Status: For a contest

November Rain

3/3

And when your fear subsides and shadows still remain,
I know that you can love and when there’s no one left to blame,
So never mind the darkness we still can find a way,
Cause nothing lasts forever even cold November rain.


Lleighton’s old friends are visiting her today, she stands in front of the door of a house she calls her own but it seems wrong, dread weighs heavy on her shoulders. Lleighton’s oldest friend insecurity wraps itself tightly around her barely beating heart, suddenly she doesn’t want to be here.

Lleighton must be standing there for an eternity before she finally has the guts to open the familiar door, she is assaulted with a house and memories and one smell, the smell of her house, it is old and musky mixed with sweetness and emotions. Lleighton hasn’t realized just how much she had missed this place.

Lleighton drops her bags at the door, she is not sure if he is home, and she is too frightened to shout out so she stands there rooted to the spot until she hears a small noise, if the house weren’t so silent she might have missed it. But it was a slight noise, a rustling maybe but it was there and she heard it, Lleighton did not imagine this, so she struts off in the direction of the stair case, she climbs the stairs she has climbed so many times before but something is different, the air is too thick and Lleighton feels dread seeping into her pores.

She reaches the floor where her bedroom is located and she hears a small noise, a voice quiet and melodic a voice she has missed with all her heart and every fiber within her, Lleighton sees how stupid she has been, she realizes she is still madly in love with the man behind this door. So in bout of strange happiness she pulls open the door, her eyes adjust the sight of a blonde woman straddling a tattooed red haired man.

They both turn and stare at her, the man utters the name that has never left his mind for the past two months “Lleigh” But Lleighton is turning around, and she is running away, running away from this scene and this confrontation. Lleighton’s mind spins and nothing feels real, the stairs she climbs feel wobbly and the room spins, everything is wrong and for a second Lleighton is certain this is not her house and that man in there is not Axl, but a hand grabs her arm and she is spun around, she realizes this is her house and the man from before is the same man who vowed to wait for her, to love her forever.

“What are you doing?” Leighton stares at Axl the questions makes a laugh bubble up and come from her mouth, it is such a silly question this is her house after all. Axl's hand is on her arm and it is tight but Lleighton strangely enough enjoys it, if this is the last time he touches her she will be okay with it. She does not know why she is thinking such final thoughts but they are seeping into her mind again and Lleighton is slipping, she needs to get away.

“What are you doing?” Lleighton replies with pure disgust in her voice, that is Lleighton whenever she is hurt she goes on the defensive she gets angry and she attacks because if she is going to hurt then they will hurt just as much as her. “Who is she, didn’t take you long to fuck someone else now did it?” She spits her words mumbling together, they sound disjointed and nothing feels real.

“You left” The man that resembles Axl says, but it can’t be him he would never do this he knows Lleighton so well why would he hurt her like this?

“Don’t touch me” She spits, Axl flinches but doesn’t let go, “Let go” Lleighton says, Lleighton who weighs an almost unhealthy weight pushes with all her strength the man in front of her, he stumbles on the stairs and lets go of her arm.

“Lleighton” Axl whispers, he has missed her so much and to have her here standing here staring at him with that look is almost too much, he doesn’t know what to say, he doesn’t know what to do all her knows is he can’t let her leave, he can’t let them end like this.

“Fuck you” Lleighton says, Rusalka is hurting, she is hurting so bad and now Lleighton is starting to hurt and that can’t happen, she can’t let herself be weak, especially not now. Lleighton walks to the front door, she leaves her things because they are in the travel bags they bought together, she doesn’t want anything but to get away.

Axl knows he is losing her so he does something drastic “Rusalka” Lleighton stops and turns to face him

“Do not call me that”

“Do not do this; do not shut me out like I’m someone else, you left me Lleighton I didn’t know when you would come back”

Lleighton looks so different to Axl right now, her eyes seem dead, she stands there with a blank stare on her pretty face, it is like she is gone the girl he married is gone and his hurting heart breaks a little more for the girl he loves but can never really have. Lleighton turns and Axl lets her go this time because something is wrong and he knows he cannot fix it when he is the one who caused it.

Lleighton goes to a hotel and writes a letter, she does not address it to anyone but in her heart she knows who it belongs to,

I am sorry.
Please forgive me, I never meant for this to happen, I never meant to become so weak, but I am. I am scared, I am scared to find out what happens from here because my heart has been broken before and I’ve never recovered so how do I recover from this?
How does a broken heart heal? Honestly I don’t think it does or mine at least, I hope yours does, I hope you are stronger and better than I am, I hope you are bigger and able to heal.
I love you, I’m just sorry I was never able to let myself fully be yours it is a regret I will take to death.
Love Rusalka,


Lleighton signs the note and leaves it on the bed, in an almost catatonic state she takes a bottle of pills, this time Lleighton succeeds, this time Lleighton doesn’t fail like usual.

Good girl Lleighton,

Lleighton kills herself that night and Axl’s heart never fully heals.

Good girl Lleighton, good girl.

Cause nothing lasts forever,
and we both know hearts can change.