Status: Please let me know what you think of the story. :)

Roommates

On The Low

Oh my god. Not again!

I gritted my teeth as I stood outside the two-bedroom apartment I share with a roommate, a roommate whom I, in these past few months never learned to like at all.

She wasn’t mean or anything, actually, she’s pleasant at times.

That time is when she’s not bringing a guy home and share’s her bed with him. And when they are not vocalizing their pleasure for the world to hear on whatever they are doing.

Moans sounded through the thin walls and doors of our apartment; screams, groans and then again moans which sent fire of irritation to my veins. She’s always doing this. She treats the apartment we share as a motel, bringing every guy she meets on the street.

If I didn’t know better, I would say she’s a prostitute the way she’s having sex with every single guy that looks her way.

I clenched my fist so tight that my clipped nails dug into the palm of my hand. I took a deep breath to calm myself and reluctantly twisted the knob open, only to be treated on a show that I would never, ever sanely watch.

All the irritation, anger and rage that I have been swallowing the past three months I have been living with her came out, threatening to bring the apartment down.

This girl doesn’t know the meaning of the word respect. I bet she doesn’t even know what that word is.

I stared in shock in the scene in front of me; it was like watching porn in high-definition. My roommate and the guy who’s humping her like a dog was too busy with their lust that they didn’t notice me. And I have had enough.

No way that I am going to live with this for another second in my life. The only thing that made me swallow and endured everything is that this is the only apartment I can afford, and that is when I split the rent with someone.

I am now faced with a choice: live my every single day in a house resembling a porn set, or become homeless.

I’d choose homeless.

Really, I know that there is no way that I would be able to throw her out of the apartment and there is no way I could afford it all alone. So the idea of sleeping in a shelter for the homeless is far more plausible than this.

I glared at the sweat covered back of the man humping my roommate roommate for a moment before stomping to my room, gathering all my things and throwing it in my bag. After making sure that I have everything I owned, I went to the kitchen, trying my hardest not to look on the show in the living room.

I grabbed another bag and filled it with all the food I found inside the fridge. I took everything edible and required no cooking. I know she will be pissed, but this is very little payment on all the things she had done to disrespect me.

After getting all the food, I thrashed her room then took all my luggage and food outside my apartment. But before I left for good, I went to the tiny space we call the bathroom and filled a bucket full of ice cold water. I dumped it to her and the guy, shocking the hell out of them.

Curses that will make a nun’s ear bleed were uttered and I ran as fast as I can, getting the hell out of there.

Despite the future of having no place to sleep, I still managed to smile and laugh outside, earning wary glances from other people.

I have never, ever felt this good and satisfied for a while.

--

I shouted goodbye to my teammates on my way out of the locker room and walked quickly to my car. Walking through the hallway, I was still thinking of whether going to the party Brandon is throwing. I'm a bit tired from skating and watching tapes, but having a good time and unwinding in a party doesn't sound so bad.

As I made my way out the parking lot, my phone started ringing and I grabbed it, my eyes not leaving the road.

“Where are you bro?” Freddy shouted over the thumping noise in the background. Looks like the party has already started.

“I’m on my way.” I answered, deciding right then. “Well hurry then. The boys are waiting and hell; Tanya's here waiting impatiently for you.”

“I already am.” Hearing Tanya’s name, my foot unconsciously pressed harder to the gas. Looks like I will be having fun tonight.

--

The silver lining in my current situation is that I am starting my internship in one of the biggest event’s organizer in the city tomorrow, and the pay is not that bad. It would actually help me in paying for food and some decent clothes.

But the sad thing is it is never going to be enough for me to get myself a decent place to stay, considering the steep rent for apartments in the one of the expensive cities to live in the US.

I sat at the table facing the streets and leaned my face on my hands, sighing whenever I think about how pathetic my life is being. So much for promises and brave face I have shown my mom on her deathbed. I promised my mom that I would be alright after she’s gone, that I would be able to support myself was uttered so that she could go in peace.

It was said also because I was trying to be optimistic, the trait my mother has encouraged me to foster and hold onto.

Well, when everything is falling apart, all one could do is hope that things are going to get better.

Though none of that is actually happening half a year after my mom has died. My life is losing all hope, and the light is getting dimmer. Should I write a book? My life can be a good plot for a bestseller, can it?

I sighed and closed my eyes and willed my mind to focus on the important matters I am facing right now.

My situation may not be as bad as it sounds considering I'll be starting a paid internship tomorrow, but when you have no home, no family and no money, it’s hard to remain optimistic and hopeful. It takes so much energy that one would opt to dwell on the negative and take the road to self-pity.

Which I cannot really afford right now.

I may not have a place to sleep tonight, but things will do get better. They will get better.

I sat inside the café for a while, allowing myself to splurge for a cup of coffee and bagel while contemplating my options. This is going to put another hole to my pocket but hey, I need a little comfort. All the comfort I could afford actually. And besides, I’ve got a bag full of groceries, so I’m covered for a while.

I was looking absentmindedly outside the window, people-watching and making up stories on what they do and the kind of life they are living when a group of people came into my view, obviously having fun and drunk.

They were laughing hard, though I cannot hear through the glass. I suddenly felt a pang of sadness as I watched them. The clothes they wear are obviously branded and of high quality, and the way they were having fun showed that they are not carrying burdens around their shoulders.

Heck, the only problems they are probably facing are what to wear for the next party or when they could go to Bahamas and lie down on the beach. What sucks is that aside from being obviously wealthy, they are also a bunch of good-looking people too.

Life is unfair, huh. And do they even need to stop right in front of the café where I was? It was like fate or the gods are rubbing salt to my wound.

--
I was sated. I was tired with the practice plus the partying, but nonetheless, I had fun. The party is still on full swing, but I and the boys decided to leave early and lounge in my penthouse. Tanya decided to tag along to my pleasure; I'm tired, but I won’t be refusing some warm and even a bit sweaty company for the night.

Everyone was laughing about some mischief on of the boys has gotten himself into. Tanya was clinging to me, drunk and giggling like crazy; her usual behavior when drunk. If not for the boobs and the rear she’s sporting, and her willingness to share my bed at one call, I would have ditched her.

What my life is turning to.

Sure, I’m a professional hockey player, a Stanley Cup champion. I am a good player, I have the looks, the money and I am young that girls are throwing their self to my way. I can have everything that I want, but the fun only stays for a while.

It fades and the interest is starting to wear thin and makes me realize that despite having all, my life is actually empty.

What a time to get all reflective about my life.

I sighed and looked at my roommate and best friend, Freddy. In a way, I envy him. He has what I have too: looks, money, talented and a gentleman. He’s from a family with more money they could ever spend but he does not go around and sleep with every girl that stands in his way.

He is the very definition of a gentleman.

He was looking across the street, lost in own thought. I followed his line of vision and saw that he was looking to a girl sitting inside a café, bundled with thick scarf, knitted cap and coat making it difficult to see her face.

Beside the stool she’s sitting were some bags. It made me assume that she’s going to need a place to stay and Freddy, emphatic and being attuned to everything around him, knows it well too. She doesn’t look like a homeless person, but her body language and all those bags suggested so.

“You can’t help everyone.” I said to my friend and he looked back at me and gave a sad smile.

“I know.” Freddy answered, but his eyes showed that he wish he could.

--

I went to some homeless shelters, trying to find a place to stay. Luckily, one of the homeless shelters offered me a place to stay. As I was heading to the room assigned to me, I promised myself to work hard until I could afford to pay for an apartment. Though that seems to be far away being an intern.

I locked the door and looked around the dark tiny space; the room has one casement window, a single bed with grey blanket with a single pillow on it and a side table.

I lay on the bed thinking about my life and drifted to sleep.

--

I dressed myself with the most expensive clothes I’ve owned to look far from being homeless and to leave a nice impression to my boss and co-workers. I need all the confidence I can get for my first day at work. I pray that everyone in my new workplace be kind.

My new workplace is warm and comfortable. It is a very well-known company which focuses on marketing and events organizing. I have always believed and readied myself to sleepless and nights and stress due to work. I know how hectic and fast-paced everything can be, stressful too, but it doesn’t show.

People actually looked like they were comfortable and there was no urgency in the air at all.

And everyone looked kind in my department too; they offered me smiles as I walked around the whole floor that housed our department as I was being introduced by my immediate supervisor. She was in her 40’s, dressed sharply with black pencil skirt, white blouse and a blazer with black heeled shoes.

Her name is Carmen, and she’s oozing with warmth and affection, making me feel at ease.

See, things were going badly yesterday, but now, it’s actually getting better.

I smiled to myself, feeling happy on how things are getting better.

“Well, so you have met everyone in our department, and you have been briefed on the task you will be working on.” Carmen led me back to her office and gave me a list of things to do. She gave me a moment to read it and asked me if I can do it.

It’s not anything hard I could do. All I need is to confirm about details to some of the events we are organizing, follow-ups on something and find some issues and report back. I smiled and nodded at her.

“Good, well then I’ll turn you over to someone whom you can ask questions and would help you around and watch you until you can be on your own.” It was said on a gentle manner but I heard the warning; be good and work hard, or else.

“Oh there he is. Freddy, come in.” A guy way taller than me entered a room with a huge and polite smile looked at Carmen and then back at me. His presence brought comfort; he had this gentle eyes and expression and a kind smile.

“Freddy, this is Carlin, she’s the new intern I have told you. You won’t mind taking care of her for a while, will you?” Freddy smiled at me and extended his hand. I subtly wiped my hand on my skirt and held his for a handshake. “Not at all. It’s my pleasure to help someone.”

Who knew that that was the day when things got better and better for me?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi! This is the very first time I am writing a fan fiction with a Hockey player on it.

I hope I did not do that bad, and well, please tell me what you think of the first chapter.

And was it too long?

Thank you for taking your time on reading it.

:)