‹ Prequel: Pieces
Status: Active.

Glass

Fifteen

Zack stretched, careful not to move Violet too much. He knew she would be waking up within the next two hours, and he had things to do before she did so. He slithered out from the couch, being sure to tuck the blankets back around her snugly. He remembered how cold she always was.

He yawned, ready to head to the kitchen to make some coffee when loud knocking interrupted him.

"Zack!" A deep voice yelled and he cursed. Zack was sure the guys would come for him, but he didn't think Matt would have come so early, "I know you're in there! Open the fucking door, Zack!"

Zack jumped into action, moving around to hide Violet's bags wherever he could. He rounded the corner, looking up the stairs to see if Jane was still asleep. With no sign of movement coming from upstairs, he quickly found Jane's jacket and tossed it somewhere in his office before heading back towards Violet.

"If you don't open this door in three seconds I'm coming in!" Matt warned and Zack groaned. He went to pick her up when he already heard Matt's key in the door.

It was obvious Matt was pissed. He missed his flight and almost caused Jimmy to miss his too. Zack wasn't sure what excuse Jimmy told Matt, but there was no doubt in his mind that Matt wasn't happy about it.

"Fuck!" He cursed, moving the blanket quickly over Violet before rushing to the door, just as Matt opened it, Val at his side. Zack breathed heavily, out of breath as Matt glared at him, "It's like eight in the morning, what the hell, Matt?" Zack questioned.

"Why are you out of breath?" Matt questioned, "More importantly, where were you yesterday?" Matt demanded.

"Go easy on him," Val whispered beside him, her grip tightening on her husband's arm. Zack smiled lightly at her, silently thanking her for getting a grip on her husband.

"I was at a bar. Lost track of time," Zack shrugged.

"How'd you get back? Who's car is that in the driveway?" Matt questioned and Zack rolled his eyes.

"What's with all the questions? Are you my dad?" Zack scoffed and Matt glared before moving to step around him, "Hey! Where are you going?"

"To the kitchen," Matt shrugged, "I figured you'd have coffee."

"I don't actually," Zack pointed out, "And the house is a mess. You don't want to go back there," Zack blocked his way, earning a skeptical look from his friend.

"Your house is always a fucking mess, Zack. What else is new?" Matt asked, "Anyways," He shook his head, "Do you have those new lyrics we were talking about?"

"Yeah, they're in my office," Zack said and lead him into the office. Val followed close behind, watching Zack carefully. It was no secret that their friend was acting odd this morning, and they weren't sure what to make of it.

Zack rustled around his office, moving things around as he searched quickly for the lyrics he had written our for Matt to look at. As he moved, Matt looked around the office, taking in the mess before his eyes landed on something.

"Who's is this?" Matt asked, holding up the jacket Zack had thrown over the chair next to him. Zack froze, eyes landing on the ragged but clean sweater Jane had worn the night before.

"Uh... It's Violet's. I never moved it," Zack quickly stated.

Val scoffed and grabbed the jacket, "Yeah, like Vi would ever wear this," She said before narrowing her eyes. What other girl would be at Zack's? , "Who's is this, Zack?" She demanded

"I told you!" Zack exclaimed, "It's Vi's."

Matt said nothing as anger rose in him. His friend was lying. He had known him long enough to know that Zack adverted his eyes to the right when he lied, and his left hand twitched. Everyone in the band knew that Zack was a horrible liar. What made him more upset, was the fact that he lied about Violet. He used her as an excuse to cover up another woman. How could he claim to still love Violet when he had another woman?

"Zack?" A soft womanly voice called and Zack's face paled, "Zack, you still here?"

"You're a fucking asshole, you know that!" Val screamed.

"No! It's not what it looks like!" Zack yelled as Val took off out of the office. Matt and Zack followed her into the kitchen where Jane was looking around for Zack, still dressed in her pajamas.

"Who the hell are you?" Val demanded and Jane's eyes went wide. She immediately recognized the woman from the way Violet had described her. A small and petite bombshell blonde that packed a punch. There was also no denying the wrath in her eyes. If there was anything Jane had learned from Violet, it was that there was no wrath on earth that compared to Val's.

"J-Jane," She stuttered.

"Well, Jane, I'm sorry that Zack mistakingly slept with you, but it would be in your best interest to get the hell out," Val glared and Jane's eyes went even wider.

"Wh-What? No!" Jane protested, "It's not like that at all!"

Matt took his sunglasses off, getting a better look at the girl. He recognized her from somewhere, but he couldn't put his finger on it. He looked to the right, seeing Zack fidget as he tried to find his words. There was no way his friend had a one night stand with this girl. Zack would have been beating himself up about it. He still loved Violet. No way would he have been acting this way.

"Wait!" Matt looked at the girl again, "I know you!" He pointed a finger at her, "You're Violet's assistant."

"Yes," She breathed out, "Thank you," She sighed and looked to Val sheepishly. Zack groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose as he realized the mistake Jane had said.

"Violet?" Val questioned, "Then what are you doing here in California?" She asked the younger girl.

"Uh..." Jane helplessly looked to Zack, not sure what to tell her or Matt.

With that Matt turned on his heels, looking around for any sign that Violet could be in the room. Zack cursed, pulling at his hair as he watched Matt enter the living room.

Matt made to move to the stairs when he saw a heap on the couch. He turned, eyes locking on the pile of blankets. He could see tiny feet peeking out from underneath the blanket. More importantly, he could see the pile of blonde hair scattered against a pillow, "Zack" Matt asked lowly, looking over to his friend.

Zack gulped, "Yes?"

He inhaled a deep breath, "Is that who I think it is?" He demanded in a frightening deep voice that almost made Zack shiver.

"Yes," Zack breathed out.

Matt kept himself from yelling out by placing his own hand over his mouth, letting out a frustrated growl before turning to Zack, "Do you know how much danger you just put her in!?" Matt pointed to the sleeping girl.

Val finally stepped into the living room, instantly recognizing the girl on the couch. She jumped, leaping towards the girl and pulling the blankets off to reveal her face. She smiled through tears at her best friend, brushing some blonde bed hair out of her face, "Vi?" She whispered, shaking her gently, earning no response from her.

"I wasn't going to leave her there, Matt," Zack glared.

"Okay," Matt sighed, "You're right. I'm just worried about what this means for us," He confessed, "I'm worried we'll all be in the line of fire when Craig realizes what's happened," Matt calmed down quickly, realizing that Zack was right. Had he seen the opportunity to save Vi, he would have done the same thing.

"What's wrong with her?" Val asked suddenly and Zack looked towards her and sighed.

"Don't worry, it's just morphine. It'll wear off in a few hours," He waved his hand nonchalantly and Matt's eyes went wide.

"You kidnapped her!?" Matt yelled.

"I did not kidnap her!" Zack protested and Matt turned to Jane, the girl in cowering in the corner. The menacing look in his eyes told her to tell the truth, and only the truth. Despite wanting to help Zack, she couldn't deny that Matt scared her almost as much as Craig did.

"Jane, what happened?" Matt asked.

She bit her lip, her hand nervously scratching at her right arm, "Well... I didn't think Violet would willingly go with Zack. So I gave her the medicine in her tea. She knocked out and we had to carry her out. I," She paused as tears filled her eyes shamefully, "I was just trying to help her. I just wanted her to be happy."

Val was instantly at the girl's side, one arm around her with she brushed some tears off her cheeks, "Oh, Sweetie, we're happy to have her back," Val cooed, "We should be thanking you."

"Does Violet take morphine regularly?" Matt asked.

Jane shook her head, "No. Craig told me to give it to her. She needed to be sleepy for the procedure she was supposed to have today," She informed them.

"You didn't tell me that," Zack stepped forward, "What procedure? Is she okay?"

"Uh," Jane looked over at Violet before looking back at the two men. She leaned into Val's comforting hug more before taking in a deep breath, "It was Craig. He said he could make her happy. I don't think she was thinking straight when she agreed. But she said it would be better for the both of you."

"What was he going to do?" Zack pressed.

"He offered to erase her memory," Jane confessed and Zack's eyes widened. He took a step back, leaning against the wall as his mind processed what was happening. Violet was going to forget him? Just like that? He was going to go on in life, thinking he still held hope while Violet would have no memory of him at all.

"It wasn't to hurt you, Zack," Val said softly.

"She was going to forget me," Zack whispered.

"She said it would be better for both of you, though," Jane spoke up, "She didn't want you to be in danger."

"Danger," Zack scoffed.

"That's all she talks about!" Jane suddenly exclaimed, even causing Matt to jump from surprise, "All I hear her talk about is how she just wants you to be happy! I don't know what the hell you all did to her, but she has always put your happiness before hers. She would rather die than see you unhappy. So don't be surprised that she would do this," Jane shook her head as tears filled her eyes, "That girl deserves her happiness. And as far as I'm concerned, she could have gotten it through this. How could her heart break over someone she's never loved?"

"She's right, Zack," Matt turned to him and Zack looked up at him with wide eyes, "Every single thing Violet has done since she's met you has been to make us happy."

"She should have given me the chance to make her happy," Zack protested.

"And now is your chance," Matt confirmed and Zack felt a smile creep onto his face. He turned to his wife and Jane, "We need to get her out of here. Grab all of her stuff and I'll put her in the car. You guys can't stay here if Craig is looking for you."

"Already ahead of you," Zack said, "I'll text you the address."

"Zack," Matt reached out and grabbed Zack's arm before he could move, "Don't let her down," He whispered and Zack was shocked to see that tears were brimming his eyes, "Not again. I can't see her go through pain again."
♠ ♠ ♠
She'll be back in the next chapter. I promise.