Status: My very first Outsiders fanfic, hope you guys like ^^

The Fox and the Flower

Home Sweet Home



"Hey, Aunt Grace." I say, my voice sounding mechanic and monotone-like.

My heart's hammering in my chest and I take in a sharp breath of cold air. Her expression doesn't make me feel any better neither, and I start rubbing my arm; unsure what to do with myself. Is she mad? Does she want to ship me back to Texas? The very thought sends a spike through my heart as I start to think of everything I'll lose and she hasn't even spoken yet.

"Grace!" My uncles voice rings out loud and clear from inside the house "Is that boy here yet!"

Suddenly it's like she awakens from some kind of daydream and her eyes widen as she looks to me, then the house.

"Charlotte, hide around the corner, now. And you," she turns to Ponyboy "don't you say a word, understand? Go! Hurry!" Her voice is low, but stern and serious.

For a minute I just stand there, not quite sure how to feel about this. Yeah, I'm grateful my aunt isn't mad at me, or so she seems. But I'm more afraid of my uncle than I am her. She makes quick hand gestures to emphasize that I need move fast and I will myself to move into the shadows of the house. Once I'm hidden, I find an angle that lets me see but not be seen. I see Pony just kind of standing there, not sure what to do with himself either, as my uncle steps out on the front porch. My hands curl into fist on their own by my sides as I pray with every fiber of my being that he doesn't look this way.

"There you are. You're late." My uncle says flatly, taking a quick swig from the flask in his hand.

My nose wrinkles at the sight. Really? This early in the mornin'? Isn't it like six somethin' AM?

"Sorry, Sir. Won't happen again." Pony says, his voice taking on a monotone like quality.

"Damn right it won't. Greaser like you is lucky ya' even get paid."

From here I can see Pony's jaw tighten at that quip and for a second I think he's about to do something stupid, but he surprisingly keeps his cool. His face a neutral expression as he just slightly nods.

"Good, now let's get. You've got school still. Ya do still go to school, don't ya'?"

That was pushing it. It crosses my mind to step around this corner and punch the man in the face, family or not. He only married my mom's sister any way, not like he's blood. But I stay put. Pony just mumbles another 'yes sir', but this time I can hear how much it pains him to not say something else. He doesn't have to take this. He shouldn't have to take this. Are they hurting for money or somethin'? Pony and my uncle go on their way and only when they are a speck against the sun does my aunt come around the corner.

"I've got some words for you young lady. But that can wait, you've got school. I've just got one question." She says, her voice fast and to the point.

"Like what?" I ask cautiously.

"You and that boy didn't do nothin' stupid last night, did you? 'Cause I'm not raisin' no babies."

My face reddens as the ever so slightest picture pops into my head and I'm quick to push it away.

"No! No, no, no... We didn't do anythin'! He just brought me back!" I assure her, shaking my head furiously. Like if I shake my head hard enough it'll make me forget what I just pictured. Not to say that Pony's a bad looking guy or anythin'. I mean, it wouldn't be a bad thing if- Stop right there! Don't you dare finish that thought Charlotte Anne Hale! Looking at my aunt I can see the relief plain on her face as she pulls me into a tight hug.

"Thank God. Now come on in. You go get ready and I'll make ya' some breakfast."

***


I got ready for school in time before my uncle came back and rode the bus with Shirley. The whole ride she was still begging me for the details on the 'jacket story', which I gave easily. 'Course, at my expense, she gave me so much crap about it. Even now, on our way to English, she won't shut up. If she gets such a kick out of that story, there's definitely no way I'm telling her about this morning.

"You've sure been wearin' that jacket a lot." Shirley quips, grinning like an idiot.

"Shut up already." I groan, stepping into the classroom.

"It smells like him don't it? That's it isn't it?! You like the way he smells!"

I sigh and roll my eyes. Even though it's true, I won't admit it. Not that easily.

"Can you be any louder?" I say, slapping her lightly on the arm as we sit down.

She lets out a laugh, clearly satisfied with herself. For awhile I just sit there and act like I'm completely engulfed in writing something in my notebook. Only when I see Shirley busy herself with tormenting the Soc in front of her do I look around the room. Pony's sitting in the same seat as yesterday, his head down as he flips through some book in his lap. From the bit of the title that I can see are faded letters that read 'Gone wi' and the rest are covered by his hand.

"Alright, everyone take a seat. Let's get through this partner thing quick shall we?" Mr. Dane says, closing the door behind him and scanning through his clipboard.

"When I call your names go stand by your partner and find seats together. You'll be seated next to one another until the report is over. Now, Carl Johnson and Diana May. Tom De..." Mr. Dane carries on listing names and I faze them out until I hear the ones I recognize.

"Shirley Bates and Michelle Thompson."

I see the look of horror on Shirley's face as she stares at the Soc she was glaring at the other day. My heart sinks. There goes one. Soon after a couple more names:

"Frank Gage and Ponyboy Curtis."

There goes the other. I look around the room, paranoid now, wondering which stuffy Soc he was gonna stick me with. The pickin's aren't lookin' all that good. There's a jock Soc over in the corner laughing at something stupid his buddies did. A prissy Soc who's been separated from her groupies. Then there's a massive richie rich Soc playing with one of his rings and I don't think I have it in me to describe the rest. It just makes me realize that much more how pitiful my situation is.

"Charlotte Hale and Sam Benton."

My eyes narrow in on one of the Socs sitting front row. Sam gets out of his chair 'bout the same time I do and we march over where everyone else stood with their partners. He flashes a cocky smile my way and I scoff. From what I knew 'bout Sam was that his parents were really rich, he got good grades, and that he was on the football team. Typical Soc in my opinion. But it wasn't him being a mega Soc that put me off about him. It was what Shirley told me yesterday in between class.

"Who's that?" I said, seeing a boy giving the other Greaser girls in particular a hard time. When I say 'a hard time', I mean borderline harassment.

"Oh, that's Sam. You ever end up alone with him, you find me or someone safe fast." Shirley says, lighting a cigarette.

I knew when she said 'someone safe' she meant other Greasers, but not the rest.

"Whaddya mean?" I asked, shifting my backpack on my shoulder.

"Dudes a pervert," She lets out a puff of smoke "and he's got a thing for Greaser girls especially, if ya' know what I mean."


Now I have to work on this report with this Greaser girl pervert... brilliant. I cast a pleading glance at Shirley and she mouths something to me from the other end of the wall, but I can't tell what she's saying. She repeats it and I read it loud and clear.

'Be careful.'
♠ ♠ ♠
Should I start putting music links with chapters or no? Just a thought. Any who, I loved writing this one ^.^