‹ Prequel: High School Blows

High School Kinda Sucks

Promise

"I'm going to say something at dinner" Charlotte started. She was setting the table with her husband.

"Why?" her husband asked "What are you going to ask? Do you like Mike? Are you having sex? Charlotte, she's almost 18 years old. Now if she was 15 i would be all on this but i think she's more than old enough to make her own relationship advice and that includes sex" Charlotte rolled her eyes. Where did he get off being a psychiatrist?

"Mike is bad news, he threw a party with alcohol for minors, he was charged with providing alcohol to minors and is still doing community service, he was almost charge with poisoning a minor at that party" she said. "Kick off sport team, almost had his acceptance to WSU revoked" she continued. "Emma could do so much better"

"That's what my mom told me when we started dating...now we're here 20 years later" her husband left the rooom.

...

Leena went over to Sean's house after school. She was doing it, she was going to break up with him. Or at least seperate. She always wondered what the differenc was but most adults do it before divorce and it works for them so why not try it?

She went up to his room and he was already waiting with a bouquet of flowers. "Who told?" she asked. She took a seat on his bed.

"Bryan" he said. he chuckled.

"I didn't even tell him" she smiled

"Really?"

"I told Joe. Well Bryan's smart like that maybe his mom told him" they chuckled. "BEcause his mom knows all. She's like fucking wonder woman or something" she said.

"So..." Sean started. "I don't want to hear a speech or anything i just want to know we'll still be friends"

"It's just a break" Leena said. "These last few weeks have been really rough on all of us. Just a few weeks to think about ourselves..." Sean smiled.

"I understand, ad you're right"

"Of course we'll be friends, we've been friends too long to quit now" she smiled back.

"So there's a hope of getting back together"

"Of course" she said.

...

"I might ask Karolina to semi" Matt said during study hall. Randy shot up when he heard her name

"Karolina? Sohee told me to ask her" Randy said. Matt and Randy stared at each other. So Sohee reccomnded the to the same girl? THat's low. "Why would she recomend me to her if she told you to ask her?"

"I don't know" Bryan could sense a fight, he wanted to see it. Sohee took her seat.

"Ash, you have some explanin to do" Randy said.

"What?" she asked.

"You told me i should ask Karolina to semi" Matt said. "You also told Randy the same thing"

"ooooh" Sohee started. "Wow this is awkward" she said. "In my defense, Randy, Matt hinted that he was going to ask Shay"

"I don't want to ask a freshman" Matt said. "And Karo is really nice"

"Oh well--" Randy interupted her.

"So who gets to ask her?" Randy asked.

"Well" Sohee started. "IN all fairness i told Matt he should ask her first" she started. Matt smiled. "But at the same time i already kinda told Karo Randy might ask her...so..."

"Great" Matt said. He gave Randy a death stare. What made these two friends hate each other so much? Was it because Randy took the one girl Matt really liked away from him? "Well i guess it's war" Matt stood up from the table but immediately sat back down. "BUt we'll start tomorrow since i have no idea if she's in school today"

...

“Are you sleeping, bro?” Bryan asked Joe as he got into the car. Joe sighed, answering all.

“Sleeping is not really an option right now”

“Bro” Bryan said. “What’s up…”

“I’ve been having a hard time sleeping, I maybe get two to three hours but that ranges day to day” he admitted. “I’ve been having a lot of nightmares” Bryan nodded.

“Are you eating?”

“Eating is the only thing I do”

“Ross and I will come over and we’ll play some video games. Halo always makes me feel better” Joe smiled. The squeak of Bryan’s car pulling away from the curb startled Joe. “It’s ok man” he said.

Things were worse than he thought.



Leena and Karolina walked into the lunch line, picking up the food they wanted and putting it on their trays. “I have the serious munchies today” Leena said. “I got blazed with Joe last night”

“Should he be smoking with his TBI?”

“Uh no” Leena said. “I figured that out when he like freaked out. I think he has PTSD”

“Whoa that’s a big step from depression” Karolina said. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah, Ross told me his dad had it when he came back from his first tour when Ross was little” she said. “And we both agree Joe has the symptoms. Flashbacks, nightmares, anxiety, he can’t sleep, he’s easily startled. I don’t have any of those symptoms and it has been about a month since the accident.” She said.

“what are you going to do?”

“Not sure”



“I have found the perfect earrings to wear with my dress” Deanna said. She took a seat with the earrings still in its original Forever 21 packaging. “The pink and the silver will look so nice!”

“Wow” Mackenzie said, totally not interested. “My earrings are so much nicer and match my dress better. Why don’t you try something else?” Deanna’s smile turned to a frown. “Besides, your head is too small to wear big earrings, no offense” Deanna put the earrings away.

“Hey Dee” Ross kissed her cheek. “I got your corsage” Ross pulled out a picture on his phone. “Isn’t it great?”

“It’s beautiful, Ross” she said. “Thanks so much”

“Zack’s getting me fresh flowers” Mackenzie said. “None of that fake shit for me, I’m too good for it”

Deanna pulled out her phone and sent Ross a text.

Deanna: do ppl act lik this when they get their 1st boyfriend?

Ross quickly responded.

Ross: nope.

Deanna sighed. Ross kissed her cheek again. “You’re better than that” he whispered in her ear. “So much better than this”



“Red alert” Bryan passed by Leena’s lunch table. “Matt and Randy are on hot pursuit to get Karolina as their date” Karo rolled her eyes.

“Why do people take a sudden interest in me when they are desperate?” she asked. Bryan shrugged. “I’m so sick of it”

“Let’s get stoned after school and pig out on Mcdanks” Leena told her.

“That sounds so good right now” Bryan chuckled. He headed over to his table.

“What are my best features to impress Karolina?” Matt asked Sohee.

“You have a nice butt” she said.

“Once again, are you hitting on him?” Bryan asked. They weren’t official but he still wanted to know.

“You have a good sense of humor, too” Sohee said.

“That’s right, Randy has nothing on me with my…butt and humor” he said sarcastically. Sohee giggled. “Randy is everything I’m not. He’s athletic, he’s super funny, he has muscle, he’s kind, he’s gorgeous, he’s compassionate about what he does, he’s gorgeous!” Matt exclaimed.

“Matt, you are so insecure” Sohee said. “For all you know Karolina might not like any of that” The whole table gave Sohee the ‘are you kidding me look’. How can you not be interested in those things?

“Plus Randy’s a party kid” Bryan said. “And so is Karo” he said. “So…”

“I lost”

“I will help you” Sohee said. "I promise"

"Why would you help me?" Matt asked.

"Because i realize Randy has a better shot with her" Matt sighed.

...