Sequel: Good Enough
Status: Finished: The sequel is up! Read this, then go read that! (That's how sequels work) <3

Strong Enough

Without You

Mia pulled me through the crowds of people before we stopped in front of a small club. Bella’s was lit up in bright neon pink. I’d never heard of it, and I had no idea how. I knew this city like I knew my own apartment, but this wasn’t somewhere I’d been before. It looked good enough for the start of a night out. You couldn’t go to the big places until after 10 anyway, so we usually started out somewhere low-key.

She pulled the wrist she was still clutching and we found our way inside. Grabbing the attention of the bartender, we ordered two beers and found a small booth that overlooked the club. There was a small crowd of people dancing as a live band rocked out.

While the place was small, it had a good atmosphere. You could tell the owner took care of the place. There wasn’t shit on the floor and the lighting was dim, but not dingy. It was a comfortable place for a girl’s night out.

“So, I’m thinking about getting a tattoo.” Mia was leaning back in the booth, watching a group of people nearby as they joked about something.

“What?” My eyes nearly bugged out of my head. “You hate tattoos. And you hate needles. I didn’t even know you thought about getting a tattoo.”

“I don’t hate tattoos. I never liked the idea of getting one myself.”

“So why the sudden interest now?”

“I guess I feel like it’s a good time. I’m starting my life and I want something to remember this time.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I was offered a job.” Her face held excitement, but also something else. Worry, maybe?

“That’s great!” I was genuinely excited for her. “What job? Give me the details.”

“It’s a photography job for a fashion magazine. They called me last week about an interview.” Her face fell slightly. “But, it’s not in Vegas.”

“Oh? Where is it?” I still didn’t understand the worry outlined on her face.

“It’s based out of LA.” Now I understood. “I had an interview on Monday when you were with your dad. I guess they liked me, because they called again today during the shoot and offered me the job. I start next month”

“This is a big deal, Mia.” I smiled at her. “We’ll figure something out, alright?”

Somewhere beyond our booth, the band announced a break and the room filled with chatter. I sat looking at Mia, thinking about what a new job for her meant. It meant she was leaving Vegas. I don’t know what I expected. I knew we weren’t going to stay here forever. But, I wasn’t expecting it to happen this soon.

“You know what? Tonight just became a celebration. I’m getting us champagne.” I stood up and made my way to the bar. The bartender brought me two glasses of bubbling champagne. As I made my way back to the table, a voice caught me off guard and I nearly spilled the liquid all over a couple walking by me.

“Good evening. I’m not on the program tonight, but a friend called in a favor for me.” I turned to the stage where the band once played and found a single guy standing with a guitar speaking into a microphone. Bryden’s eyes found mine across the room where I stood frozen, two glasses in my hands. “There’s a girl I’ve known for a very long time here tonight. I fucked up pretty bad five years back, and I almost let her walk away from me again. She told me once that she always wanted to have a song dedicated to her on the radio. It isn’t the radio, Jacqui, but it’s the best I can do.”

He backed away from the microphone and his fingers began moving across the neck of the guitar. A gentle acoustic melody rang through the air around me. His bowed head lifted as he began to sing, looking right at me.

“If I had my way, I’d spend every day right by your side. And, if I could stop time, believe me I’d try for you and I. And each moment you’re gone is a moment too long in my life. So stay right here, right now.

“’Cause without you I’m a disaster (the moment you go), and you’re my ever after. (Just thought you should know.) ‘Cause I need to know your answer. (Just say you’ll stay with me). I want you to say you’re gonna stay with me. (Just say you’ll stay with me). I die every day that you’re away from me.”

My eyes left Bryden and found Mia, who was smiling softly at me. I managed to put the glasses down, knowing I would drop them if I held them any longer and returned my gaze to Bryden. Was this really happening?

“If the world ceased to spin, you could start it again with just one smile. If the seas turn to sand with the wave of your hand it would rain for miles. But the thought of you gone, makes everything wrong in my life. So stay right here, right now.

“’Cause without you I’m a disaster (the moment you go), and you’re my ever after. (Just thought you should know.) ‘Cause I need to know your answer. (Just say you’ll stay with me). I want you to say you’re gonna stay with me. (Just say you’ll stay with me). I die every day that you’re away from me.”

My feet moved without me and I found myself making my way through the captivated crowd watching Bryden. My eyes locked to his, I stood mere feet from him.

“My heart breaks with every beat, I can’t explain what you do to me. So just say you’ll promise me. Please, take me if you ever leave. But the thought of you gone, makes everything wrong in my life. So stay right here, right now.

“’Cause without you I’m a disaster (the moment you go), and you’re my ever after. (Just thought you should know.) ‘Cause I need to know your answer. (Just say you’ll stay with me). I want you to say you’re gonna stay with me. (Just say you’ll stay with me). I die every day that you’re away from me.”

There were tears in my eyes. He was really here. He was standing in front of me. He didn’t give up this time.

“So just say you’ll promise me. Please, take me if you ever leave. My heart breaks with every beat. I die every day that you’re away from me.”

The music ended, and silence met my ears. He took the guitar from his shoulder and placed it on a stand before jumping off the stage and moving toward me. His movements were tentative, as if I could run at any second.

I stared at him, taking in what he’d done—what he’d sung. He wanted to be with me. He didn’t just want forgiveness. He wanted me.

“So, what do you say?” His voice was soft, his eyes holding hope and worry as he waited for me to respond to him.

“You came to Vegas to do this,” I motioned around the room. “For me?”

“Of course. You’re the best thing that ever happened to me. I need to have you in my life. Please, say you’ll let me try one more time.”

The tears fell harder as I looked at his face, sincerity radiating from him. Instead of answering him, my hands moved to his face. I looked into his eyes and let a smile crack before nodding.

His smile exploded on his face and his arms wound around my torso, picking me up and spinning me around. The forgotten multitude around us broke into applause. My arms around his neck, I giggled. It was like a scene from a movie.

When he put me down, he hesitated only a second before pulling me to him and placing a kiss to my lips. It was like our lips were made for each other. They fit perfectly together. While simple and sweet, that kiss was the most important thing to happen to me in years.

The smile didn’t move from my face as he pulled back. I was lost in him, everyone around me once again forgotten. Until I heard a throat clear behind me.

“About goddamn time.” Mia had her arms crossed in front of her, hip popped as she smirked at me. “You know, you owe me big.”

“Well, how about I give you the all clear to date Tommy and we’ll call it even?”

“Fuck no, I’m talking steak dinner and a massage.”

I shook my head and agreed, pulling her into a hug. There was a reason this girl was my best friend.

“By the way,” Mia, still holding me, looked at Bryden. “If you fuck up again, I don’t think even my master planning skill can help. Also, if you break her heart, I’ll break your dick.”

Bryden smiled down at the redhead in front of him.

“I promise.” He leaned in to take me into his arms again, but I caught the subtle hand that moved to protect his groin from my friend.

Things weren’t going to be perfect right away. I still had trust issues I’d have to work out, but I had the boy I’d lost back in my arms. He was mine. I was never letting him go again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeeeeeeee!!!
What did you think?
Sorry it's out so late, I was with friends I hadn't seen in a while.
I love you ladies! Thanks for all that have commented!
Also, I'm deciding if I'm going to do a sequel. I'm leaning towards yes, but I have to come up with a really good idea. So, keep your eyes peeled.
~Tracicita~