Mr.Boogieman

Chapter 1

Annabell sat at the kitchen table with a box of animal crackers spilled out before her. Holding two animal crackers in her small hands she continued to moved them around,having the animals carry out some silly conversation that only made sense to the 6-year-old girl conducting it.

“Annabell, how many times have I told you not to play with your food, you’re making a mess” her mother complained walking over to the table and stuffing the crackers that were sprawled out back into the box, much to the little girls dismay.

“But mommy it’s a jungle! you’re taking all the animals away!” She cried trying to save what animals she could.

“Really Roger I don’t know why you don’t watch her while I’m getting ready” her mother went on ignoring the child’s cries and directing her attention to girls father who had been sitting on the other side of the table with his eyes glued to the paper he held out unfolded in front of him.

“Hm? Oh yes, sorry dear” he apologized halfheartedly lowering the paper and pushing his glasses up his nose with a long boney finger checking his watch.

"Oh look at that 7:15! I’m almost late for my train” he exclaimed and stood up throwing the paper aside and grabbing his briefcase and hat quickly. In a rush he kissed his wife.

“Well I’m off see you this evening. Bye squirt” he said to Annabell ruffling her hair as he passed causing her to scrunch up her nose then wave “Bye, bye!” she called as he was walking out the door of their apartment disappearing .

Her mother hurried around the kitchen and out of the kitchen mumbling something about a missing shoe as she got ready for work. Mornings always went much like this everyday unless Annabell was too sick to get out of bed or something special was going on. While her mother ran around the girl quietly continued to play with her crackers before eventually eating them one by one.

By the time she had almost eaten the last of the crackers in her box her mother was calling to the girl's nurse. The one they had hired just for the purpose of taking care of their sickly child. “Sylvia, I’m leaving now please watch Annabell closely today I think her fever is returning , do make sure she rests after she finishes eating.”

Her mother then knelled down to eye level. ” I have to go to work now Annabell. Please be good for Sylvia and do as she says” her mother said like every morning. Annabell nodded her head up and down in a childish way “Okay Mommy I will.” She said showing she understood.Her mother smiled a gentle smile and kissed the top of her head placing her palm on her forehead and frowning slightly before leaving the room to talk to the nurse and leave for work, leaving the little child.

Annabell sat for about fifteen minutes letting herself wonder about things in her head and play with her hands. This wasn't the first time she was left at the kitchen table to somewhat fend for herself in the jungles of the marble floor. She went through the motions of climbing down out of the chair. Her bare feet landed noiselessly on the floor, then traveling over to the fridge to feel for the edge of the door to pull. She was successful and recovered a juice box from the low shelf on the inside door. It fell shut behind her as she walked away. She leaned up against a cupboard and punched the straw through the aluminum hole on the top. She drank and looked at the ceiling, wondering whether or not Miss Sylvia had taken her special medicine yet.

She tossed her box in the trash binn and crooked the door open to look for Sylvia. She was on the couch, her eyes bloodshot, but she was watching a movie and eating some cookies out of a bag. It looked like she took her medicine out of one of those fancy smoke makers that Annabel always thought looked like thick trees that painted themselves different colors and liked to breathe smoke like dragons. Annabel knew that she wasn't allowed out of the kitchen unless Miss Sylvia had taken her special medicine, and she didn't know if she has able to ask, but she tried.

“Miss Sylvia?” she said rather loudly.

“Shit! Oh, Annabel, you scared me. Shit. What do you need Annabel?”

“Uh, can I go somewhere?”

“What do you mean? Like to a different planet?” Sylvia said surprised. It was painfully obvious that she had taken her medicine to Annabel, and she was giggling.

“No,” she giggled, “like to other rooms!”

“Okay, whatever Annabel. Do whatever the fuck you want, pup.” Sylvia said with a smile, because she was extremely convinced for a few seconds that Annabel was from a different planet. Sylvia took more medicine after she was done talking.

“Okay!” Annabel said and took off down a hallway going all the way to the back where her bedroom was.

She pressed her hands against the wooden door pushing it open, the hinges squeaking as it did. The first thing she did was go to the wooden toy chest that was kept at the foot of her bed. She shoved the lid open and leaned over, digging through the chest of toys her parents had bought her over the years. Her room was filled with toys,games, movie, and books, all of which her parents had bought for her giving her a new thing every week to entertain her during the hours she spent in the house. Feeling bad for the time they didn’t have to spend with their sickly daughter they tried to makeup for in gifts.

Annabel dug until she found what she had been searching for, the stuffed fox she had taken to calling Foxy. plopping herself down on the floor she began to play with foxy throwing him around and having conversations with him and what ever her little imagination could come up with until she grew tired of that.

With her attention fading from Foxy she stood up leaving the stuffed animal sprawled on the floor.She turned to a shelf of games deciding those would be much more fun, but she’d have to get miss Sylvia to play too. Now that miss Sylvia took her medicine she would be much more nice. Annabell didn't know why but miss Sylvia always acted very funny after taking her medicine.

With a board game picked out she padded out of the room and to the living room holding the box over her head her small feet lightly slapping the wood floor.

“Sylvie! I want to play a ga-. Miss Sylvie?” She said as she entered the living room pausing when she saw the nurse slumped over in a rather peculiar position the thing she used to take her medicine held limply in one hand that hung off the edge of the sofa. Sylvia sometimes took lots of naps after her medicine but never like this and it confused and scared the little girl.

She dropped the box on the floor leaving it as she went closer to her nurses. “Miss Sylvia wake up!” She said poking the lifeless body and then continuing to shake her in attempt to wake her. “Wakeupwakeupwakeup” she repeated as she kept trying to shake Sylvia using all the strength in her little body she could muster.