‹ Prequel: Pieces
Status: Active.

Glass

Seventeen

I wrapped my arms around his neck, taking in every inch of him as his lips moved with mine. For a whole year I had dreamed of being in Zack's arms again. I almost wondered if this was even real. Maybe I was back in Las Vegas, fast asleep as I dreamed of him. Just like I did every night.

It was too magical to be reality. The way my lips tingled from the spark between us. The way his arms wrapped so tightly around me, just like he did on those nights I had woken up crying and screaming. I could feel the soft tears running down my cheeks as I lost myself within him.

Out of breath, he pulled away, resting his forehead against my own as he breathed deeply. He ran his thumb over my bottom lip, caressing my cheek as he pecked my lips barely, "God, I fucking missed you," He whispered.

I couldn't speak. I was choking on my own breath and tears as I tried to convince myself that this was real. This was all real, "You're an idiot, Zack," I whispered back.

He smiled, "I'd rather be a happy idiot than a miserable genius," He argued and I smiled, shaking my head as I let a laugh escape my lips.

"I'm so mad at you, I could kill you," I warned him.

He sighed and pulled his head back so he could see me completely. He pushed a few strands of hair out of my face, "I'm sick of you protecting me, Violet. It's time for me to protect you."

"You're making a mistake," I choked out, sobs threatening to shake my body.

"I'd make a million mistakes if it means you're here with me," He stated, his green eyes hard with the truth behind his words. Of course he would. He's Zack. The biggest idiot I've ever met in my entire life.

I fell into him again. Despite the warm California sun beating down on us, Zack's arms was the warmest place on Earth. I buried my face in the crook of his neck as I finally let my tears go. I let them free as worry filled my aching chest.

What have they done? Two months until my wedding, and I had run out once more. I was two months before being home-free. Free to leave everyone behind for good. Safe. As much as I wanted to be here, it didn't feel right. I felt like we were all constantly in danger.

"As much as we'd like to stay, you guys should have some alone time," Brian stated and the rest of them nodded, "Jane, you're more than welcome to come with us if you'd like," Brian motioned towards himself and Michelle.

"She can stay here," I assured them.

"Well, the offer is always open," Michelle smiled at her before heading out the door, Brian in tow. The others took the time to leave as well, nodding at us as they passed. I remained in Zack's arms as we watched them all leave, only us three remaining.

"You both are going to explain everything to me right now," I stated before shrugging Zack off, walking back into the house where the living room was. I heard an audible groan from Zack as he shuffled in, Jane behind him.

They sat on the couch while I stood, my arms crossed over my chest as I glared down at the both of them, "Before we say anything, you need to know that this isn't Jane's fault," Zack started, "I dragged her into this after I talked to her at the club and..."

"The club?" I asked and I could see the worry on Jane's face as I turned to face her, "I specifically told you to not talk to them, Jane. Did I not tell you that you'd be putting us all in danger if you did?" I asked.

"I know," She whispered, looking down at her feet, "But you were so unhappy and..."

"Who are you to judge if I am happy or not?" I asked.

"Violet, stop," Zack snapped and I turned to him, "I took the room key from her. Jimmy was a distraction to lure the security away from the penthouse floor."

"And at what point was I drugged?" I asked, hands on my hips as I looked at Jane.

"Your tea," She confessed, "The medicine I was supposed to give you at four went into your tea. Then I went and packed your bags. You passed out right before Zack arrived."

"And what possessed you to think you needed to drug me?" I asked in disbelief and she sighed.

"The way you were talking... It sounded like you wouldn't have gone with Zack willingly. I just happened to have the morphine and you just so happened to want tea. It kind of just happened," She shrugged.

"We took you down to Jane's car and we drove straight here to California. First to my house to get some things, then here. We knew he would look at my house first," Zack explained.

I looked at him, biting my lip as I watched. He was studying me just as much as I was studying him. The look in his eyes told me that he wasn't sure what to expect. He found me unpredictable.

"What are we going to do?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" He questioned.

"About this," I motioned between us, "What are we going to do?"

"What is there to do?" He almost laughed, "We're together. We move on and start living life like we should."

"And what about Craig?" I questioned and Zack inhaled sharply, "Are we supposed to just move around and hope he doesn't find us?"

"We can worry about that later," He muttered lowly.

"Later!?" I exclaimed, "Craig isn't waiting for later, Zack! He probably already has a search party looking for me!"

"I said we can wait a bit. Let's just focus on us for now," He pressed.

I huffed, crossing my arms firmly over my chest before turning back to Jane. She stood awkwardly in the corner, her eyes on the ground like a child watching her parents argue, "Jane, can you give us a minute?" I asked.

"Yeah, I wanted to check out the beach anyways," She muttered before scurrying off as fast as she could out the back door. I watched as she hurrying down the steps, taking off on the sand towards the water.

"I don't understand what there is to talk about," Zack stood, sighing deeply as he walked over to the kitchen. I followed close behind, watching his every move.

"You don't understand that the last time Craig came here he tracked Val to the grocery store!?" I exclaimed, "Does that not scare the shit out of you?"

"Why? Are you scared?" He turned to me suddenly.

"Yes," I breathed out, "I'm fucking scared shitless, Zack."

"Why are you scared? You don't think I'll be able to protect you?" He accused.

"That's not what I said, and you know it," I glared.

He scowled, turning to look away before looking back at me, "How am I supposed to protect you when you don't even believe in me?"

"I..." I shook my head, "You of all people should know what he's capable of."

"And does it look like I fucking care?" He scoffed.

"No! You don't!" I screamed, "What am I going to do when I don't show up to that wedding!? He's going to fucking kill you, Zack!"

"Just don't fucking marry him! Just forget about it!"

"How am I supposed to forget!?"

"Well you were going to forget out me pretty easily," He spat.

I gasped, taking a step back as I watched his green eyes darken. No longer was the soft and small Zack in front of me. The Zack I knew that was so sensitive. The one I had to pick up so many times. Instead, he was angry.

"You were going to just wash me away while I sat here, thinking about you every single day!" He shouted, "I never stopped thinking about you, Violet! I would fucking send Jimmy and Brian out to find out every little thing I could about you. I never stopped loving you," He hissed.

"And you think I did?" I asked, completely shocked.

"Why would you want to forget me? Why would you want to forget everything we had together!?" He yelled before turning and slamming his hand on the counter.

I jumped, my breath hitching in my throat. Never has Zack scared me before in my entire life. Zack wasn't an angry person. He was calm, collected, emotional. He was sensitive, a crier. He wasn't violent.

"God dammit," He cursed as he turned around, opening the pantry door, "Why did I believe for even a second that you would still love me? Of course you wouldn't," He scoffed, "I don't have a fucking penthouse. I don't buy you fucking Versace and Chanel. You only love the person who's on top," He seethed as he pulled out a bottle of Jack Daniels.

"Zack, stop!" I cried out as tears filled my eyes.

"Look at you, Violet!" He pointed to me, "Even your fucking t-shirt is designer! I'm sorry I can't fucking give you everything. I'm sorry I don't own an entire city. But you know," He shook his head, "For an entire year I thought my heart was enough for you."

"Please," I begged.

"But as usual, you stomped on it. But I guess that's what you do best, huh?"

I felt my heart break as he continued to knock me down, breaking me apart in every single way.

"God, you only fucking think about yourself!" He turned to me, "All this shit about protecting me and protecting us was all bullshit, wasn't it? Just so you can run off and live your perfect life and have your perfect fucking wedding!"

"Hey!" A loud voice suddenly boomed.

I turned around, my eyes locking with Matt's cold hard hazel gaze. He looked forward, his sight not leaving Zack as he took a swig from the bottle.

"Oh, and now you," Zack sneered as he rolled his eyes.

Matt stepped forward, "I have tolerated all of your shit for a year, Zack. I've taken the dirty glares and the comments towards me. I get why you hate me so much, and I took it without complaint. But I will never tolerate you speaking down to her. She's been through everything for us. Don't you dare question the person who put herself in danger just to save us!" Matt shouted.

Zack said nothing as Matt gently grabbed my arm, pulling me towards him. I fell against Matt's chest, too emotionally drained to stand on my own. I sobbed as Matt pulled me away, turning me so I couldn't see Zack's cold stare.

"What's going on?" Jane ran in, looking around at the upset faces in the room, my own tears blocking my clear vision of her.

"Can you go get yours and Violet's stuff please?" Matt asked, surprisingly softer than his usual hard voice.

"Of course," She nodded and quickly rushed up the stairs.

"And here we are again," Zack scoffed and I heard him take another swig from the bottle, "Once again you're taking her away from me."

Matt shook his head as I cowered away, wanting nothing more than to just disappear, "This time you pushed her away. Get your priorities straight before you do something stupid."

Jane reappeared with the bags that hadn't even been unpacked yet. Matt took all of them in one hand, motioning Jane out the door as I kept my head down. I couldn't bring myself to look up at Zack as Matt guided me out the door and towards his car.

Welcome home, right?