‹ Prequel: Pieces
Status: Active.

Glass

Eight

The sensation occuring in the pit of my stomach was uninviting. Two hours ago I was being fitted for my wedding dress, now I'm about to get into a car to head to Craig's most popular club. The club that just so happens to be promoting Avenged Sevenfold's new album.

"Are you alright, Violet?" Jane asked me.

"You know the answer to that," I snapped and she hung her head. I wasn't prepared to be nice anymore. I didn't care who it was. I was irritable. I was upset. I was a million things besides happy, "Where is he anyways?"

"Who?" Jane questioned.

"Craig, you idiot," I rolled my eyes. A habit I never really got rid of.

"He'll be meeting us at the club," She informed me and I groaned, motioning her to open the front door so we could head out to the elevators in the hallway.

As soon as I stepped out into the hallway, the security team was ready. They were in formation, all of them dressed in a suit, ready to escort me down to the limo, "Good evening, Miss Kennedy," Jason smiled at me. I didn't respond. I never liked Jason. He reminded me too much of Dan, and it was annoying. He placed a hand on my lower back to escort me to the elevator, before I shrugged him off.

"I did not give you permission to touch me," I hissed, and he immediately stepped away, "Just get me down to the car," I ordered.

"Yes, Ma'am," He pressed the button for the elevator and it opened.

Sometimes I feel like I'm falling. Spiraling out of control. I try to see the difference between illusion and reality. Was I really Violet Kennedy? Soon to be Violet Stevenson? Was this entire life a shimmer of what the dark reality really was? Perhaps I didn't even exist. Maybe, just maybe, I was alone and broken with not a penny to comfort me.

"Miss Kennedy, the car is this way," Jason motioned to the glass doors leading out to the front of Caesar's Palace. I nodded, bracing myself for the furious bright lights that would reach me.

I had almost forgotten the feel of the flash of a camera against my skin. They came suddenly, out from around the corner. I glared, holding my hand up to block the intense lights of the flash blinding me. I let out a groan of frustration as I could see anything, unable to tell where I was going. I looked over to see Jason standing there like a deer in headlights as I became surrounded.

"Jason, you idiot, don't just stand there!" I yelled at him, and he jumped to action. He leapt forward, putting an arm around my shoulder as he guided me to the car, pushing the people surrounding me out of the way.

Before I knew it I was being stuffed into the back of a limo, Jane shoved beside me. I groaned, tossing my hair over my shoulder as I began to nervously pick at my nails.

I was secretly hoping they wouldn't show. Maybe they'd be too upset to see me again. Then again, who was I kidding. Jimmy wouldn't rest until he got his way, and of all of them he'd be the one mostly likely to want to see me again.

And still, those green eyes continued to haunt me.

I sighed, leaning back into the seat. I could see Jane watching me, out of the corner of my eye. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath, "Jane, I'm sorry," I muttered.

"It's alright, Miss Kennedy," I could hear the smile in her voice. I opened my eyes and looked at her. She was smiling brightly at me. She was so young and full of wonder and life. She had so much ahead of her, yet here I was ordering her around like a slave.

"You know you're the closest thing I have to a friend. I don't mean to hurt you," I informed her and she nodded.

"I consider you my friend, Violet," She smiled.

"Do me a favor, Jane," I stated and she looked up at me, "Don't go talking to those boys," and I could see her smile drop into a frown, "Please, Jane, it will only make things worse."

She nodded, "I understand, Miss Kennedy," She responded.

I sighed, looking over out the window as we drove past the city skyline. For the first time since first returning to Vegas, I actually wanted to disappear.

-

The limo stopped in the private parking lot behind the Palms. Judging by the Maserati parked in the executive parking spot, I knew Craig was already here. I sighed, the fingers on my right hand automatically going towards the ring on my left. I caressed the diamond, remembering my duty that I served well.

A partner. A servant. A wife.

"Miss Kennedy?" Jane's soft voice pulled me out of my thoughts. I turned to her, realizing that the door was open, a cold draft from the Vegas night drifting into the limo, "Are you alright?"

"I'm perfectly fine. Let's go," I assured her and exited the limo. Someone was to my left almost instantly, while Jane remained on my right like she always did.

As soon as we turned the corner bright lights began to flash. I kept my head down as I was escorted into the club. It was a routine.

I heard all the questions being shouted at me. When was the wedding? Where will it be held? Who's invited? Craig was already planning to announce all the details later. I wouldn't have to worry about anything. I guess that was one good thing about Craig. He didn't bother unless he had to. He knew I disliked talking to magazines and the media, so he kept me away from it as much as he could.

A part of me was sick for even considering the fact that Craig could be a nice guy. He could be a good husband, as long as I did as I was told. It wasn't a chore anymore, really. He asked me to play nice, so I did. In return, as promised, I was rewarded. I was given everything I could possibly want. A beautiful wedding, a private penthouse, and he never put his hands on me. Sometimes I wondered if I hadn't left Vegas, maybe we could have worked things out. Maybe we could have gotten to this, and Zack wouldn't even be a thought in my head.

How wonderful would it be to forget the greatest thing to ever happen to me? You can't love someone you don't remember. How blissful it must be to remain so ignorant. To not know of those haunting green eyes or those rough calloused hands. It must be joy to forget about the past and focus on the present. Forget what Craig had done and move on. Maybe I could be happy.

"Darling," A voice purred in my ear, "I was beginning to worry," Craig wrapped an arm around my shoulder as I was pulled into the VIP area on the second floor.

"Our drivers were slower than usual," I informed him and I finally brought myself to make eye contact. He smiled, bringing a hand to my chin so he could stroke my cheek with his fingertips.

"So beautiful," He cooed, "I trust Stephanie was good company during your fitting today?" He asked.

"You know I always enjoy having her around," I lied. I loathed Stephanie. Despite her attempts to act like a proper sister-in-law, she always managed to crawl under my skin.

"I also assume she informed you of our special guests," He eyed me cautiously, waiting for my reaction.

"Yes, and I don't see why we have to address them," I almost snapped, but managed to keep my temper calm for the most part.

He chuckled, "You know it would be rude. They should be treated as any other guests should. Besides," He gripped me tighter, "It doesn't bother you, does it?" He asked and my breath hitched, "Does it still pain you, Violet? After all I've done for you?"

"No," I answered, "I love you, not him. You know that."

He smiled, satisfied, "Then we should greet our guests as scheduled," He laced his fingers with mine.

"That we should."

Suddenly, I was numb.
♠ ♠ ♠
So my hand is out of the hard cast and into a removable brace. The doctor says I can type, just not excessively. I'll be updating once a week. No set day, just when I find the time. The next chapters will be longer, I promise.

In other news, I saw Avenged! I saw them at the Hollywood Palladium and it was amazing. I got to meet the Madden brothers from Good Charlotte, Papa Gates, and Michelle. I didn't talk to Michelle really. I just waved. It was so exciting though! By the way, Michelle is fucking gorgeous in person. Like she's seriously stunning its unbelievable. It's like she's not even real. Then after the show I got to meet Johnny and it was so awesome. He was so nice and sweet. Best week ever.

More importantly, thank you to all of you who commented wishing me to get better. It means a lot. I'm glad I can get back to writing now. This story is driving me crazy! Thank you guys!