The Doctor

the doc

Matt grabbed Ben's hand. "Let's go someplace special!!" he exclaimed excitedly. Ben laughed. "Okay Matty, You pick." Matt smiled, his face glowing with anticipation. "Well since it has been almost 4 years we've spent together. Let's go to the place we had our first date at!" Ben's eyes began to well up. Matt stroked his hand. "Do you remember that day Brucie?" Matt's voice cracked. "We had so much fun that day." Ben took a sharp breath in, his voice shaking. The doctor knocked on the door. "Can I speak to you outside for a moment Mr. Mullins?" Matt looked at Ben, giving his hand one last squeeze and stood up. "Of course doctor."
The doctor closed the door behind Matt. "We seem to be having problems treating your...friend" Matt looked at the doctor quizzically. "What's wrong with him?" The doctor looked at Matt. "He seems to have a lot of problems. The scars on his arms and wrists suggest a type of insanity. Have you ever seen Ben exhibit madness before? Depression and suicidal tendencies as such?" Matt looked at the doctor the shock spreading across his face. "Ben had a rough life as a child. He is not crazy and he deserves to be treated just like everyone else in this damn hospital. A couple of scars don't mean a thing. We pay just like everyone else. We should be treated and cared for the same way." Matt couldn't hold the anger from his voice. The doctor's response was cold."I'm sorry. But we can not treat him the same as everyone else. He has no parents. No wife, no kids. You are not his immediate family so you have no say in the matter. You are lucky we even allowed you to be in the same room as him. This is a place of business. Not a place where people such as yourselves should congregate." Matt scoffed. "People such as ourselves? You must mean faggots. Or queers. Whatever the hell makes your day a little brighter. Don't come over here with your bullshit about 'People like us' You must think pretty highly of yourself Mr. Doctor. You think you are better than me or Brucie? Think again. We don't pretend to be something we aren't. You shouldn't pretend to accept everyone." Matt opened the door to Room 185. He looked back. "For the record, I've been to hell. Its fabulous there." Matt's eyes filled with tears. "He's the one who saved my life. So do me a favor and try to save his." Matt closed the door behind him and sank to the floor. As the tears began to stream down his face he looked at Ben. He was always the strong one. That person Matt could tell everything too and not feel hated. The one who completed his life with a simple smile. The one Matt could lean on when people ruined his day. Now it was time for Matt to be the strong one. He stood up and wiped his eyes. Ben lay sleeping on the hospital bed. Matt grabbed his hand and knelt by the bed. He began to sing quietly. "I kissed the scars on your skin. I still think you're beautiful and i don't ever wanna lose my best friend" A solitary tear ran down Matt's face.
"I know you're scared but if we die at the same time does it still scare you? Wake up I know you can hear me!" As the tears began to fall faster, Matt heard a voice behind him. "Mister, Are you gonna be okay? I heard you crying." Matt looked behind him. A girl stood there with an IV attached to her arm. "I will be fine sweetie." The girl walked closer. "Did the doctor tell you the pain that he feels is not real? That he is almost dead and you should have no tears to shed?" Matt stood up and looked at the girl. "No.. he said that we didn't have the same rights as everyone else. Did he say that to you?" Her face became serious. "He told my mom that. She hasn't come to see me in a while." She laid her hand on his arm. "You two are perfect for each other. You deserve alot more than that doctor will give you." She bent over Ben and kissed him lightly on the forehead. "Get better soon mister. You seem to be much needed here." She walked out and let the door close softly behind her. Ben moved on the bed. Matt turned quickly. "Brucie? I'm here. Tell me what you need." Ben kissed Matt's knuckles. "We will see each other soon Matty. My heart beats faintly for you. Can you hear it?" Ben hummed softly. Matt sobbed quietly. "Our wedding song...can you sing it for me Matty?" Matt put Ben's hand by his face and sang softly. "Every little thing that you do. I'm so in love with you. It just keeps getting better." Matt's voice shook as Ben joined in."I wanna spend the rest of my life with you by my side. Forever and..." Ben's voice dropped out."Ever." Matt kissed Ben as he took his final breath. "Goodbye my love. My best friend. My life. My all."
♠ ♠ ♠
911 words