‹ Prequel: Pieces
Status: Active.

Glass

Twenty-Two

I smiled at how careful Zack was being. He put a jacket and a hood on me, and wouldn't let me leave out the front door until he knew for sure that the street was completely empty. Even Matt had to tell him that his house was completely secretive, but that still didn't stop him.

It was nice to know that he was trying. He wasn't being reckless. It gave me a little more hope, but something was still nagging at me. I continued to watch Zack as he took side streets all the way back to the beach house, instead of going on the main road. He was constantly switching lanes and checking his mirrors in case anyone was following us.

"We're okay," I stated softly and he looked over at me, finally pulling into the garage of his home. He shut the garage with the remote before I watched as he let out a large breath he had been holding, "Feel better?" I asked.

"Now that you're here, yes," He smiled back, "Let's go inside."

I did as he said, opening the door as he grabbed my things from the back of the trunk. I went around the front of the car where his hand was held out. I took it softly as he led me into the house, shutting the door as we entered the living room. He sighed, setting my bags down before turning to me.

He placed both hands on my cheeks, leaning in before placing a kiss on my lips. He kept them there, letting the warmth fill me as he kept his face close to mine, even after he pulled away, "I love you," He whispered.

"I love you too," I replied.

He stayed quiet as we landed on the couch, both exhausted. I was tired from all the excitement from the past few days, and Zack was probably exhausted from stress. I wasted no time in curling into his side, wrapping my arms around his middle as he turned on some terrible sitcom on the television. His arm instinctively wrapped around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

"Vi?" I asked and I looked up at him, "I wanted to ask you something."

"About what?" I asked and he turned to face me.

"After Brian came over and told me what happened, I started thinking about what you said. How you were worried about Craig coming here," He started.

"Yeah?" I questioned, still not sure where he was going with this.

"If he were to come here, it would be to bring you back, right?" He asked and I nodded, "Well, what if he couldn't bring you back?"

"Zack, I don't think there's anything that could stop him," I admitted.

"I know he can do what he did last time and threaten you. Technically it's still kidnapping, but you went willingly. What if he wasn't able to do that this time?" He questioned.

"Well, I'd worry about you and the band. He still has a lot of things he can take away from you, Zack."

"But he wouldn't be able to take you," He stated.

"Where are you going with this, Zack?" I asked.

He was nervous, I could see it. He sighed, bringing his hands forward to grasp mine tightly, "Craig can't take you if you're already a married woman," He stated.

I was frozen in time. It was like the entire world around me had stopped spinning. My mind flashed back to the day I tried on my wedding dress. I remembered how I wished it were Zack I was marrying, and not Craig. I remembered how I envisioned the entire ceremony with Zack at the altar, instead of Craig.

"Z-Zack..." I whispered as tears filled my eyes.

At the same time, would Zack be marrying me if Craig wasn't in the picture? I didn't want to get married as an excuse to run away. That wasn't fair to either of us. I wanted Zack to marry me because he loved me.

"Vi, are you okay?" He asked softly, placing a hand on my cheek.

"Would you marry me even if all of this wasn't happening?" I asked softly, tears finally spilling over as they rolled down my cheeks.

"What?" He asked, "Of course I would. I'd marry you either way."

"I just don't want us getting married as an excuse just to get away from Craig. I want you to marry me because you want to," I explained.

"Violet," He stated firmly, "I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I wouldn't be doing all of this if I didn't," He leaned in closely and looked into my eyes as he whispered, "You mean the world to me."

"I," I paused, unable to form words. I felt Zack gently kiss my forehead before pulling away.

"You should think about it," He said, "I know you're confused right now."

"You do?"

He nodded, "You just planned an entire wedding with Craig and he made you believe that you were going to spend the rest of your life with him. I know it's hard, Violet, but you have to trust me. You have to remember what it was like before him," He explained.

"You're acting extremely different," I noted and he sighed.

"I'm not going to lie, Violet," He started, "I was really upset when you mentioned Craig. I was also really hurt when I found out about the memory loss thing. I just wanted to pick you up and bring you home so we could start our life together. When it didn't exactly go my way, I was pissed," He sighed, "I don't understand why you did certain things, but the guys opened my eyes a lot. I need to be here for you. You've done enough for me. Let me be here for you."

"Zack," I shook my head, "I thought losing my memory would be the easiest way to be happy. Do you realize that before Craig asked me, I thought I would never be back in California again?" I asked and he looked away, "It's not about doubting you, Zack. It's about facing reality. I didn't want to live forever missing you and hoping one day we could be together, when I knew it wouldn't happen. Zack," I stated and he looked at me, "It was never to hurt you."

"I know," He nodded and softly laced his fingers with mine, "I get it now. But you have to let me help you, Vi. You have to let me figure this out. Stop worrying about Craig and stop thinking this isn't going to work. I need you to believe me. I just need your support."

"You have it," I assured, "I'll think about it, Zack," I said and he looked at me with hopeful eyes.

"You will?" He asked.

I nodded with a smile, "You know, when I tried on my wedding dress a week ago, I stood there and looked into the mirror. The only thing I could think about was how I wanted it to be you," I confessed, "I wanted to be walking down the aisle towards you, not him."

He looked relieved, and he couldn't manage any words as he pulled me close. I melted into him, finally feeling relaxed for the first time in a week. I let all of my worries go and I let myself believe that Zack would fix this. I actually believed in him.

I just hoped it would be enough.

-

"We have a problem," Brian stated, walking into Matt's living room. Jane had already been brought to Matt's house, late in the evening when the familiar black trucks were out of sight. She was sitting on the couch between Val and Michelle as they watched a sappy chick flick.

"What's wrong?" Matt asked. Brian said nothing as he grabbed the remote from Val, changing the channel quickly before motioning all of them to look towards the screen.

Craig Stevenson, the billionaire business man from Las Vegas, has issued an official statement of grief. He informed the public that his fiancee, Violet Kennedy is missing. Kennedy is known for taking off of Stevenson before, but he assures that this time she didn't leave willingly.

He stated, 'Violet and I are a couple months to be wed. It just so happens that on the day we found her missing, there was a security breach in the hotel where she was at. It was brought to my attention that this is not a coincidence, and Violet is indeed missing. I ask that if any of you have information of her whereabouts, to contact your local police station'.

Along with Violet, her personal assistant is missing as well. The police have investigated the penthouse in which Violet was staying and ruled out foul play, but didn't rule out the fact that he was indeed kidnapped. Stevenson has issued a multi-million dollar reward for anyone who can provide legitimate information."


Matt put his head down in defeat as the news anchor switch subjects and Brian finally turned the television off, "What the hell are we going to do?" Brian asked.

"Look, Zack didn't kidnap her, okay? If the police found her, they can't arrest him," Matt noted.

"You think she would confess to willingly leaving Craig?" Brian questioned.

"You think she would throw Zack in jail?" Matt argued and Brian nodded, "We need to talk to Violet and tell her what's going on. We need to tell her that if it comes down to it, she might have to deny any accusations Craig is throwing at her."

"Can she really do that, though?" Brian asked, "Is she ready to stop being loyal to him?"

Matt nodded, "If Zack stands by her, then I think she is."

Michelle suddenly stood, leaving Jane and Val on the couch as she walked over to her husband, grabbing his arm, "We need to talk," She stated and continued to drag him away from the living room. Matt followed, confusion etched on his face before she finally stopped when they were away from the living room.

"What's going on?" Brian asked.

"That whole story about Vi's father is a lie," Michelle stated and Brian raised an eyebrow at her, "Her father never walked out on them for another woman. Vi's mom divorced him and made up the entire story."

"Okay, what does any of that have to do with this?" He questioned.

"Because she divorced him when she found out he promised Violet's hand in marriage to Craig," She confessed and their eyes widened, "Vi's father and Craig's father were business partners, and wanted to combine the fortune through marriage."

"That's what this is about?" Matt questioned, "Craig wanting more money?"

Michelle shook her head, "Now that they're divorced, there's no money there. He's just some sick sadistic spoiled rich kid who's used to getting what he wants," She informed them, "He just wants Violet simply because he can't have her, and he spent a long time thinking he did."

Brian breathed out shakily, letting the information process, "This isn't good," He mumbled.

"What do you mean this isn't good?" Matt questioned, "We finally have something against him and his family."

"No," Brian shook his head, "Do you realize what this means?" He asked. Matt and Michelle both shook their heads and Brian sighed, "It means that this whole thing is because of Craig. If he's that attached to Violet then he will never stop until he has her. We can't trick him into giving her up and we can't make a deal with him. He literally is not going to stop until Violet is back in Vegas."

Matt casted his eyes downward, remembering his deal to Violet. He was suddenly doubting that he could keep her safe. The last thing he wanted was to put her on a plane and send her off, "What about the dad?" Matt asked.

"What about him? He's obviously on Craig's side," Brian scoffed.

"We don't know that," Matt shrugged, "Besides, he has no attachment to Violet or Craig. If we can't make a deal with Craig then we might as well try to make a deal with him."

"He's right," Michelle stated softly, "If we find Violet's father and explain everything, maybe he can help us. He was a business partner after all. If anyone knows Craig, it would be him."

"And you really think bringing Vi's father around is going to help?" Brian asked, "The source of all of Violet's problems finally back in front of her?"

Michelle sighed, "It's a lot better than Craig being here," She reminded him and he nodded.

"Okay," He sighed, "Send the Berry's out. If anyone can find anything it's them. They should check all records to find out where he went after Vegas. Maybe we can track him down."

Brian wasn't sure what this all meant for everyone. He wasn't sure if Mr. Kennedy would be willing to help out or not, but he was running out of options. He wasn't about to let his family down again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I started brainstorming ideas for my next story. I still have a ways to go because I'm going to finish this story and Temper first. I do know that I want my next story to either be a gang or supernatural inspired. That being said, if any of you know of some good stories of either of those genres please let me know. You can either leave the name of the story in the comments or send me a message. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you :)