Status: one shot || complete

The Locket

Young And In Love

He let the locket dangle from his fingertips, minuscule water droplets clinging to the silver surface. They glittered in the weak sunlight streaming through the clouds, the rain having just left. Her clothes clung to her body and her long caramel hair was dripping cold liquid onto her tanned back. Her almond shaped eyes stared at the silver locket, shaped into a heart with precise decorations covering the surface, the water trickling through the indentations made.Honey coloured orbs looked at her fondly as her own sapphire blues caressed the view before them. Suddenly, the dark orbs flicked up to meet the light, a mischievous smile shaping the tinted red lips.

The girl lunged forward, her arm reaching out, fingers splayed, as though to snatch the dainty piece of jewellery from his fingertips. He only moved his hand up, out of her reach. She was expecting this and had lowered her arm, now ready to tickle the exposed abdomen of her partner. He doubled over as her fingers lightly trailed over his thin shirt, her touch leaving behind goosebumps. She laughed, her voice drifting out into the silent atmosphere around them. Where her laugh was light and airy, his was deep and lingered in the air longer.

Their bare feet slapped against the concrete as she chased him, calling out to him as she did so. The locket now lay on the ground behind them, forgotten as they played their childish game. They continued to run, becoming bored quite easily. They returned to their original position, he picking up the fallen necklace as they did so.

He beckoned the girl over, his voice matching his laugh; deep and an amused tone coating it. She did so, smiling brightly at him. He let the chain once again hang from his fingertips. He turned the girl, his hands at her shoulders. When she was facing away from him, he unclasped the necklace and hung it around her neck. She fingered the softly twinkling metal, before completing her turn and attaching her lips to his cheek, leaving a tiny mark of red thanks to her lipstick. He smiled back at her and kissed her forehead, enveloping her in a hug. She pulled back first, sliding her hand down his arm before entwining their fingers.

They started walking aimlessly, having no real goal in mind, except to stay with each other. They were in the middle of nowhere; the wide road and springy green grass the only things they could see. And their beat up Toyota, of course. It had cost a few thousand dollars, and contained numerous paper coffee cups from take out stores and almost twenty CD's that were on a system through the player. Their duffel bags were shoved under the seats and the back seats of the Toyota had been dismantled, leaving ample space for them to sleep. Blankets and cushions covered the floor, with paper chains strung around with battery-operated fairy lights to give it a more homey feel. They had been on this impromptu road trip for a few weeks, and hadn't yet tired of it. They were both young, barely past the legal drinking age, and had dropped out of college.

They had pulled over to the side of the road, as soon as they had seen the start of the downpour. He had seen it as the perfect chance to surprise her with a gift. After all, wasn't a kiss in the rain a kiss most girls had at the top of their wishlist? And to follow it up with a gorgeous gift was just the cherry on top? She had seen as the perfect chance to have some fun, to pretend she was a little kid again, under her parent's sprinkler, laughing as the cold water hit her body. The only difference was she was with someone she loved and the humidity had been high for most of the day, making inside the car uncomfortable, thanks to the broken air conditioning system.

They clambered back inside the car when they deemed they were finally dry enough. They continued driving, watching as the day turned to night. There was a town a few kilometres ahead that they knew of, and there were plenty of empty shopping car parks to sleep in. Their hands were entwined yet again, resting on the console between them. She was rubbing the back of his hand lightly, smiling to herself. The heat of the day had lingered into the night, becoming more bearable due to the rain taking more of the humidity with it. He looked over at her for a second, wishing he could take a picture of her. She looked at peace, her lipstick faded and all but gone, the locket glittering at her throat peacefully, her hair being blown about in the wind that was coming in the open window. She looked over at him, squeezing his hand gently and telling him to look back at the road. He did so, and his eyes widened, and her piercing scream hit the air, echoing in his ears.

Back at the girl's home, her parents were unaware of their daughter's whereabouts, and they were sleeping peacefully. Morning came, and her father got up, switching on the television to the news. He started making his breakfast, toast with coffee and juice, while listening to the dreary news that was being broadcast this morning. He sat down at the table and looked into the lounge room, his heart skipping a beat.

"And on Route 97, two bodies were found. A young man and woman. Our team is now searching for identification," the newswoman said, her face a blank slate as her father looked at the screen, at his baby girl who was now staring at the world, her bright eyes lifeless. Her dress had dried completely, and her hands was still grasping at her lover's. Her mouth was open in the ghost of a scream, her hair tangled on the road behind her. "It seems as though there was another car involved in the crash, though none has been found," the camera zoomed out to a view of the mangled Toyota, on its side and the metal severely damaged. Her father switched the television off and his wife came out from their room, a question in her eyes as to why he was crying. She went and hugged him, trying to comfort and the dreaded words left his lips.

Back on Route 97, the other car was still travelling, unaware of what happened. Their car was pristine, without a single scratch or any other give away that they had been in an accident. Their only souvenir was a locket, hanging from the young girl's neck, with precise decorations on the heart shaped silver. It glittered menacingly in the early morning light, and the girl looked at it and cooed, her hand finding her partner's.