Status: My very first Outsiders fanfic, hope you guys like ^^

The Fox and the Flower

English Class



After our little run in with the Soc's, Shirley and I had missed the bus long ago. We ended up taking one of her 'emergency short cuts'. She told me she'd only used it if she really had to and I figured out pretty fast why. First, you climb over two high fences with strings of barbwire sticking out here and there. Then, you sneak by the alley behind the police station 'cause they'll cuff us just for looking like we're up to no good. And lastly, you try to creep your way through the dumpster behind the local butcher because not only does the guy have a temper if he sees you sneaking, but the stray dogs like to make that place their home. After all that, I got away with a few scrapes on my arm and a slight tear in the hem of my jeans. But we did make it before the bell, so I guess it wasn't all bad.

"Hey, Charlotte, what's your second period?" Shirley asks me, leaning against one of the lockers.

We just got out of our first and I'm dreading the next seven. Honestly, I wish teachers would at least try to make it interesting. History was like banging your head into the wall for forty-five minutes.

"English."

"You have to sit next to me. I don't think I can stand that Soc chick for another period without snapping her neck. All she talks about is her boyfriend and shoes."

I smile a little as I pull my notebook out of my locker. At least Shirley's here. I don't know what I'd do if I had to blend with the Socs. They all seem to have the same pompous air about them and I can't stand it. Maybe I'd find someone like Ponyboy to hang around or somethin'. I wonder if Ponyboy's in my class. Doubt it, you don't even know how old he is let alone what grade. How do you even know that he goes to this school? Well, he can't be too much older than me. Maybe a year or two at most? Where would that put him... tenth, eleventh grade? And there aren't that many high schools around here.

"What ya thinkin' about." Shirley states, a mischievous grin on her face.

"Nothin', just..."

"Spit it out, patience ain't one of my virtues."

We start walking out across the courtyard to the other side of the school and Shirley lights up another cigarette.

"Are you allowed to smoke here?" I ask, changing the subject.

I don't know why, but I feel kind of... embarrassed, to ask about Ponyboy.

"No. And you ain't doin' that subject change stuff with me. Now what ya thinkin' 'bout?" She says bluntly in between drags.

"Well... do you know anyone named Ponyboy?"

"Sure do. He's the only other person I can stand in English. Not much of a talker though. Why? you- Wait." She suddenly stops walking and looks me up and down.

I feel small under her gaze and kind of feel the need to hide under a bush.

"That's his jacket, isn't it! Ya'll are goin' out aren't you!" She says loudly, the widest grin on her face.

"No! It's nothin' like that! And keep your voice down." I grumble.

She smiles from ear to ear at me and we continue walking.

"So, how'd you get his jacket? You didn't steal it or anythin' did ya?" She questions and takes another drag.

Should I tell her? About the fight at the park and all that happened? I don't think it'd hurt anything. But it's kind of a complicated and long story... I'll tell her later.

"I didn't steal it, he gave it to me. Said it was getting too small for him... I'll tell you the rest later."

Stepping up to the double doors, I wait for Shirley to stomp her cigarette out before we walk into the building.

"Fine, but I want details." She says, playfully jabbing me in the ribs before stepping into the class room.

I smile a little and follow. Shirley makes damn sure I sit by her with the glares she gives this one Soc and I just kind of sit there awkwardly in the spot. When the bulk of the class starts pouring in I try to pick Pony out of them, but only spot him when he sits two seats in front of me. Shirley sees me looking and moves her eyebrows up and down at me when I look over. Rolling my eyes, I take out one of my notebooks and open to a blank page. If this class takes a nose dive like the last one, I can at least write or doodle my boredom away. An idea for a doodle pops into my mind and I scribble it down, not exactly caring how it turns out. Suddenly I feel Shirley kicking at my ankle and I give her a glare until I find out why. She cocks her head to one side and I look in the direction to see Ponyboy looking around the classroom. Is he maybe... nah, don't even go there Charlotte. He stops when he sees me and I give a small smile plus a slight wave. At first he just blinks at me, but returns the wave and I think I even see the corner of his mouth turn up a bit. Of course that's the exact moment when the teacher walks in so I'll never know.

"Quiet, everyone, quiet." he says kind of waddling up to the front of the class.

Yes, waddling. The man is... big, let's go with big. The class room quickly deduces into silence as he starts writing something on the board, but suddenly stops.

"Ah, before I forget. Class, we have a new student here today from Texas. A..." He takes a minute to look down at a piece of paper on his desk "Charlotte Hale. Charlotte, please raise your hand."

Ever so reluctantly I raise my hand half way up in the air and do my best to keep my blush at bay. I don't like it when a lot of people stare at me. It makes me all nervous and self-conscious. Of course, the whole class turns their head to stare at the new human being in the room and I take my hand down.

"Class, Charlotte. Charlotte, class. You may call me Mr. Dane. Now pay attention everyone, because what I'm about it write is very important for your grade." he says, and turns back to writing on the board.

Soon the class turns back to what they were doing before and I'm allowed to breathe. After a couple of minutes Mr. Dane takes a step back from the board and written in big letters is 'partnered book report'. As a result the class erupts in moans and sighs.

"Now, now. This for thirty percent of your grade so you best stop that. The book you will be doing the report on is ever so famous 'A Mid Summer Nights Dream' by none other than William Shakespeare. I will be the one to give you your partners tomorrow, so you can stop looking at your best friend because it's not happening. I'll be answering questions today only to get a start on it tomorrow. So, any questions?"

A couple kids raise their hands. Some with actual questions and others just trying to be smart asses, but I faze all that out. I'm kind of excited for the report. I actually like Shakespeare, but not too much of it 'cause the man was obsessed with tragedies and they get to you if you read too many. The only thing that bugs me is the partner thing. One, I do school work best alone. And two, the majority of my class is Socs. There's only a slight chance that I'll get Pony or Shirley. If I can barely stand working with a regular person, how can I be expected to work with a Soc?