Status: My very first Outsiders fanfic, hope you guys like ^^

The Fox and the Flower

When It Rains, It Pours



As soon as English rings out Shirley gets on me about Sam like you wouldn't believe.

"You need to ask Mr. Dane for another partner, fast. Before ya' have to go to that perverts house." She tells me, all the seriousness in the world on her face.

His house? I have to go to Sam Benton's house?! Stopping in the middle of the hallway I turn to her, wide eyed.

"Wait, what are you talking 'bout? No one said nothin' 'bout going to peoples houses!" I say, my voice rising towards the end.

"You're kiddin' right? You thought he was gonna let you do the whole thing in class? Pft, hate to tell ya' hun, but it ain't happenin'."

My heart seems to sink lower and lower as every word she just said slowly takes it's effect. Not only am I going to be expected to sit by and work with this dude, but now I have to go to his house too?! Alone, with Sam, in his house...Well why don't we just throw a seven year-old in a room with a sexual predator and call it even. God, my head hurts. I breathe a heavy sigh and rub the side of my temples. Shirley sees my reaction and furrows her eye brows.

"Calm down girl. Ya' still got a chance, Hell hasn't frozen over just yet. But ya' better hurry, teach gets real pissy towards lunchtime."

"M'kay, I'll see you later." I say, attempting to pull myself together.

Turning on my heels I start heading back to English, fighting the incoming rush as other classes start to let out. As I look around at the kind of people that start to fill the hall, my heart thumps loudly in my chest. It's one thing to be a freshman in a sea of upperclassman, but it's another to be a Greaser freshman in a sea of Soc upperclassman. I try, I really do try to not get noticed. I even put my head down and keep close to the wall. But it's like finding a bleach stain on a black T-shirt, you can't miss me.

"Hey, look at this guys, the little bitch actually goes to school!"

Shit.

I groan internally as the guy from before and his minions narrow in on me against the wall. Of all the people... why does he have to go to my school? Shouldn't someone like him be off in a far away boarding school or somethin'?

"Ya' know that wasn't very nice, throwin' tires at people like that," he says, his voice low and threatening "but don't you worry Grease, 'cause I hear you and my lil' bro have that report together. Ya' best believe there's not gonna be anyone to save you at my house."

His 'lil' bro'? His little brother?! Ah Hell no!

"Move it Soc, I got somewhere to go." I say bluntly, pushing one of his buddies back and walking out of their circle.

I take maybe a whole two steps until he grabs me roughly by the elbow.

"Wait just a minute, who do you think you are?" He says low in my ear, teeth gritted.

I open my mouth to tell him exactly who I am, but get cut off when he twists my arm behind my back. A high pitched yelp escapes my lips as I try to wriggle out of his hands but that just makes it worse. It hurts, it hurts really bad and I have to bite down on my lip so I don't cry out again.

"What was that? Hey, guys check it out, the bitch barks!"

He contorts my arm more, hoping to get another sound out of me, but I don't give. I don't give to the point that I now taste blood in my mouth. It's getting to where I can't take it anymore and I contemplate making a scene when the bell rings. My arm gets released at the sound and I can hear him and his buddies laughing at my hunched over figure as they stroll over to their next class. Cradling my strained arm against my torso I take a minute to breathe and lean my back against the wall. People start clearing out of the hall way and none of them bat an eyelash at the girl in pain. I'd bet anything that maybe if I did my hair up nicer, brushed on a bit of make-up, and had on expensive looking clothes that they'd give a damn. But sadly, that's not me, and they never will.

Taking in a sharp breath, I push myself up off the wall and start heading to my next class. Whatever window of opportunity I had was taken up by those douches and I doubt Mr. Dane was even gonna let me change partners anyway. I'm still going to try on my next break, but I have a feeling the same thing is going to happen. With each tick of the hand on the clock I feel my own chance tick away with it. When I do step into class, biology, I get demerits for being late and take my seat in the back. Shirley doesn't have this class and neither does Pony. Which might be a good thing, I guess. My arm still hurts and I was able to play it off when the teacher saw me, but I don't think I could get by those two. I don't want them to see me like this, I don't want them to worry. It's my mess and I can clean it up by myself. Whatever happens to me, it shouldn't be their problem and I'm gonna keep it that way.

***


I was right. Every time I tried to go back to English there they were. When lunchtime came around I knew it was hopeless and just stopped trying. Soon the last bell of the day rang and I had pretty much accepted my fate then. After school I headed straight home, I don't need a repeat of last night. When I get there I see my aunt fixing something in the kitchen and am extra aware of the giant knife she's using to chop the peppers.

"So you decided to come home this time." She says without looking up.

She's still mad at me.

"Uh, yeah." I say nervously, setting my backpack down by the door.

The action causes my arm some pain but I play it off and let it hang by my side.

"You had some nerve last night. Runnin' off like that. I'd skin your hide 'bout now, but your momma in Heaven wouldn't forgive me."

"I really am sorry..."

Taking in a heavy sigh she starts wiping the knife off with her apron and only when she sets the thing down do I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding.

"Yeah, I know you're sorry." She mumbles.

"W-Where's Uncle Pete." I ask, trying to get off the subject.

"He's still at work but he'll be home any minute. You best believe he's not gonna be as calm 'bout this as I am."

That's what I'm afraid of.