The House Next Door.

Eighteen

Addison's knuckles hesitantly brushed against his door. She stood in the doorway shyly. Mr Hardy peered at her sideways already smiling.
Addison took a step in and turned her body towards him. Mr Hardy took in her stance and the frown on her lips- gathering this he stood.

"I know what I want" Addison announced. Mr Hardy nodded and raised a hand toward a desk.

"Have a seat. We can discuss" Mr Hardy said.

Addison bite her lip at his little smirk. Mr Hardy knew- it was obvious.

"I would like to .." Addison trailed off. "Take a step back" she finished softly.

His brow furrowed and he peered at her. "Where is this coming from?" He wondered.

Addison opened her mouth and closed it tightly. A moment later she sought some courage to speak. "It's the best choice for us" Her voice shook and Mr Hardy frowned.

"You are so doubtful. Always second guessing" Mr Hardy ran a hand through his hair.

Addison fidgeted and clasped her hands together. "It's okay really- I'm okay and we can just have a.." Addison amusedly pondered a term for their relationship. "A appropriate relationship".

Mr Hardy chuckled and pointed his finger towards her. "You don't mean a word you say and that's okay".

Addison eyes narrowed and tilted her chin. "I do".

Mr Hardy nodded smiling wickedly. "Doesn't change a thing, darling".

"It doesn't have to" Addison said back. "Our feelings stay the same but we have to take a step back. For our own sake".

"I suppose your right" Mr Hardy offered.

"I only been for the last week" Addison smiled. Mr Hardy pressed his lips together.

He wanted to yell- tell this heart breaking girl she was terribly wrong. He wanted her and this was the time.
But apparently not.

"I can handle whatever curve ball you throw at me" Mr Hardy smirked.

Addison rose her eyebrows. "Do you think I'm playing a game?".

Mr Hardy raised his shoulders saying absolutely nothing.

Addison scoffed. "I'm not" She clarified. "You're right I am very doubtful. But I have a reason to be ever so doubtful" She hissed at him.

Mr Hardy sighed deeply. "Such a complicated girl".

"I never was before" Addison told him whispering.

Mr Hardy tightly smiled. "My apologies".
Addison returned the smile.

"Any plans for tonight?" Mr Hardy asked suddenly.

"I suppose" Addison said smirking.

"In that case you better go" Mr Hardy said.

"Okay" Addison said raising. "Don't want to be late".

Mr Hardy smiled and Addison halted inches away. He amusedly peered down, she gave him a small smile.

"I still love you" Addison told him softly. "That's not going to change".

"But you're looking in all the wrong places for a change. Why does it include of you staying away?" He wondered lightly brushing away a strand of hair.

Addison stood peering up. "It's only for our benefit. I don't want to be completely devastating heart broken when you leave".

Mr Hardy winced at the reminder.

"So small doses of the heart break?" He nodded briskly.

"Yes" Addison nodded.

The pair glared at another. Moments passed and Mr Hardy shook his head. "You're too cute" he sighed.

He inched toward her and teasingly nipped at her. Addison laughed and pushed at him. "Take me serious".

"No" Mr Hardy smiled crookedly at her.

"Please?" Addison frowned.

"Can I still kiss you?" Mr Hardy gaze flickered to her mouth.

Addison mouth twitched. "No" She said hesitantly.

Mr Hardy grimaced. "Torturous". His eyes narrowed to meet her gaze. "I will respect your rash decision" He began and peered away. "I am also proud of you".

Addison cocked her head. "Really?" She asked.

"You're such a mature woman" He rose a eyebrow at the term woman.

Addison smiled and lingered in front of him. "Will you be there?".

Mr Hardy nodded quickly. "Of course".

"Thank you" Addison said softly.

Mr Hardy placed his hands on her shoulder and she instantly melted against his touch. He inched toward her and brushed his lips to her forehead.

"Happy birthday, Addy".

_________________________________

Addison pretended to be surprised for her party. Michael had let it slipped and Addison just went along with the works of her eighteenth birthday.

During the celebration Edward was there to peer at her smiling effortlessly. He whispered praises as she passed.
Her heart swelled every time.

Addison snuck upstairs and skipped into her room and found a wrapped blue box.
Addison peered around curiously.

She smiled approaching her windowsill and sat on the edge. Her fingers carefully unwrapped the gift. A black box grazed her fingertips and Addison took a deep breathe and opened it.

A diamond star.

Her initials engraved causing her eyelids to widen with glee.

A note inside caused her to smile as bright as the diamonds. It read:

Because you are my star; Happy birthday Addison.

Tears formed and Addison grasped the necklace.

Suddenly fingers brushed along her neck and Addison shook from his touch. Edward clasped the necklace around her neck.

He stood behind and lowered his lips to her ear. "Do you like it?".

"I love it" Addison whispered. "Thank you".

Edward rubbed her shoulder soothingly and gently kissed her bare neck and Addison felt her body respond to his touch.

"I love you".

Addison turned and found he was no longer in the room.
Addison took a deep breathe and steadied all the complications in her life.

In this moment and all of the moments in her life from now on.
She was his star.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me what you all think.

I'm excited.

Thank you for reading. ❤️