‹ Prequel: Pieces
Status: Active.

Glass

Six

"I honestly can't tell you why, Zack," Samantha muttered softly, "The girl won't even go out to go shopping. She just stays up there until Craig forces her to come out," She explained.

"Which would explain why Vi needs a decoy," Brian sighed and she nodded in agreement.

"Listen, what Violet does isn't my concern anymore. I don't know all the details like I used to. All I know is that a few weeks after she came back, she became silent. No paparazzi, no shopping... nothing. All I know is that she has an assistant named Jane who does anything Violet asks."

"But no one knows why she won't leave?"

"Oh, I'm sure Craig knows. He hardly talks about Violet's feelings with me. It's not my job to know," She shrugged.

"We should get you back home. It's getting late," Brian stated as he stood up, handing the girl her jacket, "We'll pay for your cab. We can walk you down to the lobby."

"I'll do it," Zack said suddenly and the guys looked at him, "I'll walk her down," He assured her.

"Thanks," She muttered and took a step to the door.

"Hey," Brian called and she turned back, "I know we kind of took you against your will, but you really helped us. We really do love her. She's like family."

She smiled, "I may hate Violet for a lot of things... But I'm glad she finally has a family. Lord knows she never had one before," She shrugged and Zack opened the door for her.

The two were silent as they walked through the hallway. Zack's hands were shoved in his pocket, eyes locked on the floor as he pressed the down button for the elevator. The hotel was practically empty, a ghost town. He occasionally looked at her from the safe of his eye, but brought his sight back down towards his shoes.

They got into the elevator and the doors closed and she cooly leaned against the mirrored wall in the confined space, "I know why you wanted to walk me down," She stated, keeping her eyes focused on the control panel of the elevator.

"I thought maybe you would," He shrugged.

"I know what you're going to ask me," She confessed.

"Is this your way of subtly telling me you won't answer me?" He asked and she turned and looked at him.

"Ask me," She whispered.

He took a deep breath and tore his eyes away from her, thinking about the beautiful blonde he once called his. He turned back to her and sighed, "Say I wanted to get inside that penthouse without being noticed... How would I do it?"

She smiled, "Distraction," She answered and he raised an eyebrow, "The stairway will take you to the penthouse without requiring a room key, unlike the elevator. Security is all along the hallway. But," She shrugged, "If something were to suddenly steal the guards' attention, they all leave the hallway to go handle the situation. It's security protocol."

"Leaving the room open?" He questioned and she nodded.

"It's locked, though. A simple room card will open it, but the penthouse key can only be received at the front desk by Craig or Violet," She explained.

"How would I get in?" Zack asked.

"You just have to trust she'll open the door," She shrugged and he sighed. She looked at him sadly before looking away, "There's a spare key meant for emergencies," She confessed, "The security team keeps it underneath one of the decorative vases in the hallway."

"I'm assuming there's a camera?" Zack asked.

"You're assuming correctly," She replied.

Suddenly, the doors to the elevator opened and they were in the lobby. The stepped out and walked across the from desk towards the glass doors that opened to the valet in front of the hotel. Zack waved down a cab, gave the driver a couple hundreds, then turned to the girl.

"Are you still really jealous of Violet?" Zack asked. He could understand why Samantha could be so jealous of the horrible life Violet lived. The girl knew the truth about her friend's living circumstances, so why still feel that way?

"Yes," She answered honestly, "But not because she gets the designer pursues and shoes. Not even because of Craig," She stated.

"Then what are you jealous of?" Zack questioned.

"The fact that she has a man who would do anything for her," She replied honestly and Zack blushed. She smiled and reached forward, placing a hand on his shoulder, "I hate Violet for a lot of things. Things I should let go... But the world has been too cruel to that girl. At least she has someone there to make things a little brighter."

"Thank you," He whispered, "For everything."

She smiled widely, "Take care of her, Zack. She's going to need you now more than ever."

Zack knew she was right. And he would never stop taking care of her. He was prepared to take care of Violet for the rest of his life.

Now all he had to do, was find her.

-

Zack took in a deep breath, bolting out of the elevator and looking down the hall. He walked along the hallway until he stopped at the room he was looking for. He knew it was well past the wee hours of the morning, and everyone was probably asleep. But it would be his only time to talk to his friend in private before the band came back together in the morning.

He raised his hand and banged on the door repeatedly, knowing it would take a while for his friend to roll out of bed. After three minutes of knocking, the door floor open, revealing dark and gloomy blue eyes, "For the love of God, it's like four in the morning," Jimmy mumbled.

"I know, Dude, and I'm sorry. But I have a favor to ask you," Zack stated, "A huge favor."

Jimmy looked at him with realizing eyes, watching Zack carefully. Zack cringed, worried Jimmy would either tell the rest of the guys his plans, or flat out say no.

"Well it's about damn time!" Jimmy smiled, suddenly forgetting the time and his hangover, "I've been waiting since the moment we landed for you to come ask for my help!" He exclaimed, grabbing Zack by the collar and pulling him inside the room.

Zack stumbled, landing on the loveseat in the corner as Jimmy poured him a drink, "Wait, what?" Zack shook his head.

"C'mon," He shrugged, "Like you were going to come to Vegas without a plan?" He questioned, "You know, I'd be pretty offended if I wasn't involved in this so-called scheme of yours."

"Did you know about Brian and Dan, then?" Zack asked.

Jimmy shrugged, "Not until Dan suddenly disappeared at the club last night. I saw him take off, and I knew it had to do something with Violet. Then all of a sudden, you're drunk and Brian's carrying you out. You should know I get smarter with alcohol," Jimmy pointed out and Zack laughed.

"You caught me," He smiled.

Jimmy sat down, setting the bottle of Jack on the table, "So what's the plan?"

"I'm not too sure yet," Zack answered, "To be quite honest. All I know as that I need a distraction."

Jimmy grinned widely, "You've come to the right place. What'll it be, Partner? Damsel in distress? Molly Maid? Maybe a fierce looking fireman?"

Zack laughed and shook his head, "I was thinking more along the lines of breaking the law with maybe some alcohol involved?"

"So you want me to be myself?" Jimmy asked with a smile, "I can do that. When and where?"

"I don't know yet," Zack sighed, "I'm still working it out."

Jimmy smiled and sighed, looking out over the Vegas skyline. Zack's eyes followed suit, and they both remained in silence as they looked over the glistening city. Even at four in the morning, the city sparkled. It was almost haunting as Zack saw the lights twinkling through the dusk sky.

"Isn't it weird to imagine that she could be looking at the same exact view, at this exact moment?" Zack asked softly.

Jimmy looked at him with sad eyes, "Zack," He called and bright green eyes found his, "Brian called me while you were walking Samantha down," He confessed and Zack raised an eyebrow at him, "He told me everything she said."

"If this is some kind of lecture..." Zack warned and Jimmy shook his head furiously.

"No, not at all. You know we want to find Violet more than anything," He protested and Zack relaxed, "But he told me that Samantha said Violet didn't want to leave her room."

"That girl could be covering up for Craig," Zack defended and Jimmy shook his head.

"I wish more than anything that Vi could be right here with us... But you have to prepare yourself Zack."

"For what?" Zack questioned, his bottom lip starting to quiver, and his body growing weak.

"She might push you away," Jimmy stated and Zack stood to leave, but Jimmy's long arm reached out and grabbed the sleeve of his jacket, pulling him back down to the chair, "I'm sure she still loves you, Zack, but who knows that kind of crap Craig has put in her head within a year."

Zack took in a deep breath, "I'm going to get her back, Jimmy. I don't care what it takes."

Jimmy nodded, "I know. Just be careful, man."

With that, Zack stood. He turned on his heels and opened the door, showing himself out. Jimmy sighed, looking down at his lap.

He just had a really bad feeling about this.
♠ ♠ ♠
All good things come to those who wait.