Status: On going

Disenchanted

Chapter Four

Days had gone by since Ben had last seen the sunlight, always locked in that house Ana and him now shared as a lawfully wedded couple.
Ana had showed herself to be quite nice, most of the time. She would remind the young guitarist of a proper 50s house wife. The young woman always wore knee length dresses and heels, even when she was cooking. She would sing happily while she cleaned around the house and she always seemed to have the perfect hair and red lipstick. There was a part of Ben that actually liked the way she treated him, like he was her king and knight in shining armor. But that was only a small, irrational part of him that liked to be adored. His rational brain and survival instinct told him that she was not stable, and if he wanted to live he would have to flee as soon as he could, otherwise she might ending up killing him in his sleep.
Besides sharing the house, if that was in fact a house, the two of them shared a bed. At first Ben had tried for it not to happen, the first day she appeared in her night gown and laid under the covers he had tried to convince her that it wasn’t a good idea, yet she insisted that it was perfectly fine because they were married and married people slept in the same bed. To which Ben wanted to reply that they weren’t married, were never married and never would be married. The woman in front of him started to become more distressed, rage taking over her. Ben tried to grab his pillow in a final attempt to go sleep in the couch, but was stopped as she grabbed his pulse with such strength that it felt like she was trying to break his bones, her melodic voice suddenly changed into a guttural scream, her veins started to appear through her pale skin, it was like a switch had gone inside of her. Just the way she was looking at him made Ben drop the pillow and her hand loosened around his wrist, a smile returning to her pink lips.
That was when Ben understood that he was a prisoner in this woman’s deranged perception of reality and if that notion of a perfect reality was altered he would be the one to pay with his life and so Ben decided to play nice, at least while she was present so that he would be able to try and escape.
The next day he woke up to the soft sound of Frank Sinatra playing in the living room and the smell of fresh coffee filled the air. He slowly got up and put on some clothes. When he walked out of the bed room he found the kitchen table filled with warm pancakes, toasty bacon and a cup of steaming coffee. Where all that food was coming from was a complete mystery to him, but he couldn’t complain when his stomach was already screaming for the food that filled the table. On the other side of the table was Ana in a thigh red dress, her wavy hair tied in a bun and her lips adorned with an innocent smile.
“Good morning darling. I was just going to wake you up.” She said without her smile ever living her red lips “I made you breakfast. I’m sorry I can’t stay and eat with you, but Mr. Simon wants me to in early, you understand.” she walked up to Ben, her steps short as her heels clicked on the linoleum floor. She positioned herself on her toes and planted a small kiss on Ben’s cheek before leaving the house. Ben was left there alone, in the middle of the living room, stunned by the scene that he had just experienced.
After a few seconds his brain started to scheme a way out. It was the first time in a few days that he was alone and now there was more to explore, maybe there was somewhere out. The first option was quite obvious, the door. He tried to open it, but it was locked.
“How the fuck did she do that?!”
After trying a few more times, each time with an added roughness Ben decided to break the door down. At first he used his shoulder, but he soon learned that metal doors hurt like hell and decided to try and pick the locket, but luck was not on his side. By the time he gave up on the door the food was already cold, but he was too hungry to pass and eat it slowly, enjoying every second. Food seemed to be a rare event in that house, like a mythological creature almost. What he didn’t know was that Ana was doing this on propose, by reducing the food he ate she reduced his energy and his capacity to rebel against her, food was her most powerful weapon.