Jeans of a Star

For when the drinks are strong.

“Come have a drink with me,” Charity said, smiling at me from behind her now empty cup. I didn’t know when she had left the blonde boy or why they had parted ways, but I was just glad to have her back. The party was infinitely less awkward with Charity by my side since I didn’t have to rely on just myself to make it look like I belonged.

Even though I knew drinks were a bad idea with the situation I was in, I nodded my head and followed Charity into the kitchen. It was empty for the moment, and I wanted to get in and get out as quickly as possible out of fear of coming into contact with Dave again.

“What do you want?” she asked, while gripping a bottle of vodka for herself and mixing it with some cranberry juice. One of the best combinations known to man.

“That’ll work,” I said, nodding in the direction of the bottles. I probably should have mixed it myself, because I knew how Charity liked her drinks. She liked them strong and was most likely going to give me one twice as strong as hers so I could catch up with the drink she already had.

After she poured a drink for herself, she took to making mine and like I expected, she poured just a little bit too much vodka in it. I took it from her anyway, knowing it would help me release a little bit of the party tension I was feeling. Even with Nick inviting me to play beer pong with him, I was still feeling a little bit out of place. Of course, I blamed Dave.

“Chug it,” Charity said, giving me a smile that only someone who was tipsy could manage.

I rolled my eyes at her, but followed her command and downed my drink with a cringe on my face. It was almost too strong to be tolerable, but luckily I was relatively good at chugging drinks for reasons unknown to me.

The drink burned a hole in my throat, and I shook my head, pursing my lips at the bitter taste. Charity laughed at me and I couldn’t help but smile back at her. What were best friends for if not to get you drunk at the worst possible times?

It took a few moments, but I could feel that tingly feeling in my lips and I knew I was the perfect amount of tipsy. I was at the point where everything felt good and nice and fun, but I wasn’t at the point where I wouldn’t remember anything in the morning or spend my night with my head dunked in the toilet.

I just had to remain exactly where I was alcohol wise, which is ultimately the impossible goal of everyone who attends a party. Of course, I was going to be just about as lucky as the rest of them.

“Let’s go back out,” Charity said, nodding her head in the direction of the screen door that would lead back out into the chaos.

I flipped my gaze between Charity and the door, but that only made me dizzier and caused the alcohol to course through my body even more quickly. I knew going back out there would force me to see Dave and probably all sorts of other things involving him that I didn’t want to see, but I didn’t really have a choice. I couldn’t just hide in his kitchen for the rest of the night, as nice as that sounded.

Letting out a deep breath, I nodded my head, and Charity was quick to grab my hand and pull me towards the door. I still had a somewhat good sense of balance, but Charity’s quick motion caused me to stumble a bit.

Any other time I would have crashed face first into the glass. Maybe it would have caught me and I would have bounced back. Maybe it would have broken and I would have had to go to the hospital to get stiches. Honestly, either one of those things would have been better than what did happen.

Just as I began falling forward, the door slid open, causing me to go crashing into the person who had opened it. I didn’t even have to look up to know who it was, both because I recognized the smell of his cologne and because I knew my luck well enough to know what it would bring me.

His hands fell to my waist immediately, steadying me as if he’d done it a thousand times before. He gave me a small laugh while looking down at me with a smile on his face. Our eyes met and his grin widened even more, and all I could feel was his gaze and the alcohol.

“Eleanor,” Dave said with his hands still placed gently on my hips. “Fancy seeing you here again.”

I could blame it on the alcohol or I could blame it on the fact that Dave’s smile was hideously contagious, but I gave him a smile back.

“Fancy seeing you.”

And that was where it all began.
♠ ♠ ♠
It. Is. Time.

Thank you all so so so much for your lovely comments. They make me smile every time I read them and I can't even explain how much I adore you! Keep being awesome.