‹ Prequel: Pieces
Status: Active.

Glass

Twenty-Three

Sun poured into the large windows that took up most of the bedroom wall. I opened my eyes, wincing at the white light that poured in through the sheer curtains. Slowly, my vision focused and I saw the stunning beach view in front of me. I watched as the water calmly rose towards the sand before retracting back out.

"I really need to get curtains in here," He groaned, "Thick curtains that make this room practically black."

I laughed, turning to face him. He had an arm over his eyes, blocking the sun that poured in. I leaned in close and wrapped my arms around him, "I don't like it dark."

I removed his arm and looked at me, "I know. But who needs sunlight when I have you next to me?" He asked and I buried my face into his chest.

"We'll compromise with a light fabric that won't make the sun so bright," I stated.

"Sounds good," He kissed my cheek and wrapped an arm around me.

For a week we were okay. Zack and I didn't go out much, other than the beach that was practically our backyard. We spent most of our time flipping through various catalogues, starting with Ikea. We've found looking for furniture and hose decor the perfect distraction. Our days went smooth and Zack made sure not to say anything that would upset me. The topic of Craig had only arisen once when we were home.

The occasion was when Matt and Brian came over. They originally were going to inform Zack that I was now listed as a missing person, according to the Las Vegas police department. Zack was done keeping secrets though, and confessed to me what was going on. I had to admit that it was nice knowing Zack wanted to tell me everything, even if it scared me more.

Because of the reports going around in the evening news, we weren't allowed to leave much. All the other guys were ordered by Matt to stay away as much as possible, due to Craig possibly tracking them. It was only Matt and Val that were allowed to visit us, because they were the safest.

"What are you thinking about?" Zack asked softly as he trailed his fingertips softly up and down my side.

"I miss everyone," I sighed deeply and he looked at me sadly.

"I know," He stated, "Just a little longer. Brian's working on trying to fix this, okay?"

"Okay," I breathed out.

I learned a while ago to not question what Brian was doing. According to Zack, Brian was working on something to help us. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to know. Despite being upset about Zack not wanting to tell me, I didn't protest. Zack wanted me to trust him, and I was going to.

"C'mon, lets go make something to eat. Then we can go to the beach," He smiled and I nodded, following him out of the bed.

Zack got busy making breakfast while I flipped through a new furniture catalogue. We had managed to get the basics down for the bedroom. A new large bed with black woodwork that I knew Zack would love, a new bookcase, and a few decorations that mimicked our old bedroom. Still, we hadn't begun to tackle the living room which was practically bare, or the kitchen.

"What about this?" I asked, holding up the magazine. I pointed to an entertainment center large enough to hold all of his records and DVDs in his collection. It was wooden, painted in a flat black that Zack liked, and would fit perfectly in the living room where a large television was mounted on the wall.

He turned, eyes catching the picture before he smiled, "It'll look great, Babe," He stated before pecking my cheek.

Despite having already been in a relationship with Zack, I was still blushing at any moment he did something that made me feel loved. Event the tiniest things made my heart flutter.

"It'll look good with the couches you were looking at," I informed him as he handed a plate of pancakes to me.

"I think we should look at some kitchen stuff today. We're missing some major necessities," He said and I smiled, tossing the magazine aside so I could eat my pancakes. We basically had a stove, oven, and a microwave in our kitchen. We didn't have a blender, toaster, or any other basic kitchen needs besides a few pans. It was kind of annoying when we were trying to cook dinner.

"What about an office?" I questioned and he looked at me, "You're going to need a place to run VU," I reminded him.

"We'll worry about that last. I put that on hold for a while," He stated and I frowned disapprovingly, "It's only for a little while," He assured.

"I don't know, Zack. I mean, you're kind of putting everything on hold right now. What about your fans?" I asked.

"Listen," He turned to me, "I've run VU long enough without you. I'm waiting until everything is okay again. I just want to start it up with you. I want it to be ours, you know?" He asked.

"Ours?" I asked.

"You know that company is just as much as yours as it is mine. It'd be in the ground if it weren't for you. I don't want to continue it without you," He confessed.

I smiled over at him, "Really?" I asked and he nodded.

"Of course. I can't do much without you, if you haven't noticed."

"I guess you're right," I agreed with a cheeky grin.

He pecked my lips and he successfully managed to get maple syrup on my face. I scrunched my nose, only for him to begin to rapidly place maple traced kisses all over my face, "Zack!" I shrieked as he laughed. I jumped off the counter, dodging him as I ran across the living room.

"Hey!" He shouted in protest, chasing after me.

"No!" I cried with a laugh as he wrapped his arms around me before I could climb up the stairs. He lifted me up, spinning me around as I laughed wildly before we fell back into the couch. I climbed on top of Zack, looking down at him as he stared up at me.

"I love you so much, Violet," He stated softly, a hand reaching up so he could caress my cheek.

"I love you too, Zack. Which is why-" Before I could say anything, there was a fast knock on our door.

Zack and I groaned as I slid off of him as he got up, fixing his shirt as he made his way down the hall to the front door. He pulled it open and I immediately heard the sound of Jimmy's laughter.

"What are you doing here? I thought we told you-"

"Nonsense!" Jimmy protested and pushed past Zack as he shut the door, "I made sure the coast was clear first."

"Jimmy," Zack started but I quickly put a hand on his shoulder to calm him down.

"It's okay," I stated softly and he nodded before I turned to Jimmy, "I actually missed you."

"I missed you guys too, which is why I'm here," He grinned, "And I brought you guys gifts!"

It was then I realized that Jimmy was carrying some massive things in his arms. Several bags, a few shopping bags, and even a guitar case.

"Is that my guitar?" Zack asked, his eyes wide.

"Yeah, I figured going to your house was too risky so I swung by the studio. I have your acoustic in the trunk of my car," He smiled proudly.

Any anger or annoyance Zack held towards Jimmy suddenly melted away as he smiled brightly at him, "Thanks, Man."

"And for you," Jimmy turned to me, "I figured you were bored of Zack's horror movies so I brought you these," He handed me a bag filled with DVDs. All different genres from Disney to action was in there.

"Thanks, Jimmy," I grinned.

"But that's not all!" He exclaimed, "I also brought you guys clothes, Zack's computer, and some important VU paperwork I found at the studio. I wasn't sure if you needed that or not."

"Not at the moment, but soon hopefully," Zack smiled.

"Hey, why don't you go take some of this stuff upstairs. I have to talk to Zack about some songs," Jimmy suggested towards me. I turned to Zack, eyes locking with his before he gave me a subtle nod. I obliged, heading up the stairs quickly with the bags Jimmy gave me.

I wasn't stupid. I knew they were probably going to talk about something I'm not supposed to know about. This happened occasionally. Matt would call Zack and he would end up leaving the room, just to be safe. It was odd that Jimmy would show up out of no where just to speak to Zack in person.

I had to remember that Zack needed my trust, no matter how hard that was for me. I had to trust that if it were really bad, he would tell me the truth. I just needed to have some faith in him.

-

"What's wrong?" Zack demanded as soon as he heard the bedroom door close.

"Brian found him," Jimmy stated lowly and Zack's eyes widened. Zack knew the day was coming that Violet's father would be found. Truth be told, he wasn't so keen on meeting the guy. This was the man who was responsible for all the pain he suffered through Violet. He saw how hurt Violet was, and he could only imagine what if would do if she saw him again. He wasn't exactly going to welcome him with open arms.

"H-He did?"

He nodded, "He's been in Florida running some clubs in Miami."

"How did you do it?" Zack questioned.

"It wasn't easy. The Berry's had to dig through Violet's personal records to find her birth certificate just to get his name. His name is Anthony Kennedy, he's fifty-three years old, and he's worth eight million dollars."

"Wow," Zack breathed out, "So what now?"

"Matt flew to Miami," Jimmy shrugged and Zack's eyes went wide.

Despite wanting to fix the problems Violet had with the entire Stevenson family, he wasn't expecting the guy to come to California. He also wasn't expecting Matt to risk flying out of California just to find him. As far as he was concerned, Anthony could still be friends with the Stevenson family.

"What!?" Zack exclaimed.

"Matt's the most intimidating out of all of us. So he went to try and bring him back to California. He think he should be the one to tell Violet everything, then we can focus on getting him to keep Craig away," Jimmy explained.

"Okay, but what about the risks? I mean, think about what this means for Violet and if Craig finds out-" Zack was cut off with Jimmy quickly placing a hand over his friend's mouth.

Jimmy's blue eyes stared down at Zack intensely, "Listen to me, Zack. Violet can't know about this until we know he's going to help us. We're going to make sure everything is okay before we bring him here. Until then we need to keep quiet about this."

"Okay," He breathed out, "I trust you guys."

"Good, because we also don't think it's a good idea for you to meet him when he gets here," Jimmy announced sheepishly.

"Why the hell not!?" Zack demanded and Jimmy groaned.

"You hold a biased hatred towards him, Zack," He informed him.

"He tried to put Vi in an arranged marriage. Of course I have a fucking biased hatred towards him," Zack snapped.

"See? We need to approach this delicately, or he might not want to help."

"No," Zack shook his head, "He needs to hear it from someone who experienced being with Violet first hand. He should hear what's been happening from me," Zack argued.

Jimmy knew the consequences of having Violet's father and Zack in the same room. He wasn't sure if Zack would beat the guy, or cut to the chase and just murder him. He knew deep down it wasn't a good idea. He and Brian had decided that Zack shouldn't be involved, but he also knew that there was no getting out of this. Zack was going to get his way, wether he liked it or not.

"Okay," Jimmy sighed, "But the moment you try to kill him we're taking you out of the room," Jimmy warned.

"Fine," Zack huffed.

-

"It's been two weeks!" Craig screamed, roughly throwing one of his fists into the wall beside him as the rest of his security team cowered, "Fourteen days and we know absolutely nothing! I've done everything. Now the entire public knows and we haven't gotten a single call about her!"

"Sir, we've checked all the houses extensively. The only strange thing seems to be that Mr. Baker hasn't been home at all," Jason explained.

"And you don't think that has anything to do with this?" Craig snapped, "He's taken her somewhere. I know he has," He slammed his fist on his desk, "I don't care what it takes. I don't care who you have to call or what you have to do. I want to know everything about Zack Baker. If he owns any other homes or buildings, find them. I want to know everything!" He demanded.

"Sir, that's going to take weeks and that's not exactly legal," Jason warned.

"Does it look like that matters right now?" Craig asked lowly and Jason shook his head.

"No."

"Good. I also want an official statement given to the press. Tell them a reward will be offered to anyone who can give us information about Violet. Make sure they keep stressing this as a kidnapping. I want him to look like the culprit."

"Yes, Sir. Also, Mr. Stevenson, I would also like to inform you of something else," Jason started.

"What is it?"

"Well, Ms. Kennedy left voluntarily before, right? And it's obvious Mr. Baker helped her get out this time. If you do find her, how do you plan on bringing her back? I don't think bribery is going to work anymore," Jason stated cautiously. The last thing he wanted was to get fired, but he also had to make sure Craig understood the situation.

Craig sighed deeply, bringing a hand up to run through his hair as he started to think about different options. He needed Violet to come back voluntarily. He had a sick feeling that Zack didn't care about his band or company anymore, and that honestly frightened him.

"You're right," He nodded, "We need to start looking into other options."

"What do you need me to do, Sir?" Jason questioned.

"Please send a limo for Ms. Anderson. I think it's time we've had a talk about her daughter," He stated darkly and Jason's eyes widened.

"Ms. Anderson, as in Violet's mother?" He questioned and Craig nodded, "Sir, I'm not sure she's going to be willing to come with us."

"If she objects, then tell her exactly this," He turned so he could face Jason directly, "Tell her that Violet is back in California with Zack and that I am prepared to do anything to get her back... Do you understand?"

"Yes, Sir."

If Zack Baker was ready to put up a fight, Craig thought, then he was prepared to give him a war.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so if I repeat anything in this chapter that's already been in previous chapters, I'm sorry. My drafts got mixed up in the midst of a writer's block and I just feel extremely scrambled. I figured the only way to get myself out of this mess, is to just keep going.

That being said, the updates will not be as regular as you all probably want them to be. It'll take me a while to get back to where I was. But I haven't forgotten. I love this story and I want you guys to get to the end. Thank you to everyone who has stuck with me, even during this extremely long break I took. I really am grateful for all of you commenters.