Status: Will try to post once a week, but sometimes real life gets in the way

Playing the Part

CHAPTER 2: The Reading Part~1

"Boarding off at Atlanta." The flight attendant's cheerful voice spoke through the speakers above Sam and Dylan's heads as they sat in the blue cushioned chairs of the plane. Sam laid her tired head back with a long nervous sigh.

"Still nervous?" Dylan asked with a concerned look on her face. "Yea just a little." Sam admitted, but just a little didn't say enough, she was petrified. Her future relied on this reading.

"Don't be." Dylan smiled as she lightly rubbed her older cousin's hand.

"I can't help it." Sam laughed.

She had found out all the details on her character and it was heavy loaded. Sam was going to be reading for the part of Harper Greene, Maggie Greene's cousin. If Sam got the part she would be a series regular and the way the producers were talking they might even give her a love life.

"You may now exit your designated seats. Have a wonderful day." The flight attendant's voice interrupted Sam's doubtful thoughts. As instructed Dylan and Sam got up retrieving their bags from the overhead compartment.

"This is it Sam! I'm so excited for you!" Dylan said as she shook her cousin's shoulders. 'This was it' Sam thought to herself 'I step off this plane and my life might change... forever'.

<><><><><><>

Sam and Dylan began to search the airport for Laurie, the one to pick them up and escort them. "Look! there!" Dylan pointed to where a crowd of people stood and camera flashes went off like crazy. They had found Laurie.

In the center of the large energized crowd stood the beautiful blonde as she posed with fans and signed autographs. "Well lets get to it than." Sam said and with that they made their way towards the crowd of crazy fans.

The two cousins struggled as they shoved through to reach the blonde actress. Laurie finally came into view as Sam pushed past one last admiring fan.

"Sam! Dylan!" Laurie shouted out as she dropped what she was doing to pull them into a tight group hug. "Oh you guys both look so gorgeous!" The actress said as she pulled out of the hug and eyed their outfits.

Dylan sported a pink pencil skirt, sparkling heels, leather jacket, and her usual long wavy blonde hair, while Sam wore a figure fitting black dress, leather jacket, black heels, and her long dark hair sat in curls down her back, where Dylan had spent hours curling it. It was true, this was the best Sam and her cousin had looked in a long time.

"Thanks." Sam said politely, but couldn't focus on Laurie as camera flashes blinded her. "Here lets get outta here." Laurie said taking Sam and Dylan by the arms, escorting the cousins away from the wild fans. Sam watched in amazement as people pointed at them and took pictures while they marched through the airport lobby, Laurie not even minding. Sam could only wish to have that many fans.

They exited the large glass doors of the Atlanta international airport eyeing a black Cadillac parked at the entrance. Sam was caught off guard as two hulking men came up and took their abundance of bags loading them into the expensive car.

"I hope you don't mind Gale hired some drivers for my stay in Atlanta." Laurie said as she saw Sam's bewildered expression. "Oh it's no problem, really." Sam assured her. "Great, lets get going." The actress said with a light smile as one of the huge men opened a back door inviting them into the car's luxuries.

Dylan slid in first, then Laurie, and last, but not least, Sam. Once she was secure in the Cadillac's leather interior the silent driver shut the door making his way to the driver's side. The man entered and within minutes they were moving.

"So before we head to your reading, I thought you might like to have lunch with me and some of the cast." Laurie's kind voice broke the uncomfortable silence in the car as she looked to Sam.

Sam didn't know what to say really. These were Laurie's friends. Yeah she had worked with Jeffrey Demunn and Melissa Mcbride, but she would still feel out of place. They were a family and she was an outsider. She wasn't one of them yet.

"We are all in town to do our own Season 2 readings and I thought it would be fun to have lunch together. Trust me you'll love them they're really great." Laurie continued on trying to plead her case.

Although Sam felt uncomfortable with the idea, she couldn't turn down the offer due to the simple fact she was put on the spot. Laurie smiled as Sam nodded in agreement to the cast lunch.

"So like we'll get to see Rick and-and Glenn?!" Dylan nearly jumped out of her seat with excitement while Sam cowered in hers with embarrassment, over how childlike her cousin was acting. Dylan loved Rick and Glenn, although she would never admit it, Sam knew she had crushes on both men.

Laurie nodded her head with a laugh. "Andy and Steven who play Rick and Glenn, Jon and IronE who play Shane and T-dog, and Melissa who plays Carol... You and I worked with her on the Mist, remember." She turned to Sam and smiled.

Sam nodded. "Yea I remember." She said with a weak smile and Laurie continued. "Anyhow, that's who is gonna be there... Oh and how could I forget! My Normy is gonna be there!" Laurie said in excitement.

"Normy?" Sam asked with a questioning look on her face, she didn't remember there being a 'Normy' among the cast. "Oh, my good friend, Norman, he plays Daryl." Laurie said smiling and Sam watched as Dylan's face reflected pure disgust. Sam knew the level of hate that Dylan had when it came to the white trash character. The man annoyed her younger cousin to no end.

"Daryl Dixon? Eww! He is such a douche-bag." Dylan without thinking blurted out. Sam shot her an angry look. Yes they both didn't like the redneck on the show, but the actors are different than their characters and she had just insulted him in front of one of his friends.

"Dylan! Jesus!"

Sam smacked her younger cousin hard on the back of the head. "Ouch! Jeez! I was just saying!" Dylan whined at the stinging from the back of her head as Laurie erupted in laughter.

"Oh it's fine! Norman would probably get a kick at it, just his way of knowing he's doing his job." The actress laughed causing Sam to smile. "Trust me though Norm's a huge sweetheart he's nothing like his character... that man wouldn't hurt a fly. You guys will love him you really will." Laurie reassured the two. "I'll believe that when I see it." Dylan scoffed.

Sam sent another hand flying to the back of her cousin's head causing Dylan to shout out in pain. "We can't wait to meet him." Sam corrected Dylan's rudeness. Truthfully Sam was scared to meet any of the successful actors, they would see how big of a failure she really was.

<><><><><><>

The three women walked into the large extravagant restaurant, Laurie leading the way. The place was decorated in expensive modern decor. Sam could only hope that Laurie was paying, no way could she afford a place like this.

All of a sudden Sam heard cheering come from their right and looked to see a table full of her favorite characters. They all shouted out excitedly for Laurie as the three of them walked up Laurie at the front. Sam watched as Andrew Lincoln, AKA Rick, stood and hugged Laurie.

"Andy, I'd like you to meet Sam and her cousin Dylan. Sam is the one Robert wrote that extra part for, she is doing her reading today." Laurie introduced them. Andrew gave a charming smile and held out his hand to Sam.

"It's nice to meet you Sam... and Dylan."

His British accent shocked their ears as they stood in awe. Dylan looked as if she would melt in his presence. "Woah! I didn't know you were british! That's awesome!" Dylan said in excitement causing him to laugh. Sam shook her head at her cousin's obsessed behavior.

"Well it's true I am." He smiled his same charming smile. "Well Sam and Dylan, this is Jon and Steven." Andrew pointed as the two men came up and shook their hands. Dylan was speechless as she shook Steven's. Sam knew Dylan would be content and completely happy with dying at that moment in time.

"And this is IronE and Melissa."

"Oh I remember you!" Melissa said as she walked up to Sam. Dylan was busy being introduced to IronE. "You were in the Mist with me and Laurie weren't you?" The short haired woman asked as she shook Sam's petite hand.

Sam nodded with a polite smile. "Yea that's how me and Laurie became friends actually." Sam replied causing Laurie to smile. "Small world." IronE gave a humble grin as he also shook Sam's hand. "Yes it is." Sam replied with a smile.

"Here why don't you guys have a seat." Steven spoke up.

Laurie found a seat in between Melissa and Steven, Dylan next to Jon and Andrew, while Sam only sat next to an empty chair and Andrew.

"Where's Norman?" Laurie asked and Sam finally realized who was missing and was slightly thankful due to her cousin's hatred for him.

"The loser probably slept in, I'll give him a call." Jon said with a sly smile as he pulled out his phone. They all watched as the dark headed actor pulled up Norman's number than pressed the green call button.

Jon sat the expensive iPhone down on the cherry wood table and smiled mischievously as he pressed the small speaker button. The group sat anxiously in anticipated silence and grins as the phone rang over and over again.

Finally the ringing quit as a tired raspy voice came through the static speakers and over the table top. "Hello?"

"Hey asshole where you been?" Jon spoke to the phone.

"Uh-hmm bed? Why?" The voice replied.

"Lunch and the reading remember? It's like noon man." Jon told him through the phone. They all listened as scuffling and curses came over the loud speakers.

"Shit, shit, shit! Man I'm so sorry!" Norman's voice was hurried and frantic. "I'll be there in 10!" He said and with that the phone went to a dead tone where Norman had hung up. "Told ya." Jon said with a triumphant smile on his toned face causing them all to break down into hysterical laughter.

<><><> 10 MINUTES LATER <><><>

The group sat laughing while listening to Jon tell a comedic story about Chandler Riggs and him discovering leeches in the quarry from Season 1. Sam couldn't hold in her controlled laughter no longer as Jon reenacted Chandler freaking out after the frog scene when the boy found one on his small leg.

"You never seen a kid run faster."

Jon laughed as he finished his story. Everyone at the busy table was laughing and listening except for Sam who's attention was elsewhere. Sam watched intently as a disheveled man stood at the main counter pointing towards their table.

The man's short brown hair was a mess, laying in wisp above his forehead. Even the strands of facial hair that clung to his face were a mess, only shaved here and there. A beauty mark sat above the right side of his lip buried in his stubble stubble.

Dark ray bans covered the view of his eyes while the grey shirt he wore was tucked halfway into his dark jeans. The black tie that wrapped around his neck laid lazily to the side, badly wrinkled.

This guy was a mess, but he pulled it off. He made messy look good and it was a definite turn on for Sam. She always found herself attracted to those type of guys. She couldn't place her finger on it, but for some reason he looked slightly familiar.

Than suddenly it dawned on her, this guy was Daryl Dixon. She felt like an idiot, how did she not recognize him when they had just talked about him? Maybe it was because he was better looking in person and didn't seem like a total douche-bag once the sleeveless shirts were gone. Who knew why, but one thing was for sure she had a new attraction for Daryl even though it meant Dylan may kill her for it.

Sam watched as he came slowly walking towards the group. No one but her noticing him, since everyone else was busy listening to Jon.

The messy actor gracefully took off his sunglasses as he walked up revealing some of the bluest eyes Sam had ever seen. Though odd, those blue eyes were staring at her as he came closer to the table. She didn't know why he was looking at her and honestly she didn't know why she was looking at him. All she knew was that she couldn't bring herself to remove her eyes from his direction.

"Norman!"

Laurie's voice broke her attention as her friend jumped up from the table and headed towards the new arrival. The blonde hugged him tight while everyone else stood to make their own greetings. Sam watched as one by one everyone hugged him. He was well loved that was for sure.

After all the actors had embraced him Sam found his eyes on her once again.

"Oh, Norm, this is my friend Sam and her cousin Dylan. Sam is reading that part for Gale and them this evening." Laurie told him like she had with Andy only moments before.

Norman smiled shaking Dylan's hand, even though the young blonde wanted no part of it. He than turned to Sam. "Have we met before?" Norman questioned raising his eyebrows as he shook her hand. She smiled blushing. "I don't think so, but I've been in a few movies."

"Oh really which ones?" He asked.

"She was in the mist with me and Melissa." Laurie answered for her.

"That's it!" He clapped his hands. "You were that girl who's sister died, with that big bug bite and shit! Man you were amazing! I wish I could cry like that." Sam's blush grew with the wave of compliments he was giving her.

Sam had only played a small part in the movie, not really a role to remember. Her onscreen sister had died and she was required to cry, yes it was one of her toughest performances by far, but once again, not one to remember.

Sam was thankful that someone recognized her work, but still couldn't believe it was a fellow actor. He probably had tons of roles compared to her and here he was wishing he could cry like her, it was unbelievable. She didn't know what to say.

"Thank you, I'm glad somebody saw it." She laughed as she thanked him causing him to smile. "Well it was really good." He assured her.

The two stood in an awkward silence looking at each other while everyone else slowly reclaimed their empty seats. The way he looked at her made her heart skip a beat, it was the way every girl wanted to be looked at. Her mind was set, she definitely wanted this role if it meant working with him everyday.

Sam watched as he nervously cleared his throat breaking their silence, but not his dumbfounded gaze. "Well uhmm- we uh- we should sit." He said stuttering and motioning clumsily towards the table.

Sam was in awe. This guy, this successful, rich, actor was actually nervous to be around her. Sam watched as he rushed to her chair and pulled it out quickly so she could sit.

'This can't be happening' Sam thought to herself. She was being offered a once in a lifetime job and a once in a lifetime guy was stumbling over her. The day couldn't get any better.

She followed his lead and sat down in the awaiting chair, not once did her eyes leave his, they were gorgeous. He took the seat next to her the two smiling shyly as they looked at each other, oblivious to the silent table staring at them.

"Ekk-hmm."

IronE's humble but heavy voice echoed across the table breaking their attention. "Would you two like to order?" They looked around noticing an irritated waiter standing behind them. They hadn't even noticed the young waiter walk up and take everyone else's orders.

The boy wore a name tag that read 'Jake' and an expression mothers give their children when they're angry. "Oh uhh-uhh I'll have uhmm- I'll have the chicken with a side of salad." Sam hoarsed out. Her cheeks were red with embarrassment.

"And to drink?" The boy asked. "Water would be fine." She answered him putting her head down to avoid the questioning looks coming from the other actors, but her attempts were failed as she caught Dylan's devious questionable grin.

"And you?" The waiter asked Norman.

"I'll have what she's having." And with that the waiter scribbled down the orders and left.

<><><><><><>

The waiter had finally brought back everyone's meals as the whole table started to break into their own several different conversations. Steven, Melissa, and Laurie had started their own while Jon, Dylan, and Andy had started their's leaving Sam and Norman to have their own.

"I can't believe I slept in, I always do that. I'm an idiot." Norman said as he cut into a piece of chicken.

"Well the way you sounded on the phone, you must have been pretty tired." Sam chuckled lightly.

"Great... did Jon have me on speaker?"

Norman's face was red with embarrassment as Sam shook her head yes. "Damn it he's an asshole... I'm sorry you had to hear me sound like such a loser." He looked at her, hoping that he wasn't saying something awkward like he usually did. He was bad at talking to beautiful women, it was a miracle he had any luck at all.

"You're not a loser... trust me. You play Daryl Dixon." Sam reassured him with a laugh causing him to smile sheepishly. Even though it came out funny, she was serious. He at least could get a role, she was the real loser.

"So are you nervous? About today?" He asked her looking into her ocean blue eyes, they captivated him. He had always dated girls with darker eyes, but he now found the urge to step out of his normal type. "Yeah, I mean... just a little." She confessed looking down at her hands. "Don't be." He told her causing her to look up at him and smile.

"You sound like my cousin." She laughed.

"Well your cousin is smart, you should listen to her." Norman said as he took another bite of his chicken. "I mean it, you were fantastic, no joke." She blushed once again as he paid her a compliment.

Laurie was right he was so much different than his character. Daryl was stand offish, rude, and racist while Norman was friendly, sweet, and awkward. She knew he had to be a good actor, because Daryl was nothing like him for sure.

"Well you're not so bad yourself. The scene with Merle's hand was pretty awesome." Sam said feeling as if she owed him a compliment since he had drowned her in his.

"I try." He laughed showing off his beautiful smile. This guy was slowly making Sam fall in love, no wonder so many people loved him, she had probably known him for a good fifteen minutes and she had already fallen. Dylan was stupid to ever think he was some douche-bag.

He was different. Sam had met so many actors that would just sit on their phones not giving you the time of day, because they thought they were better than you, but not Norman. She had finally found someone in this business that just seemed normal.

"So where are you from?" Norman asked his blue eyes piercing hers. Those eyes were gonna end up killing her. "Originally Indiana, but now I live in Manhattan with Dylan." Sam informed him. He gave a huge smile.

"That's awesome so do I... I live in little Italy with my son." He said than quickly regretted it. He just told her he had a son and he had barely spoke to her yet. He was doomed to single hell it was certain.

"You have a son?" She asked in shock.

Norman put his head down, so much for thinking she was cute.

"Yeah, he's eleven, he'll be twelve this October." He said as he waited for rejection, but none came.

"Do you have pictures?" Sam asked with a smile she had always had a soft spot for kids.

"Sure." He said with a smile as he fumbled for his wallet.

Sam watched as he finally pulled out a black square wallet flipping it open. Her eyes followed his fingers as he reached into a hidden pocket pulling out a miniature sized photo of him and a small boy with shaggy blonde hair and the same electric blue eyes. Sam leaned into his shoulder to get a better look at the tiny photo. His warmth and musky scent made her feel incredibly comfortable.

In the picture the two sat on a boat the boy in his lap smiling up at Norman as he stuck his tongue out. The photo was very sweet, causing her to smile at how happy the father and son looked.

"What is his name?" She looked up at Norman.

He met her eyes. "Mingus." He told her looking back at the picture and smiling down at his son, he missed him. Mingus wouldn't be coming back down to Georgia for another week and it was killing him.

"He looks like you. Very handsome." Her soft voice interrupted his thoughts making him look back at her.

"Thank you." He sated plainly with a humble smile. This girl was it. It didn't phase her that he had a son, that he was a dork and an idiot, that he showed up to lunch late, and that he was practically still in his pajamas, she didn't find him weird. She liked him for who he was, but he needed to slow down.

He had the bad habit that once you talked to him for five minutes he wanted to marry you, that was his problem. He moved to fast. That's why his past relationships had been so bad, he needed to slow down. She was just a girl being friendly and that was it.

<><><><><><>
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I got writing the second chapter and my brain overflowed and I couldn't stop writing so it ended up the size of two chapters before I realized it, ha ha oops. And since this chapter overflowed I'm going to split it in two: Chapter 2, The Reading Part 1 and Chapter 3, The Reading Part 2

Because of now having two full chapters wrote they will be released quick this one today and the next one tomorrow. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

So anyhow I hope you guys liked this chapter and are looking forward to the next. If you guys are wondering why they are calling Daryl a douche-bag and hating on him, it's because at this point in the story only Season 1 Daryl exists so far and you're not a true fan if you can't admit the simple fact that Daryl acted like a total prick that season.

People didn't fall in love with him till halfway through Season 2. If people say they did love him before that they are either a liar or a redneck themselves.

So sorry for the long and pointless author's note just remember to R&R please! Leave me some love in the comments, I love feedback good or bad, preferably good, but I'll take anything you give me.

Oh and here's the actor's names for any newbies out there:

Andrew Lincoln: Rick Grimes Jon Bernthal: Shane Walsh
Melissa McBride: Carol Peletier Steven Yeun: Glenn Rhee
Laurie Holden: Andrea Jeffrey DeMunn: Dale Horvath
Chandler Riggs: Carl Grimes Norman Reedus: Daryl Dixon
IronE Singleton: T-dog

<><><> LOOKS <><><>

~Sam's Reading Outfit
http://www.polyvore.com/sam_ryder/set?id=85643076

~Dylan's Reading Outfit
http://www.polyvore.com/dylan_ryder/set?id=85645756