Puppet of the Mind

Preacher's Kid

A few months passed since my last carnage, throughout those months I've taken another four victims. And along with their souls I've gained a right foot, right arm, and left leg. The chill of winter burns my nose so I chose to spend the day inside my cozy apartment with the heater on high. I curled up next to the window and watched the snow cascade to the ground. The feeling of warmth and peace wrapped around me, but my trance was soon broken by a knock on the door. I have never been very social and I have no friends except for the ones in my mind, so to receive company at such hours was very unexpected. I slowly made my way to the door, the knocking still continued. I slowly peeked through the eye hole, it was one of those door to door preaching children. Being the devout Christian that I am I let him in. “Hello ma’am do you have time to learn about our lord and savior Jesus Christ?” I put on the biggest grin possible, “I want to hear what they have to say” “ Don’t waste your time you’re going to hell anyway, straight to hell” the voices continued to argue, which happens a lot lately, but I ignored them to speak to the boy. “I think I can make some time.” I invited him in and led him to the living room. As he prepared to preach, I made my way to the kitchen to prepare some tea and finger foods. For I am anything but a good hostess.

“Jasmine tea? I know it’s cold outside but this should warm you up from head to toe” he politely declined it and began to speak. I slowly quaffed my drink while “listening” to the boy. Maybe boy is the wrong word, perhaps I should have been saying the young man. Well as the young man spoke he grew more passionate. With each word he became more animated, so much passion flew through his veins. Something about it brought joy to me. “I for one find his speech to be quite moving” sarcastic and dramatic Lyra laughed at her own found cleverness. Her laugh rang through my ears like an echo. “What are you waiting for, now’s your chance” Emily’s voice mixed with Lyra’s laugh creating an unpleasant ringing in my head. I took a deep breath and tried to slow my thoughts. I then spoke to the passionate, preaching, young man standing before me. “I’m sorry to interrupt but I don’t believe I ever got your name. And I can’t have a stranger in my home.” The young man cleared his throat before he replied, “I am Jeremy.” I got off the couch and stepped towards Jeremy, I placed my hand on his arm looked into his eyes and smiled “Jeremy, I rather like that name, Jeremy, it has a pleasant ring to it” I slid my hand down his arm “You’ll have to excuse me Jeremy I just remembered I left something important in my room.” I voyaged to my room and found my pistol in the drawer, I slowly stroked the gun, getting a good feel of it on my fingers.

“It’s a beauty isn't it, the way it shines”, Emily’s eagerness was very obvious. “It could shoot through anything you so desire.” “Why don’t you show it to your new friend? Oh Jeremyyy!”, again Lyra’s cackle echoed through my mind. I then mumbled to myself, “Jeremy will make a great friend.” I hid the pistol under my shirt and returned to the living room. Jeremy was standing on the porch watching the snow. “You have a wonderful view here”, he exclaimed “I’m sure this apartment must cost a lot for this view here” I tiptoed behind him and slowly hugged him from behind. He was startled and jumped. “I’m sorry ma’am but that’s not what I’m here for.” He was still turned around long enough for me to take the pistol out and place it flat against his face. The fear he had radiated across the room. “Step inside Jeremy, do you have to leave so soon?” Still holding the gun to his face I lead him to the living room. “Jeremy you seem like a good guy, well at least I think, are you a good guy?” I nudged Jeremy with the butt of the gun, full of fear he stuttered “y-y-yes ma’am” “Good, good well Jeremy I’m going to need you to do exactly what I say”