‹ Prequel: Pieces
Status: Active.

Glass

Nineteen

"I hope pepperoni is okay," Matt said, walking into the living room with three boxes of Pizza Hut in his arms. I nodded as he set them down on the coffee table, handing me a paper plate. He saw no reason why we should have to eat at the dining room table. The couch was open and the Lakers were playing.

I slid a slice onto my plate and began to pick at the hot cheese. Matt was quick to dive into the five pieces stacked high. I couldn't deny that I was starving. I hadn't eating since breakfast the previous morning. Still, once my life with Craig started I gave up on fatty foods and grease. It was up to me to keep my figure perfect. I had a reputation to keep, and Craig couldn't have me slipping on the pounds.

I nibbled at the edge of the piece, remembering how good pizza actually tasted. Eating salad for a year really made pizza taste like the greatest thing on the earth, "Aren't you going to eat more?" Matt asked with his mouth full.

I shrugged, "Not hungry," I stated.

"Impossible," He shook his head, "Morphine knocked you out for like eight to ten hours. You haven't eaten since yesterday morning probably. Not to mention that you took medicine on a near-empty stomach. So unless you eat, you're going to be feeling really sick later," He warned.

"I just," I sighed, "I'm on a diet. I don't eat pizza often."

"Diet?" He tore his eyes from the exciting game to look at me, "You didn't diet when you were with us. Why should you now?" He asked and I glared.

"I have a reputation in Las Vegas, you know. I can't have extra pounds for the paparazzi to take pictures of."

He rolled his eyes, "For fuck's sake, Vi. There's no paparazzi here. Eat your damn pizza."

I did as he said. Besides, it was my job to be obedient. I ate my piece and when I was done Matt placed a second on my plate. I asked no questions, just chewed as the game came to an end, Matt cursing loudly as the opposing team celebrated a win against his beloved Lakers.

"You done?" He asked, looking at my empty plate. I nodded and he took the plates to the trash, placing the extra pizza in the refrigerator for later before returning to the couch.

He sighed, turning off the television before turning to me. He bit his lip and he obviously looked uncomfortable as he watched me, "I can't even begin to tell you how sorry I am, Violet."

"I already told you not to apologize," I replied and he shook his head.

"I practically disowned you and you don't even act like you hate me. How is that even possible?"

"You disowned me for the right reasons, Matt," I told him firmly and he shook his head.

"I should have just let you explain. Maybe then we could have all taken off somewhere to get out of Craig's way and just figure something out. We at least would have still been a family."

"You still are my family," I replied nonchalantly, "Which is why I shouldn't be here."

"You're so terrified of this guy that you'd rather stand by him than fight with us?" He asked.

I shook my head, "I'm not scared. I'm loyal."

"He fucked with your head more than you think, Violet."

"I can't help he loves me. Eventually I gave in. He's not such a bad guy as long as I listen."

"Do you hear yourself!?" Matt exclaimed, "He should be a nice guy all the time. Being a good boyfriend isn't a reward, Vi. You should have someone in your life that treats you good. You deserve it all the time, not when you decide to cooperate."

"Oh, like Zack?" I fired, "Because he obviously is treating me so wonderfully as he brought me all the way to fucking California, just to tell me what a selfish bitch I am!" I spat.

He looked at me sadly, "I know things aren't picture perfect like they were before you left... but Zack needs to work some things out. He didn't mean any of that."

"Why wouldn't he? It's true isn't it? I only do things for myself, Matt, and you know that. Keeping my secrets was to cover my ass, not save you," I argued and he shook his head.

"That's not true, Violet. Maybe you've been up in that penthouse too long and you've forgotten. But you kept your secrets from us to protect us."

"Then why doesn't Zack see it that way? I thought he was supposed to love me unconditionally."

"He's suffering too, Vi. He's a crazed alcoholic who can't get a hold of his emotions. Any little thing can upset him. It's going to take some time for him to realize that he needs help."

I sighed, looking away from him as I thought of Zack. He had spent a year drowning himself in alcohol because of me.

"It's not your fault," Matt stated.

"It is," I cried, "Of course it's my fault!"

In an instant Matt was off the couch, kneeling down in front of me as he placed his hands gently on my knees. He looked up at me with big puppy-dog hazel eyes, his happy dimples no where in sight.

"Violet, I swear this isn't your fault," He whispered, "It's mine."

"No," I shook my head as I started to sob.

"Yes it is," He choked out. Even though his was holding in his tears, the cracks in his voice told me he was barely hanging on, "Don't you understand that if I hadn't come over to Zack's that day, you'd still be with us? Everything would be okay!"

"You were protecting your family, Matt," I told him.

"No," He argued, "I wasn't protecting my family because I wasn't protecting you," He reached forward and shakily grabbed my hand, "I've felt so guilty for the past year, Vi. So much guilt because I purposely drove you away. I kicked you out of the family when I should have done the opposite. It's no secret, Vi. Everyone hates me."

"They don't hate you, Matt," I replied.

"They do," He finally let the tears spill over, "The guys don't even look at me the same anymore. They never have. For a year they've reminded me of the worst mistake I've ever made in my life. Even my own wife has shut me out for what I did to you," He cried.

I leaned forward and wrapped my arms around Matt as he fell apart in front of me. I let him cry on his knees in front of me as he leaned on me for support. I soothingly ran my fingers through is hair as his cries echoed through the empty halls of his house.

"It's funny isn't it?" He asked, sitting up with a slight smile on his face as he brought a hand up to wipe his cheeks.

"What's so funny about this?" I questioned.

"I just let out a year's worth of frustration to the one person who shouldn't even look my way," He stated.

"I'll always look your way, Matt. We're family," I smiled and he leaned in and hugged me.

"I love you, Violet. Don't ever leave again."

I said nothing as he moved back onto the couch, pulling me into him as I thought about his words. I couldn't reply. I wasn't sure how long I was staying.

-

Brian slammed the door behind him as he entered the beach house. His chest was puffed out, a scowl on his face as he stormed through the hallway until he found himself in the living room, looking down on his passed out friend.

He pulled his foot back and kicked him square in the ribs as Zack sprung to life, coughing from the hit and groaning from the pain in his head.

"Get the fuck up," Brian spat.

"What the hell?" Zack muttered, rubbing his head as he looked up at his friend.

"I said," Brian leaned forward and grabbed Zack by the collar, "Get the fuck up."

"What the hell is your problem!?" Zack shouted, pushing his friend off of him as he was brought up to his feet.

"No, Zack, what the hell is your problem?" Brian demanded as he shoved Zack roughly, "Get the fuck over yourself and stop drinking yourself into this mess. Violet is back, okay? She's back. And she won't be here for long if you don't get your shit together."

"W-What?" Zack shook his head, removing the sleep from his eyes as he looked around. His living room was scattered with empty bottles and he was quick to notice that both Violet and Jane's stuff was gone, "Where is she?"

"Not your concern right now," Brian replied smartly and Zack glared.

"This isn't funny, Brian. If Craig-"

"She's safe," He cut him off, "And that's all you need to know. Because as of yesterday, you've made an ass out of yourself. Do you even understand what happened yesterday!?"

"We argued... I don't remember," Zack shrugged.

"She's been guilt-ridden for a year. You pull her out of her safe-zone that she's already become used to because of how brainwashed she is. Only to bring her home so you can tell her how selfish she is?"

"I said that?" Zack asked, his eyes wide and glossy.

"You said a lot of things, Zack," Brian mumbled and Zack immediately ran a hand through his hair, "Listen," He sighed, "You need to start understanding that she isn't the same Violet you knew. She's... delicate. She's constantly torn between coming back to you and staying with Craig."

"Why should that even be a question? She's supposed to love me, isn't she?" Zack asked.

"You stay with the same person for a year, doing everything they say. A year is a long time for someone to grow comfortable. Did you ever think that maybe she's confused because Craig made her confused?"

Zack sighed deeply and looked out at the ocean view in front of him, "Is she okay?" Zack asked.

"She's with Matt," Brian confessed and Zack sent him a wary look, "It'll be good for both of them. He's... he needs to hear her forgive him. Besides, Matt's the only one besides you that has a place Craig doesn't know about."

Zack nodded, "So what now?"

"Matt said he'll let me know when she's ready to see you. She needs time to heal."

"But-"

"And so do you," Brian looked at Zack square in the eye, "I'm cleaning out your cupboards today. No more alcohol, Zack. If you're going to get her back then you need to clean up. She saved you once, Zack," Brian sighed, "Don't make her do it again. She's not as strong as she used to be."