Any Man of Mine

ONE

Avery

“Oh my God, what smells so good?” Dougie asked, walking into the kitchen, where I was cooking, with his nose up in the air. He still had his suit on from work.

“Hello to you too, babe.” I laughed and he smiled at me.

“Hi gorgeous.” He wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me in for a sweet kiss.

“Mmm, as much as I’d love to just do that all night, I need to get dressed.” I pulled away.

“But you are dressed,” he said, confused, “Much to my dismay.” He added quietly, hoping I wouldn't hear.

“Cheeky bastard,” I laughed and he only shrugged, “I’m not having our anniversary dinner in jeans and a t-shirt.”

“I quite like it.”

“Can you watch that for me? I won’t be too long.” I asked, talking about the pasta and sauce that was cooking on the stove.

“You trust me way too much, but sure, I can try.” He nodded and I quickly made my way to our bedroom.

My dress was already hanging on the wardrobe door. I changed out of my clothes and into the dress. I noticed it was a bit tight, because it was bought last year, but there was nothing I could do now. I applied little makeup, and fluffed up my already curled hair, twirling a few pieces before clipping them in the back. I then slipped my heels on and walked back into the kitchen where Dougie was just about to dip his finger into the sauce for a taste.

“Hey!” I yelled and he jumped before turning around to face me. His mouth dropped and his eyes went wide.

“Wow-wow! You look amazing, babe. And that dress!” he groaned and then nodded in approval.

“You don’t think it’s a little too tight?” I asked, pulling it up.

“I think it fits just right.” He winked and then kissed me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and his snaked around my waist again. We stayed like this for a while until the fire alarm started going off, startling us and we broke apart.

“Oh-no!” I cried as I ran over to the rigatoni pasta that was now sporting some blackened edges. Dougie went to turn off the alarm and I lifted a few pieces out of the pot and frowned. I turned the stove off as Dougie came over to look at my failure, “I’m the worst Italian ever. I can’t even cook pasta!”

“Hey, it’s alright. I like my pasta like that!” he smiled, trying to make me feel better. I laughed and dropped the pasta back into the pot, “Why don’t we go out to dinner?” he offered and helped me carry the ruined food to the sink.

“Why didn't we do that in the first place?”

“You insisted on making me a ‘real Italian dinner’ tonight.” He used his fingers to air quote what I had told him.

“Let’s just go.” I sighed, turning to the walk out of the kitchen, “I'm sorry for ruining our anniversary.”

“Hey” he caught my wrist, turning me back around. I kept my head down, but he lifted my chin, “You didn't ruin anything.”

“I ruined th-“ I started, but he stopped me.

“No you didn’t. You could never. Just the fact that I get to celebrate with you makes me the happiest guy in the world. I am so proud of everything you've done. This is just a small thing that we'll laugh about on our fiftieth anniversary,” he laughed and I cracked a smile. “You're the best thing that’s ever happened to me. I can't believe we've been together for a year now. I love you so much, Avery.” He kissed the back of my hand.

“I love you, too.” I leaned up to kiss him properly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo! My first contest entry ever
I hope you love it, Megs! :D <3

xxNicole