Status: On going

Disenchanted

Chapter Three

It had been a week since Danny had heard anything from Ben and with each day that passed he grew more worried. Ben and Danny always kept in touch, they were best friends, more than that actually, they had a special connection, they were the only people in the world that actually understood each other. The rest of the band didn’t seem that worried, finding excuses for the older man and told the singer not to worry because he would show up before they had to go on tour. Yet that was not Danny’s main concern, he could feel like something was wrong, but he didn’t voice his feeling to the other members because he knew that even for the three other men that would sound a bit weird and even suspicious so he let the days pass.
Danny spent most of his days either sitting in his couch either working on lyrics or watching trash TV, usually wondering if he seemed that annoying once he was under any type of influence. He often thought about this with a glass of liquor in his hands.
Danny started to wonder if Ben was purposely ignoring him. After the last talked they had, shared anything was possible, well the last real conversation at least. Danny tried his best not to let his mind wonder back to the memories of the weeks before, but no amount of alcohol could stop his brain from torturing him.
He remembered finally being alone with Ben, as much as he had anticipated that moment, facing the guitarist in front of him, he couldn’t help but want to flee and forget the idea of telling his best friend the truth.
“What did you want to talk about?” Ben simply asked, as if he couldn’t see the state of nervous wreck in which the younger man was.
“I need to tell you something, just promise me you’ll hear me out, and please don’t jump into conclusions ok?”
“You’re not doing drugs again, are you?”
Of course that would be the first thing to jump into his mind, after everything they had suffered through, Ben always half expected Danny to relapse.
“No, it’s just…” The man paused as he searched for the simplest and lest chocking way of admitting the truth “Ben, I love you!” Danny waited for Ben to react. He waited for the man that possessed his heart to step back, yell at him, anything but the response he actually got.
Ben almost laughed out of relief.
“I love you too, you’re my best friend Danny, my terror twin, remember?” He responded with a cheeky smile.
Whatever light and hope had flooded Danny’s eyes once he heard the word love had now flown away.
“That’s not what I meant… I love you, romantically.” Danny elaborated.
Finally Ben’s response became what Danny expected. He just stood there, shocked and unsure of what he had heard, praying, almost, that he had misunderstood. But not, Danny had just confessed his love for him and now there was no way out. Ben’s reaction could make or break the band, and that was what scared the both of them the most.
Danny waited, impatiently, for the other man to actually respond, but Ben didn’t want to, he just wanted to run out of the room and pretend that moment had never happened.
“Danny, mate, you know I don’t feel that way about you, and I’m sorry if I lead you on, but you’re my friend, my best friend, but nothing more.”