‹ Prequel: Pieces
Status: Active.

Glass

Sixteen

Despite my skull feeling like it was going to be ripped in half, I felt more relaxed and rested than I had in years. I groaned, rolling over on something soft. I stretched, feeling almost every bone in my body crack. I had no idea why I was so sore. It was like I was as stiff as a board. In fact, I couldn't remember much of anything.

"Violet?" A voice whispered. I groaned again. That voice definitely wasn't Jane. It actually sounded a lot like Val. Still, the staff knew that no one besides Jane was allowed inside the penthouse, "Vi?"

I opened my eyes, only to stare directly into Val's own brown ones. I couldn't do anything for a moment. This woman was my best friend. My best friend who I had betrayed deeply. I never thought I would see her again in a million years, "V-Val?" I asked in disbelief.

"Oh my God!" She exclaimed and tossed her arms around me, pulling me close. I could feel her tears soaking into my shoulder as I cautiously hugged her back, deeply confused.

"Val, what are you doing here? How did you get in?" I asked and she pulled away.

It was then that I realized I wasn't in the penthouse anymore. My lavish silk sheets were exchanged for cotton linen. The Versace drapes were now sheer white curtains that hung on large windows that expanded across the entire wall. The room was decorated with simple decorations. A few pictures and one guitar on the wall. What stood out the most was the view outside.

I knew for a fact there were no beaches in Las Vegas.

"Val," I stated with a warning tone, "Where am I?" I asked.

"Um..." Before she could speak Jane was in the doorway, a shameful look on her face as she kept her eyes on the ground. I turned to her, my eyes dark and menacing as I glared harshly in her direction.

"Jane, what have you done?" I demanded.

"I-I brought you home," She whispered softly and I closed my eyes, running a hand through my hair as I breathed deeply.

"Do you have any idea how much danger you've put my family in?" I glared at her and she backed away, her head hung low in shame. I could see herself thinking about what she had done. I grew angrier by the minute as I thought of how she betrayed me. Despite her not knowing the entire story, Jane should have known enough to know that Craig wasn't someone to be messed with.

"Vi," Val said softly from beside me and I turned to face her. She smiled through her tears, "I'm glad you still consider us family," She placed a hand over mine, "But we knew the risks when we did this. Jane only helped. I promise you, Violet, we can get through this together. You don't have to go through this alone anymore."

"Val," I sighed and shook my head, "They should have left me there."

This time it was her who glared, "We're in this together, Violet. We're glad you're back, and you're just going to have to live with that. You can either sit back and do nothing, or you can help us. Either way, we're going to figure this out."

I ran a hand through my hair as I felt my lip quiver, "Where is he?" I asked softly, fighting back tears.

"He had to go do something at the studio," She explained softly, "He didn't even want to leave. Brian almost had to drag him out," She laughed and I smiled, "He wanted to be right where I am when you woke up."

"Violet?" Jane's soft voice called and I looked up at her. By the look in her eyes I could tell she was ready to apologize, but I wasn't going to give her the chance.

"It's okay," I stated, even though it really wasn't. I held a hand up to her to stop her from speaking, "Let's just... make this best of this," I said and she nodded.

"Do you want to see the others? They've been waiting for you," Val smiled and I nodded.

"I guess now's as good a time as any."

I quickly slid into a pair of shorts and a simple v-neck. The California sun was beaming into the unfamiliar house, warming it naturally. I managed to run my fingers through my hair to help smooth down the bed head before finally following Val out. We went down a hallway and down a set of stairs before I could hear hushed talking coming from outside.

They were on the patio, staring out off to the ocean. They were making small talk, but I couldn't hear what it was. At the sight of Val they stopped talking. I took a deep breath, bringing my eyes up before stepping out onto the deck and passed the glass doors of the house.

They all looked the same for the most part. It seemed the most drastic changes were hairstyles. That I was thankful for. Youthful and vibrant, still living the dream. They all stared at me in shock at first. The boys and Michelle were all wondering what to do.

It was Jimmy who suddenly tackled me, lifting me up and spinning me around, "Violet!" He shouted as he continued to spin me. I let myself wrap my arms around him, hugging him. I had completely forgotten what Jimmy's famous hugs felt like. He set me down at my feet, looking into my eyes, "I'm so glad you're back," He smiled.

"Yeah," I muttered.

Johnny was next, taking me into his arms as he gave me a lengthy hug. He whispered a few words in my ear, telling me he was happy I was back. He told me he missed me and claimed it just wasn't the same without me.

Brian was after him. He, like Jimmy, lifted me up so my toed barely grazed the wooden deck beneath me, "You look beautiful," He told me and I smiled. He set me down and looked at me, his hands on my shoulders as he spoke, "I'm sorry," He said and I nodded, not really wanting to speak.

Michelle, like Val, tackled me in a hug. She too muttered her words of missing me before telling me she was glad to have me back. I expected as much from her, seeing as Val was so emotional when I woke up. I was sure the two of them missed our days out shopping.

That only left one person.

I turned to Matt, unable to see his entire expression due to the mirrored aviators he wore. He was the one to show the most change. Long hair to his shoulders, but he kept the famous bandana and hat he always wore. His arms were crossed over his chest, and immedielty I could tell he wasn't happy to have me. How could he? As far as I was concerned, he absolutely hated me.

"Violet," He said softly and I took a step back.

"I know," I whispered, looking down at the ground. It was like taking the walk of shame when speaking to him. All I could remember was the way his face turned red when he yelled at me, shoving an article in my face as he told me I betrayed everyone.

But suddenly, I was in his arms. His muscles wrapped around my waist as he pulled me close to his chest. His chin rested on the top of my head, holding me like I was about to escape, "I'm so sorry," He cried. He actually cried. I don't think, in the amount of time I've known Matt, I've ever seen him cry. Still, I could feel the soft tears on the top of my head as they ran down his cheeks, "Jesus Christ, I'm so fucking sorry, Violet," He sobbed as I stood there in complete shock, "I'm so, so sorry."

I pushed away, looking up at him. My eyes wide as I stared up at him, "You shouldn't be sorry for anything," I said, taking a step away from him.

"I abandoned you when you needed us most, Violet. I have everything to be sorry for," He protested and I shook my head in disagreement.

"You were doing the right thing," I assured him.

Before he could say anything else, Val's arm was around me. I turned to her as she smiled, "Regardless, we're glad you're here."

"Right," I nodded, only hearing it for the millionth time within the past twenty minutes, "Anyways," I sighed, "Who's place is this?" I asked.

"Zack's," Brian answered and I raised an eyebrow, "He got it as his secret hideaway after..." He stopped, "Well, you know."

"Oh," I nodded, "Uh... How is he?"

"Um," Brian looked to Jimmy for help, and I could see that as a bad sign already. The look they shared was one I had recognized before between Brian and Jimmy. The way they helplessly looked at each other for an answer told me something I wouldn't never forgive myself for.

Zack wasn't okay.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked, and again they said nothing, "What's wrong with him!?" I demanded, but before they could muster up a quick excuse, we heard the sound of a door opening and closing.

Goosebumps suddenly rose on my skin as a shiver passed through my body. I immediately felt my legs turn to jello as I heard footsteps echo behind me. I could feel my palms sweat and my stomach turn as I became lightheaded. All at once a thousand emotions hit me.

I turned around, eyes locking with those beautiful green eyes. Those eyes that have haunted me every single night for a year. Eyes that I tried to forget, but couldn't. I was right. They were deep like the forest. I could never forget the depth he held in his eyes. It was one of the things I loved about him.

"Violet..." He started but I immediately brought my hand back, forming a fist before punching him as hard as I could in the shoulder, "Mother fucker!" He cursed as his hand went to rub the area where I hit him.

"Why do you have to be so difficult!?" I yelled and he glared.

"Me? Difficult? I'm not the one who had to be dragged out of a fucking penthouse with fifty security guards on my ass," He argued.

"You didn't have to drag me out of there if you would have just let things be!" I protested, "God, everything I fucking do for you, you completely ignore, Zack! You've always just ignored the fact that I fucking do everything for you! All for you!" I pointed a finger at him, poking his chest.

I huffed, breathing heavily as I watched the anger fade from Zack's eyes, amusement filling them. A smile crept onto his face as he gave a soft chuckle, "What is so fucking funny about this, Zack!?" I screamed, fuming that he found something as serious as this a complete joke.

"I forgot how cute you are when you're mad," He smiled.

His hand darted out like a viper, catching my wrist as he pulled me towards him. His hand instinctively wrapped around my waist, the other catching the back of my neck as he placed his lips on mine.

Suddenly, I was home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, guys! Thank you for reading. The first chapter of my new story Temper is up! You can go read it here. I'd love your feedback on it.

Also, this story will be continued to be updated regularly. My hand is healed. Yay! Thank you all for your lovely comments and wishes for my recovery. I greatly appreciated it :)