This Offer Stands Forever

Self-Conclusion

You stare at yourself in the mirror.

You run your hands down your sides and Summer, I know what you're thinking.

You're not comfortable.
You're not happy.
You can't stand it.

You bring your eyes to your face and you fake a smile.

But this only brings you closer to the one conclusion you weren't hoping for.

You think about leaving the taps running, but you remember nobody's home.

I know you know that things like that aren't pleasant, but I don't think you care sweetheart.

I wish I could tell you that the mirror is a sad, empty hole that won't be there when you need it. It can't tell you the things you want to hear, it can't cheer you up when you're down. Why don't you just step away? And when you do step away, don't do it. Everything that goes down is meant to be down, why are you interrupting gravity like that?

Summer, I swear.
Everyone knows beauty fades, why are you trying to counteract that?

/

Tuesdays.

Tuesdays were never your favourite day of the week, you were more of a Thursday type of girl, if you had to pick a school night.

But I guess it's Summer now and there really isn't such thing as a school night.

You lay on your bed after committing the horrible deed.

Your parents knock at your door.
You don't answer, but they let themselves in.

"Summer?"

Your mother is a cute, blonde-haired typical Newport mom.

"Yes, mother?"

"How would you feel if I offered you and Christine two plane tickets to Miami. This trip includes a week's stay at the Ritz-Carlton in South Beach plus spending money!"

You smile to yourself and think about it for a few seconds.

"I don't know, mom... Sounds appealing, but I'll need to check in with Stine."

Your mom rolls her eyes. "Hurry! The plane leaves tomorrow morning!"

Your parents leave your room and you pick up your Sidekick and dial Christine.

"Hello?" Christine always answered her phone in the same way. It's kind of endearing.

"Christine! I have a proposition for you."

You can hear Christine smile through the phone, "Elaborate."

"Want to go to South Beach for a week, my parents bought tickets for and booked a room for us!"

"Pardon me?"

"South Beach!"

"YES! Obviously I want to go are you out of your mind!?"

You laugh. "Well anyways plane leaves tomorrow morning I'll text you the time later! I gotta go tell my parents you said yes."

"Did you even doubt I would?!"

"Guess not."

You hang up.

South Beach, one week, no parents, no sister, no worries.

You're excited.
But if there's one thing you're going to miss it's Martin.
It's not like you two were dating yet, but you definitely had something going on. You didn't know whether or not hooking up with somebody else was acceptable or not. You don't really want to take it up with him, though. You're afraid you'd scare him off. Should you even tell him you're going?

You decide at least that is common courtesy.

Hey Martin. Starting tomorrow, I'll be in South Beach for a week with Christine. I will definitely call you when I get back. Xoxo.

/

"Flights for Miami, Florida departure at 6:15 am."

You and Christine are excited. You can't remember the last time you were this excited about anything. Well, anything that isn't Martin.

You think about him at the airport, you think about him on the plane.
You just can't stop. He's just fun to think about, dream about.

/

You and Christine's hotel room is amazing, to say the least. You've each got your own Queen-sized bed and you're not too sure why.

Upon arrival, the two of you drop your bags and kick back for about five minutes.

"What should we do today, best friend?" Christine asks you.

"We should eat right now, because I'm starved."

"True."

You and Christine both change out of your airplane clothes, you into a flowy white top and pastel turquoise short shorts and Christine into a green striped halter top and a denim miniskirt.

You head out of the hotel and to a sushi restaurant, Aji Sai.

To say the least, you guys feast on that sushi.

You have to admit, though, after eating it, all that rice makes you feel guilty.
It makes you want to defy gravity.
And I know that you're thinking that maybe if the location weren't so public, you would.

/

Later, after a little bit of shopping, the two of you are in your hotel room preparing to leave for the Bank nightclub, which is downtown Miami.

How will you get in? Fake IDs, obviously.

Then, out of nowhere, Christine asks you about Martin.

"What about him?" you reply, not really knowing what to say. You're not sure if you should just be honest.

"I mean what's up with you two?"

You settle that Christine is your best friend and she deserves the truth, "We're like... To be honest, I'm not too sure, we kissed a few days ago, but what does that mean, right? And he told me he really liked me, and I said I really liked him but I still don't know what that means, I mean it's not official..."

"So would you hook up tonight?"

"What do you think?"

"Do you think he would?"

"I have no idea, I barely know him!"

"But you really like him!"

"I like his mystery!"

'Well, I'd say if it's not official, you don't have anything to worry about my love."

Is that so?
Only time will tell.