‹ Prequel: She Will Be Loved
Status: The Sequel is Here!

Never Truly Loved

No Matter What

His body practically flew across the clearing, his large, muscular arms wrapping themselves around her form before anyone else could even get close to her and bringing her into his torso, hugging her tightly. The contact between them, the body heat that was emitted from her let him know that this wasn't just some type of hallucination or fantasy, but reality. This was actually happening. She was finally back home.

And they were finally together again.

“Quinn,” he breathed out her name softly into her brown tresses, squeezing her in his hold tighter and tighter against him. The way he said her name, so quiet, yet so full of emotion, made her shudder with delight. “Quinn, you're back. You're finally back. What were you thinking? Where'd you go?”

A million questions were buzzing throughout his mind, all of them seeming to pass him by at a million miles a minute, but seeing him so vivacious brought a smile to her features, her blue eyes gleaming with love like they always did. “Yes, I'm back, Jake.”

As her voice left her lips, goosebumps erupted upon his skin. He was always so worried that he may never get to hear it again – her angelic tone of voice, and being able to do so now was a blessing. As he continued to hold her, he quickly planted a kiss upon her plump lips, only to be interrupted by a throat clearing.

Quinn pulled away first, knowing that her family was watching their romantic reunion in no doubt what was an awkward position. She blushed lightly when she saw all of them gazing at her with smiles. She knew that they probably weren't smiling because Jacob and her were with one another again, but rather they were just glad to have her back home. Either way, she was happy to see them in good spirits.

Edward was the one who broke them up. “Quinn, you've come back home.” He smiled, walking up to his sister and being the next to embrace her.

“I'm home,” she nodded, hugging him back just as eagerly.

One by one, the Cullen family approached her, every single one of them greeting the daughter and sister with tight hugs and warm words of welcome. They were all pleased to see that she was looking well, but they knew that that wasn't the case as she was asking for their help. In the back of their minds, they were all worrying and wondering what could possibly be wrong.

“Shall we all head inside?” Carlisle suggested.

Quinn nodded her head and with that, the family and Jacob entered the household quietly, Jacob grasping onto Quinn's hand like it was his lifeline. And for all he knew, it was. Their time apart was horrid, lonely, and devastating. It felt as if he were living a nightmare, constantly without her, not knowing how she was, if she was happy or if she was crying. He thought that if he let go of her now, she could disappear just as quickly and not return. Jacob wasn't sure if he would be able to take it a second time.

Esme, who was sporting the biggest grin she had ever worn, brought a glass of water for her daughter, setting it down with care upon the coffee table and watching her drink it steadily. Quinn could feel the eyes of everyone in the room on her, and it was terribly unnerving. Once she had cautiously placed the glass back down, the questions could no longer be held back.

“Where were you?” Jacob started off.

She turned her head to face him while giving her answer. “New York; Buffalo to be more exact.”

“What were you doing there?” Jasper questioned next.

“Just living. I had a job and was just sleeping in a one bedroom apartment.”

“How were you able to afford it? Apartments aren't exactly cheap – especially ones in New York.” Rosalie looked at her with curiosity, genuinely interested to know how it was possible.

Quinn smiled and looked towards her father. “Carlisle was helping me.” All heads turned to the blond haired man for a second.

“He knew where you were?” Edward questioned.

“You knew and you didn't tell anyone?” Jacob glared.

“Jacob, Edward, please.” Quinn looked at them both expectantly. Edward calmed down without a problem, though Jacob was upset that the leech knew where she was and didn't say anything about it. Only when he felt Quinn's soothing touch as her fingers massaged his palm in a circular motion did he begin to regain his composure. “He knew, but I asked him not to tell.”

“Why?” Edward questioned.

“Because I knew that if either one of you found out you'd probably hop on the next flight over.” She chuckled. “And don't tell me I'm wrong because I know I'm right.”

“Carlisle, how did you know where she was?” Esme questioned.

“I called her.”

“Why did you answer his phone calls but not mine?” Jacob stared at her accusingly, hurt to hear that she had willingly decided to not answer his relentless phone calls and texts that would arrive at all hours of the day.

Quinn continued to soothe him by massaging his hand as she replied. “I knew that what I did was reckless and stupid, but since he's my father, I thought I should let him know what I was doing.”

“When she answered, she told me where she was. I was astounded that she was on the other side of the country, and incredibly terrified, too. I didn't want anything to happen to her.” Carlisle began. “I asked her to allow me to meet with her and she did.”

A look of realization came upon Emmett. “So for that medical convention you said was in Buffalo...?”

Carlisle nodded with a small smile. “Yes, I was actually going to meet Quinn. We talked and I persuaded her to allow me to pay for her living expenses. We both knew that she wouldn't be able to find decent housing and so I wanted to continue to provide for her. I wanted to make sure that she would be safe, that she would have a roof over her head.”

“Quinn,” Jacob began. “What did you mean by saying that you're in trouble?”

The mood darkened almost immediately, Quinn's stomach plummeting to the bottom of her feet as a feeling of unease washed over her. She had been hoping to avoid this topic for at least a little while longer, not wanting to be reminded of the possible danger that would come for her, but she knew it was best to get it over with.

Then a thought hit her. Jacob doesn't know about vampires. She remembered. How was she going to explain this without exposing her family's secret? She had to think of something quick.

“I'll tell you after I use the bathroom.” She smiled nervously before excusing herself and climbing the flight of stairs to the second floor, leaving the Cullens and Jacob to themselves.

Jacob, who was still taking this all in, looked over at Edward. “You never noticed anything?”

The vampire shook his head in response. “No. Carlisle never thought about it while around us and since I never knew what was going on, I never bothered looking through his thoughts.”

“It was hard to keep meeting her off my mind, I assure you.” Carlisle chuckled.

Jacob turned to Alice next. “And you never saw anything?”

“I can't control what I do and don't see.” She shrugged.

Jacob leaned back into the sofa. He wasn't happy that he had been out of the loop, unaware of where she was and how she was doing, but finding out that she had been well taken care of during the past few months was reassuring.

Quinn, who was pacing back in forth in the bathroom, was beating herself up. You just had to go and say that you're in trouble out in the open, didn't you? Why can't you ever plan ahead? Why can't you keep your mouth shut?

Could she ask for Jacob to leave the room? Yes. Would she? No. After missing him for so long, she didn't want to even be in separate rooms now that she was back. She wanted to cling onto him for as long as humanly possible. She wanted to be in that warm embrace of his for hours on end, blissfully enjoying his company like she had been dying to while away.

“Crap,” she sighed out softly, not knowing what else to do.

Jacob walked up the stairs with haste after hearing her gentle murmur, knocking upon the door and startling her. “You alright in there, Quinn?”

“Yes, Jake, all good.” She shook her head to bring herself to her senses and knew she wouldn't be able to hide in there forever.

Unlocking the door, she pushed it open and was met by Jacob's warm smile that instantly brought one of her own to her lips. She took his hand and then walked back downstairs, still trying to think of what to say.

“Jake,” she whispered, pulling him back lightly.

He whipped his head around and looked at her with concern, wondering if anything were wrong. “Yeah?”

“Let's go,” she mouthed out silently.

His brow furrowed together, not sure if he had read her lips right, though a small smirk was creeping its way upon his face. “What?” He mouthed back.

“Let's go,” she repeated, nodding towards the front door that could barely be seen from the stairs.

“You sure?” He mouthed.

She nodded her head and motioned for them to resume their way back towards the living room where the others waited. Jacob squeezed her hand and she squeezed his back. As they walked into the room where the rest of her family sat, she smiled at them and cleared her throat.

“Would it be alright if I went out with Jacob for a bit? I just... I want to see the area again. I've missed it.”

They all looked at one another before the man of the house nodded his head and gave her a reassuring smile. “Of course you can, Quinn. Come back at a decent time. We'll have your room ready and some dinner made for the both of you when you come back.”

“Any requests, honey?” Esme asked, reminding Quinn of how it used to be before she left.

Smiling, the brunette shook her head. “Surprise me.”

Esme grinned and acknowledged her response with a nod, giving her a quick hug and kiss upon the cheek before she went to the kitchen to see what they had. Her siblings came up to her and told her to be careful, that they'd be waiting for her to come back, and that if Jacob tried anything it'd be the end of him. Edward was the last to approach and Quinn looked at him expectantly.

“Going to lecture me about how I shouldn't be going with Jacob?”

Edward looked to the tanned boy, giving him a quick look over before turning back to his sister. “Not this time. Just be careful.”

Hearing his reply caused Quinn to leap forward and engulf him in the best bone-crushing hug she could give. “Does this mean you approve?”

“Not in the slightest,” She pulled away and gave a joking glare. Jacob, who didn't miss his reply, let out a low growl of annoyance. “But if you want to, we can call it a start.”

Nodding her head, she hugged him once again before walking towards the door where Carlisle was waiting to see them off at. “Thank you, Carlisle, for taking care of me.” Quinn smiled gratefully at her father, and he smiled back in response.

“You're my family, our family. We'd do anything for you.”

They embraced one final time and then it was just Quinn and Jacob as they walked to her car. She tossed him her set of keys, walking towards the passenger seat. “You drive. I'm tired of it.” She chuckled.

“Anywhere you want to go?”

“As long as I'm with you, I could care less.”

He nodded his head and unlocked the car, playing with her as he quickly locked it again with the remote as she went to open the door. They laughed and when they were both buckled in, Jacob smoothly pulled out onto the open road, his hand grasping hers with a firm grip.

He didn't know what kind of trouble she was in, but he knew he'd do everything in his power to make sure that she would be safe and that nothing would bring them apart.

Jacob was going to keep her alive, happy, and loved – no matter what.
♠ ♠ ♠
Quinn.
What Quinn is wearing and also has a picture of Jacob/Taylor.

Since the last chapter sucked and was so short, I decided to get this one out rather fast. It's definitely longer than the last one, but it's still pretty fillerish. Next chapter will be much longer at a little more than seven pages (this one was five) with 3,229 words.

And the next chapter is ALL Jacob and Quinn so look forward to it.

Please comment, recommend, and subscribe! Thank you!