‹ Prequel: Pieces
Status: Active.

Glass

Fourteen

"So, how is this going to work?" Jane asked from the passenger side of the car. The road was stretched out as far as the eye could see. Vast desert existed for miles on both sides, and neither had said a word until they neared the California border.

"I can't stay at my house. Craig knows where I live," Zack stated.

Jane bit her lip, "Do you have anywhere to stay?" She asked.

"Of course. I have a beach house I bought a while ago. It was sort of my escape after Violet left. In case I didn't want the guys finding me," He explained.

"Oh," She nodded.

"I have to go home first and get some stuff. Violet has things there too that I want to grab, in case Craig does something drastic. Once we have everything and she wakes up, we'll take her to the beach house."

"And... what about me?" Jane asked sheepishly and Zack laughed.

"You can stay with us, of course. We'll worry about a job and stuff later. For now you can just get used to California."

Jane smiled over at him, "Violet wasn't lying."

"About what?" He questioned, still not taking his eyes off the road.

"That you're way too nice for your own good," She laughed and he smiled. For the first time in a long time, he actually smiled as he found out that Violet still said good things about him. Jane smiled, leaning back in her seat as she watched the sun disappear over the horizon, "You know, she told me once that your kindness would get you in trouble some day."

Zack managed to let out a soft chuckle, "I was always getting in trouble with her," He confessed.

"I know I told you she talked about you all the time but... She kind of didn't," Jane revealed and Zack's smile fell, "I could tell it hurt her to talk about you. But apart of her wanted to tell me everything about you. She talked about the guys, and it would eventually lead to you. It always led to you."

"I'm sure she didn't have very nice things to say about me," Zack sighed.

Jane turned to him, confusion on her face, "No," She shook her head, "She never said a bad thing about you at all. She said you were the greatest thing to ever happen to her. She said you were wonderful and caring and more of a person than she could ever be."

Zack didn't exactly like the sound of that, as much as he wanted to be happy. Violet should be mad at him. He abandoned her. He watched her leave and didn't do anything about it. For a year he mourned the loss of the only woman he ever truly loved and never forgave himself for it. And she was off telling this girl only good things about him.

"We're not far now," He told her.

"Good. She's going to be sore when she wakes up. We carried her around like a rag doll," Jane said and he nodded, "So, what happened to your friends? Do they know you're bringing her back?"

"Uh... One of them does," He confessed.

"Oh, the tall crazy one, right?" She asked and he laughed, "Vi talked about him all the time. She talked about all you guys. But she had some pretty interesting stories about the one called Jimmy."

Zack laughed, "He was my distraction. He went on the plane with the others."

"And they don't know what's going on?"

"Not exactly."

"Well, why not? Do they not like Violet?" She asked.

Zack shook his head furiously, "No! It's not that at all. We all had a falling out when Vi left... It's been a long year. They just don't want to see me hurt."

"That's smart of them," Jane sighed, "I don't know how she's going to react to this when she wakes up."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Zack asked.

"She's been acting a little weird lately. I think it's all the wedding talk. Either way, she's unpredictable. Don't be offended if she pushes you away, though. She loves you," She assured and he smiled sadly.

"I love her too."

-

Jane's eyes widened at the sight of Zack's house. She knew of the famous rockstars, but didn't know them well enough to think they could live this lavishly. Truth be told, she liked Zack's house much better than the large penthouse Violet always stayed in.

She followed Zack inside, her eyes wandering around as she took in her surroundings. She saw an office with plenty of guitars lined against the wall, a few papers scattered around, and a whole lot of boxes. She debated asking if he were planning on moving, but continued to follow him through the hallway.

She found herself stopping at the sight of a wall. Her eyes looked up at the pictures hanging neatly. Tons of pictures of what she assumed were his friends and family scattered the wall, but even more pictures of him and Violet hung towards the center. She looked at her friend, and almost didn't recognize her, "I couldn't bring myself to take them down," Zack spoke suddenly and she jumped. He smiled sadly at her and looked back to the pictures, "It gave me hope that she would come back... and everything would be normal again."

"She looks so happy," Jane smiled, "I've never seen her look that way."

Zack said nothing as he turned back around, looking Violet who now slept soundly on the couch. Despite Violet being small, he couldn't bring himself to carry her upstairs. He was exhausted from driving, and knew he would only have to carry her back down in the morning.

"The guest room is upstairs. You can take that for the night," Zack said and grabbed one of her bags.

"And her?" Jane nodded towards Violet, sleeping soundly under a warm blanket.

"I'll be down here with her," He assured and she nodded. Zack led her up his winding staircase before he came to a door, he pushed it open and Jane smiled, stepping inside, "Help yourself to anything," He smiled before saying a goodnight, shutting the door behind him as he left.

Zack sighed, exhausted,. He made his way down the stairs slowly, his eyelids drooping as he neared the last step. He made it to the bottom of the stairs, looking out into the living room where Violet slept soundly. His heart beat quickly at the sight of the girl. It was the first time he actually got to look at her. She was beautiful. Despite holding a grudge against Craig, he was glad he couldn't see any marks on her body.

He sighed heavily, kicking off his shoes as he made his way closer to the couch. He maneuvered himself, wedging into the cushions with her so she was beside him. He wrapped an arm around her, slowly, taking in the moment. It was like his body had never forgotten Violet. He molded to her perfectly. His arm fitting like a puzzle piece against her waist. He leaned in and buried his face in the crook of her neck. He felt tears prick his eyes as her hair tickled his cheeks. He smiled through the tears, holding her close like he would never see her again.

"Welcome home, Baby."