‹ Prequel: Pieces
Status: Active.

Glass

Thirteen

"What the fucking hell, Man? I turn around for one second and that whore slipped out the backdoor! Worst five hundred dollars I ever spent!" Jimmy slurred as he rounded the corner, a bottle of beer in his hand.

"Hey! This is a private floor!" A man in a black suit started to walk towards him.

"Exactly how private?" Jimmy raised a finger for emphasis, only to earn a glare from the guard.

"Time to go, Buddy," Someone grabbed him from behind, roughly pushing his wrists together as they began to walk towards the stairs.

"Oh no! I am not going back to jail. I just got out, Man!" Jimmy roughly pushed the man down, kicking his leg up as if he were in some sort of Japanese action movie, causing all of the guards to advance towards him.

"Just cooperate with us, Sir. It'll be in your best interest," The guard warned.

"It'll be in your best interest to catch me if you can!" Jimmy laughed maniacally before taking off down the hall.

"I need all security to the West hall," The guard called behind him into his walkie-talkie before all of them took off down the hall, chasing after the tall man.

-

Zack sighed deeply, taking out the card from his pocket. He entered the elevator, swiping the card before punching in the top floor. He waited impatiently, his hands sweating as his left foot tapped endlessly against the marble flooring. He breathed heavily as the elevator continued to travel up the multiple flights of stairs.

He wasn't sure what was going to happen. With the way Violet was acting, he wasn't sure if she was even willing to go with him. That being said, once Jimmy hit the lobby floor, he only had five minutes to get Violet out of there. That was hardly enough time to convince her to run back to California with him.

Suddenly, the sound of the elevator dinged, informing him that he was on the top floor. He stepped out quickly, rushing to the door and swiping the card before stepping inside, shutting it behind him, "Violet!" He called out.

"In here!" Jane's soft voice shouted.

Zack rushed into the bedroom, forgetting about the expensive carpet and his dirty shoes. Instead, he stopped in the doorway as he saw Violet on the floor, her head in Jane's lap as she slept soundly, "What the hell!?" Zack exclaimed, "What did you do!?"

"She wasn't going to come with you so I had to improvise," Jane stated sheepishly.

"So you knocked her out!? Are you insane!?" Zack bent down to place a hand on her forehead, his other hand checking her wrist for a pulse.

"Well, I just gave her something to make her sleepy. I didn't know it would knock her out like this!" Jane exclaimed, worry etched in her voice.

"Well, what did you give her?" Zack asked and Jane adverted her eyes to the ground, "Jane, what did you give Violet?" He asked again. She sighed and pulled a pill bottle out of her pocket, handing it over to the glaring guitarist. He snatched it from her palm, turning it over in his hands to look at it, "Are you kidding me!? Jane, this is what you give to people in the hospital! You don't just give morphine to someone!" He exclaimed.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"

"Why do you have morphine anyways?" He demanded.

"I'll explain later. But we have to go. Look, I have her bags ready," She pointed proudly to the bags on the bed behind her. He sighed and nodded.

"Alright, give me two and you take the other one. Do you have everything you need?" He asked and she nodded.

"Okay," He sighed and picked up Violet's small frame. As he did so, his phone rang in his pocket. He reached in and picked it up, holding it to his ear, "Hello?"

Jimmy breathed heavily on the other line "I'm outside. I lost them on the casino floor. Are you out yet?" He asked, trying to catch his breath.

"No. I just got her. How long ago did you lose them?" Zack asked.

"Just now. You have time," Jimmy assured, "Where should I meet you?

Zack sighed as he made his way to the door, Jane close behind him, "Change of plans. Head to the airport."

"What's going on?" He questioned, his voice filled with concern.

"I'll explain later, but we're not going on the plane. I got to go. I'll let you know when we get home," Zack said before hanging up just as the elevator doors were closing.

"What are we going to do?" Jane asked.

Zack watched as the elevator descended down the floors of Caesar's Palace. His mind thought as he grew anxious, "We're going to have to drive. We can't bring her on a plane like this," He stated.

"We can use my car?" Jane suggested.

"Where's your car?" He asked.

"The back parking lot where all the employees work," She informed him.

"Can you get us there without security seeing us?"

She bit her lip, "Keep her covered and we can," She said and reached into one of Violet's bags, grabbing a jacket and slipping it on her friend, pulling the hood up over her, "We're just going to have to act like she's drunk. Most people won't even look twice."

"Alright, take one side," Zack said, standing Violet up. He put her left arm around him and her right arm went around Jane.

"We'll have to move fast. Once we're past the casino we'll be clear," She assured.

"Let's just do this quick," Zack sighed and the elevator doors opened.

The moved quickly. As Jane said, the casino floor was crowded. People hardly looked twice at the two carrying a near-lifeless body around. Her hood was up, hiding her recognizable face. Zack focused on keeping Violet up right, making she could be as comfortable as she could be while passed out. Jane, on the other hand, had her eyes peeled for her coworkers.

Jane was used to ridicule around the hotel. It was no secret that Jane was the personal assistant to the ruthless and cold Violet Kennedy. She was used to other workers constantly nagging at her, calling her everything from slave to bitch. Jane always took the heat without anything more than a shrug. She was used to it, and she knew the real Violet that no one else took the time to get to know.

"This way," She said and pulled them to the right, leading them out past the bathroom towards the back doors.

Jane's eyes caught sight of security scanning the casino, she quickly grabbed both of them and pulled them to the side, hiding behind one of the larger slot machines. As the guards passed by, Jane could clearly hear their walkie-talkies.

"He's left the premises. Send security up to check on Miss Kennedy," A voice called and Jane cringed.

"C'mon, we have to hurry," She whispered. Zack followed Jane's movements out the back door. She quickly pulled out her keys and handed them to Zack. She nodded towards a clean black Honda Civic and he quickly unlocked it.

They placed Violet in the backseat first, placing her upright and buckling her up before leaning her against the door comfortably. Zack wasted no time in tossing the bags in the trunk, motioning for Jane to take the passenger side. She obliged, getting in the front seat as Zack started the car.

"What's the best way out of here?" He asked.

"Take the back roads away from the strip. I don't know what they'll do when they realize Violet's gone. We should play it safe," She said and he nodded, "Make a left," She ordered.

Zack turned, heading further away from the strip. It had taken them a good twenty minutes to fight through street traffic before finally finding the highway back towards California. It wasn't until they were on an open stretch of barren road did he finally take a deep breath. He felt his body relax, his shoulders slump, and his grip weakened around the steering wheel. He brought his eyes up to the rearview mirror, looking in the reflection to see Violet behind him, sleeping soundly.

"She's not gonna wake up for a long time," Jane stated.

Zack fought himself from glaring at her as he sighed deeply, "Yeah, now we just have to figure out how she'll react when she does wake up."

She shook her head, "It's not gonna be pretty."

Zack could only hope she was wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
Part Two! The moment you all have been waiting for.

On a side note, the first chapter of Temper will be up soon. I'm looking within the next week. I'm so absolutely excited to share this story with you. I've never written anything like it and I've been working really hard on it. I will post a link when the first chapter is up :)

Thank you for all your lovely comments!