I told him not to…I think he’s apologized enough”

“he was here all Friday and Saturday just apologizing to not only me but my parents. I don’t know why…I’m fine”

“Leena, I know you’re a go with the flow kind of person but your leg is broken, your beat up, you might need surgery—“

“Joe’s in worst shape” she said. “And now he’s dealing with the hate from Sean, so do me a big favor”

“What?”

“Fix this”

“Easier said then done”


“I feel like shit, send me home” Joe said to the nurse. The nurse sighed.

“You know I want to, but you’ve been out for a while and I’ve been told by your parents to encourage you to stay in school” Joe sighed. “What’s the matter?”

“Well, honestly I’m aching all over. It’s been the worst two weeks of my life” he said. “I haven’t been kicked off the baseball team but I can’t play anyways because of my injuries. Now my bestfriends feel awkward toward me because I almost killed our good friend and myself in a car accident” he said. “I’m 17, I should have to feel like this”

The nurse sighed once more.”Lie down, that much I can do for you” Joe nodded. He headed into a separate room and took a nap. But all he could dream about was the accident.

Over and over, it was like he was seeing the accident in slow motion. That’s all he thought about. The sounds of the car skidding off the road, the sounds of the metal being town up as it skid down a ditch into a pond. The sounds of the water splashing. Finally, the one sound he heard all the time even when he is conscious, is the creeking sound the car made as he finally stopped rolling over. It was a haunting sound.

Any screeching or squeaking or any sound in general made him shake, then the visions would start again. But no therapy could help him.



“I’m so ready to go back to school” Leena told her physical therapist.

“How many days is this...16?” he asked. Leena was able to walk with assistance of a railing down a hallway.

“I want to go back to school” she said again.

“I think you’re ankle is pretty good” he told her. “I think I can clear you…but I suggest a wheel chair for a week or two”

“Deal!” she said.



“Leena’s coming back tomorrow” Joe said. He took a seat at their usual lunch table. “She just texted me”

“Oh” Sean said.

“So I’m thinking bro’s night at my place tonight?” Bryan asked. “since the boys are back together!”

Sean avoided even looking at Joe. “I can’t, my mom’s keeping me on lockdown”

“Ok, well maybe some other time” Bryan said. “But I’m definitely going to see Leena”

“So honorary bro’s night at her place?” Ross asked. “I haven’t seen her since the hospital”

“Deal” Bryan said. “I’ll text her”

“How’s she doing?” Ross asked.

“Her ankle’s better, but not completely healed” Sean said. “But she can use crutches pretty well, she’ll be on a wheel chair for a week or two but she’s optimistic”

“That’s Leena” Joe said. “She cares so much about others and not enough for herself”

“That’s why we love her” Ross said. “How are you doing Joe?”

“I’m fine”

“Are you?” Bryan asked. “We’re a gang, a coven, a group…tell us what’s really up”

“I’m just” Joe said. “Tired” he said. “My mom is heavily enforcing that I stay in school all day since I missed so much time”

“I’ll get some pizza tonight on the way to Leena’s” Ross said. “We can have a vent sesh”

“How are you guys?” Joe asked. Bryan and Ross turned to each other, kind of confused. Why did he care? They weren’t in a life-threatening accident.

“I’m fine” Ross said.

“I mean how do you feel about me?” Joe asked. “Do you hate me?”

“Joe” Bryan started. “Don’t do this to yourself” Ross turned to Sean and he kept shaking his head at him. Sean knew exactly what he meant, but he can’t just hold it in. “I don’t even know why you apologized, it was an accident…because it was. Now if you told me it was intentional I would kill you” they both chuckled. “So stop stressing yourself out”

Sean opened his mouth to say something, but he felt kind of sympathetic considering what Bryan said. It didn’t make him feel better about him almost killing his girlfriend, but it helped him chose his words wisely.

“Did you know you couldn’t drive?” Sean asked. Ross took a breath of relief.

“I felt fine” Joe said.

“because you weren’t driving drunk” Bryan said.

“But they found a lot of alcohol in him” Sean said. “Like more then the legal limit for adults let alone teens” he said.

“You looked fine” Bryan said. “trust me I wouldn’t let you drive home unless I felt like you could” he said. “You know I was a nazi about that with Lauren that night”

“Yeah I know” Joe said. “That’s what I keep telling myself”

“Leena had less alcohol in her, why didn’t you let her drive”

“Ok that’s enough” Ross said. “Joe, can you come with me to the bathroom”

“why”

“I always take a buddy when I need to pee, ask Bryan”

“That is very true” Bryan said. Ross gave Bryan a look, he widened his eyes a little. Bryan nodded. The two walked off.

“I just want answers” Sean said. “So stop making me feel bad for asking”

“I know you want answers, we all do, but he’s still hurting and as long as he’s beating himself up i want you to shut the fuck up" he said.

"FIne" Sean left the lunch table, leaving Bryan alone.

"I need you here, Leena" he muttered.