‹ Prequel: Pieces
Status: Active.

Glass

One

He kept his green eyes focused at his computer screen, his hand rested on the mouse while his other hand rested underneath his chin. He wasn't doing much other than checking the latest news on Google. It was something he did whenever he was bored.

"Ahem," A soft sweet voice pulled him out of his thoughts, "You wanted to see me, Z?"

Zack's eyes narrowed on her suddenly, "How many times do I have to tell you? Don't call me that," He stated and she nodded sheepishly.

"Sorry, Zack," She adverted his eyes to the ground and took a step into the office, waiting for more instructions from her boss. Despite having worked with Zack for just over a month, she was still awkward as ever around him.

"You know you can sit down now, Jen," He noted with an eye roll, a horrible habit he had picked up over the year. She nodded quickly and pulled the chair out and sat down, crossing one leg over the other as she watched Zack placed his eyes back on his computer screen without another word.

"Was there something you needed me to do?" Jen asked. She hated asking Zack questions. He always made her feel like an idiot, and she hated it. She loathed the way her boss would look at her like she was always doing something wrong. It made her cringe whenever he walked into the room, because she knew he always had something to say to her.

"No. I actually don't need you to do anything," He reached down and pulled an envelope from his desk drawer and slid it over across the oak wood until it was under Jen's fingertips.

"What is this? A bonus?" She asked, smiling, seeing a check hidden underneath the pure white envelope with her name on it. Her heart leapt with joy as she finally saw that she was moving up in Zack's ranks. She would finally have some respect around him.

"No," He scoffed and she frowned, "It's your last check."

Her eyes widened as she looked down at the check on her hands, her mouth falling open, "No... No, wait, Zack. I swear I can do better. I don't understand what I've been doing wrong!" She protested and he once again rolled his eyes and turned back to face her.

"Do you really want me to give you reasons? I'm trying to make this as painless as possible for you," He replied and she glared.

"I've done everything you ask me to, Zack, so sorry for being a little upset when you suddenly want to fire me!" She exclaimed.

Zack huffed, frustrated, "You're annoying and clingy," He stated, "You watch my every move and you cling way too close to me. You ask questions about my personal life constantly and you're always asking to come to the studio. I'm trying to run a business, not a fucking fan club."

Her eyes widened in shock and her hands shook at how upset Zack was. "Zack... I'm-"

"So sorry for making you upset when I suddenly want to fire you," He mocked.

She glared, standing up furiously, kicking her chair back in the process. She huffed and turned on her heels to leave the room, grabbing her purse along the way.

"The others were right," She muttered under her breath, "You are an asshole," She spat, thinking he wouldn't hear before slamming the front door behind her.

Zack groaned, running his hand through his hair as he looked around his office. Once again the boxes were piled up high, shirts and jackets were strewn across the floor, and he was two months behind on orders. He's never been this bad before, and none of the assistants he hired seemed to help at all.

"There goes assistant number seven," He groaned and turned back to his computer, pulling up the various resumes he constantly received. For a year he had commissioned several assistants, none of them living up to his expectations.

He had heard what the various previous assistants had said about him. Zack Vengeance was a jerk when it came to running his clothing line. He had made four girls cry in the application process, and two of them walked out in the middle of the interview. He had grown to not care what they thought about him.

He grew angry, suddenly sliding his hand across the desk furiously until every scrap of paper on his desk fell to the floor. He let out a frustrated cry before calling into the desk, letting anxiety take over his body. He had no idea how he was going to keep Vengeance University up and running by himself. He could barely play his live shows without thinking about all of the stress that waited for him at home.

It wasn't like he could suddenly shut it down. He refused to do that. Despite Vengeance University being his own creation, it was a representation of the girl who had given up everything for him. He wasn't going to shut it down just because he couldn't handle it. She wouldn't

Zack did the only thing left he could do. The only thing he really had a grip on. So he stood up, walking away from his desk and priorities. He walked down the hall to the kitchen, ignoring the empty refrigerator, and opened up the cabinet. He didn't have much food, but he had a healthy stash of Jack Daniels.

He grabbed an unfinished bottle and a brand new one before shutting the cabinet. He skipped grabbing a glass and just made his way back to his living room. He stopped bothering with pouring his drinks after two weeks of realizing he ditched the glass after a few sips anyways.

He fell into the couch and kicked his feet up on the table, taking in a large swig of the amber liquid. He didn't care if the alcohol burned his throat. He was practically numb to it. He took drink after drink, not moving at all other than to bring the bottle back to his lips.

He let his mind wander off, as it often did when he drank. He thought about the beautiful blonde that would be curled into his side. He remembered the way her body fit to him perfectly, like a puzzle piece. His missing piece. He remembered the way her fingers would intertwine with his. They were always so cold, and under his touch they would suddenly warm up. Like she depended on him for heat and warmth. Then in the mornings, when her body was finally warm from being curled up next to him for the entire night, she would look up at him with big glossy eyes like he was the greatest thing on Earth.

The worst part for Zack was not knowing. Not knowing who she was or where she was. He knew she was staying in Caesar's Palace, but that's as far as he got before her trail disappeared. She was completely invisible to the outside world, and that hurt Zack the most. He wondered what a year trapped in a city that never sleeps felt like.

He brought the bottle to his lips again, feeling his thoughts start to blur. The warmth from the liquid radiating down his throat. He winced as he could feel himself getting sick, but that didn't make him stop. He just continued to drink, hoping to wash his thoughts and memories away. He didn't want to think about her anymore. It only made it worse. So he would drink until he forgot. He would never forget, though. The same thought was always running through his head. Every single day, every waking minute, and even in his sleep it would haunt him.

What ever happened to Violet Kennedy?