Status: Just starting. Hoping I can keep up. Please leave a comment with praise or advice.

Black Diamonds

Chapter Three

“He should already be here by now, Lacey,” Kayla criticized as she propped herself up on the corner of the counter in the kitchen. She leaned against the cabinets and folded her arms across her chest, almost as if she was haughtily staring down at me.

From across the room, I was seated at the island counter with Sloane at my side. I was nervous already and Kayla wasn’t helping. “It’s one minute past six,” Sloane retorted sharply to Kayla. “Do you really think he’d be here by now?”

Kayla shrugged and started picking grapes one by one from the fruit bowl at her side, plopping them into her mouth. I took another sip from my water, trying to calm myself down a bit. All that rang in my mind was the idea of this just being a hook up, like Kayla predicted. Not that I really cared what this really was. I just didn’t want to see Kayla be right. Throughout the whole span that we’ve been best friends, she has always been right about this dating stuff. He’ll call you, he won’t. He’s interested, he’s not. He’s about to dump you. She has called it all. She was like the wizard of romance or something.

“When are you going to stop doubting this?” I asked Kayla, leaning my cheek against my hand. She just kept chewing the grape she had in her mouth slowing. Annoyed, I started spinning my water bottle and tried to ignore her.

She replied a few seconds later. “When you come back not pregnant,” she teased, a smirk growing on her face. I threw my almost empty water bottle at her and she let out a cackle. “Don’t worry. You’ll be great, tiger.”

“We’re not going to sleep together!” I shouted back, getting up from the chair. Right at that moment, I turned my head to the window and a car pulled up to the house. It was a really nice car, a beaut. I wish I knew cars better to be able to describe it better than sleek and black.

“Damn,” Kayla gawked under her breathe. By her expression, I was surprised her face wasn’t pressed up against the glass because she was practically drooling all over the car.

“Damn is right,” Sloane agreed, peeking past me to get a better look. Then she looked over to Kayla with a budding, wicked smile on her lips. “Bet’cha wish Jacob drove something like that instead of that mom mobile, huh, Kayla?”

Kayla’s lips tightened and she smacked Sloane’s arm lighting. Sloane busted into giggles, obviously feeling quite proud of herself. I meekly smiled, sensing a growing not in the middle of my abdomen.

I let out a nervous breath and started to get up. Jackson started to get out of the car and walk up to the door. I began to rush to the door only to find Kayla and Sloane right behind me. I turned around and batted them away, telling them to get. They just went back to the window and could get a better look at him. I ignored them and pretended like it wasn’t happening as I went up to the door to answer the knocking.

I opened the door and slid out from behind it, subtly trying to be as quiet as possible so more people wouldn’t notice someone was here. “Hey,” I smiled, closing the door behind me.

He smiled back and complemented, “Well, isn’t it nice to see you in the actual light. You look nice.”
“You’re not half bad yourself,” I joked. He grinned and chuckled back and began to walk me to his car.

Jackson was right on the phone, the car ride wasn’t long and he lived fairly close to Renee’s house. The short trip was nice and all nervous feelings I carried before quickly began to leave my body. I thought since we had already talked about nearly everything two nights before that there would be nothing left to say, but I was wrong. He asked me how my day was and if the house was getting any better. My response was the obvious answer.

By the time we pulled into his house’s driveway, I started to realize that his house was just as nice as Renee’s was and was by the water, too. I started to wonder who in the world I met last night because this did not seem like him. I had to look over to make sure it was him. Same face, same smile looking back at me as I peeked over.

As he parked he said, “We can go into the back. I have a nice little set up on the beach. I’ll be like yesterday, except with chairs.” He chuckled lightly after he said that. He got out of the car and before I could get over he rushed to my side and opened the door for me.

“Thanks,” I smiled. He winked back and closed the car door behind me.

“Follow me,” he said, starting to walk ahead of me to the beach. I watched for a second, taking in details of him in the light for once. He had on a loose, white shirt and black denim, and the same boots he wore when I had first met him. After I realized what I had been doing, I quickly caught up with him before he noticed.

Out back he had a porch like Renee’s. It had more chairs on it and a grill, though. And out farther, closer to the water, was a fire pit and a little chair set up, about six of them in a circle. That’s where he was walking me to. He sat down first and I sat in the chair beside him. He leaned on the armrest that was by me and edged a little closer. “So if you hate it there so much, why not go home?” he asked curiously.

Before I answered, I genuinely thought about it. I looked from his green eyes looking back into mine, then the floor. Why didn’t I just leave? I could head home right now and forget this whole trip had ever happened. But then I’d have to bear Renee’s disappointment and resentment towards me for being such a child about everything. Not to mention all of my friends would be out here for the next few weeks and I would just be at my apartment back home alone. Too many obstacles would be in the way, and in reality, there’s only one standing in my way of having a good time here.

“I couldn’t leave my friends. They would be upset,” I began to explain, looking back up to Jackson. Cheering up the conversation, I teased, “Why? Do you want me to go home?”

He let out a small laugh and said, “Of course not, you just got here.” His hand rested on my forearm for a few seconds. I tried to bite my lip to hide the smile growing on my lips but I couldn’t and looked into his eyes again. His eyes wandered around my face until looking at my lips. I saw where this was going instantly and began to slowly move my face into his. He did the same until we stopped, just centimeters apart. He started to make the final move with his lips and lean in, his fingertips barely gracing my jawline.

“Hey, Jay!” We both heard from behind Jackson. We both pulled away and I looked past him, seeing two guys hopping off the porch and walking our way. The same one who called before spoke again. “Ben’s running up to the store. We’re running out on stuff to drink.”

The both of them plopped down beside us. “So now we’re here to bug you two,” the other one said, draping his arm around Jackson. “I’m Ben. Ben Graupner. Not to be confused with Ben Johnson, the one at the store. You’ve probably heard all of these great and wonderful tales about me.”

I grinned, looking to Jackson and then looking back at Ben, I said, “Actually I have.” Ben smiled broadly at the sound of that. He had a nice, wide smile and longer hair that fell into his eyes, even with a bandana wrapped around his head.

“I’m Jerad,” the one who spoke first said. He had a little mohawk and a white shirt on that was much like Jackson’s. He stuck his hand out for me to take and I followed obeyingly.

“I’m Lacey,” I introduced, looking from Jerad to Ben.

“We know that,” Ben stated, a grin growing on his face. He glanced over to Jackson mischievously and pointing at him with his thumb. “You’ve been all this guy has been talking about.”

Jackson quickly turned and made a face at Ben then punched his arm lightly. Ben, Jerad, and I all started in a small burst of laughter. “Ignore them,” Jackson said. “They’re the two goons of the band.”

“We like to be called monkeys, actually,” Jerad snickered. “Since our band is, in fact, 100 Monkeys.”

“Jackson told me about that, as well,” I said. “You guys are going to have to do a show while I’m here.”

“I think we actually have one coming up, right?” Ben answered.

Jackson continued, pointing behind him, “Twenty minutes that way. You should definitely come. You can get VIP access.” He winked.

“And her friends,” Ben excited. “I want to meet them.”

I laughed at that one. Joking, I laughed, “Oh, you definitely don’t.”

“I think I definitely do,” Ben assured, smiling widely once again. I couldn’t help but crack up again.

After a while of chatting around the fire and getting to know the rest of the band even better, Ben Johnson came back and brought some drinks outside. Jackson introduced us briefly and he had the same response that Ben did; Jackson couldn’t stop talking about you. Johnson had black, curly hair and a mustache that could only suit his face. He was a little on the quiet side at first, but after talking to him more, he definitely loosened up and I got to see more of his true colors.

We all kicked back for awhile by the warm, burning flames that we circled around and shared some laughs and some beers. I already felt more accepted by this group than the one at home. They messed around with each other, laughed, but could also have some deeper conversations. I remember when I used to be able to do what with everyone back at the house, and I mean everyone. The night definitely brought up some past memories I pushed in the back of my head. I really did forget about how capable Trey and Nick were of being kind and sweet. Maybe I just wasn’t giving them the chance to do so, like Renee said when I first got here. I didn’t get what she totally meant by that until now.

After night began to fall and a few stars twinkled in the sky, the three guys headed inside and left Jackson and I alone. All of us were sitting on the soft sand at this point because we could get closer to the fire. Surprisingly, California actually did get cooler at night, something I wasn’t expecting. My legs started to get goosebumps all over them due to the fact I was only wearing shorts. Jackson got me a blanket at that point and said that despite what people say, California does get pretty cool at nights, especially by the water. As he did so, he had his arm behind me and leaned into it, as if he was almost putting his arm around me. I rested my head lightly on his shoulder and could feel his warm breath on me as his head laid itself against mine. I scooted a little bit closer.

“So when am I due back to my house?” I turned to Jackson and asked, his face only inches from mine.

“When do you need to be?” he asked, taking another sip from his beer.

“Well it looks like I will need another ride if you keep drinking like that,” I teased.

“I’m perfectly capable of taking you home,” he assured. “I am the perfect driver. I’m not even the least bit tipsy.”

“Oh, and you’re sure about that,” I snickered. “Then you won’t be needing this.” I took his drink from his hand and got up, getting a little spurt of energy and running away from him, laughing.

“Now we’re going to play this game,” he smirked, getting up. I tried to run around to the other side of the fire but he was going that way and then vise versa, the old running around the table issue. Playfully, he crouched down and shifted from side to side as I tried to get away. I started laughing and chose one way. I went to the porch.

When I looked back, I saw that he had my phone in his grasp. I furrowed my brows. “Then you won’t be needing this,” he said, mocking me and dangling it between his fingers.

He tauntingly made his way over to the porch, but I was resistant. I stood on my tiptoes, as high as I possibly could and raised the bottle high above my head, passing it from hand to hand as he tried to get it. His hand slid around my waist, trying to pull me closer and stop me, but it didn’t work. He poked my side, causing me to squirm and snatched it from my grasp. Then took off, my phone still in his hand.

“You got yours back, that’s not fair!” I fake pouted, running after him now. My ringer even went off. He picked up the phone.

Smiling wickedly to me he said into the phone, “Lacey can’t talk right now, but I’ll tell her you called” And then hung up.

“Who was that?” I asked, still grabbing for the the phone as he reached his arms up like I did and walked backwards.

“I don’t know. I didn’t look. But you better find out!” And started to pick up the pace of his feet.

I started running after him and he turned around and took off quicker than I could. I threw my arm out and grabbed onto his shirt, refusing to let go until he stopped. Once he slowed, I tossed both of my arms around him, causing me to stumble and I pulled him down with me by accident. We landed into the soft sand as it made way for our bodies to fall. I crawled over him and grabbed the phone. “Ha!” I cried in victory, sitting into an upright position. I started to look through my phone to see who called but Jackson stopped me.

His arm slipped around me and his face nuzzled into the nook of my neck. His other hand slid gracefully from my shoulder, to my jawline, and finally to the tip of my chin. His thumb rested there, his face so close to mine as he pointed my face in his direction. Our lips just barely touching until he pressed his face even closer into mine, pushing them together. His hand began to caress my face. The kiss was slow and warm and I could taste the beer we were drinking in his breath. I rested my hand on his side and my other in his hair.

Maybe a minute later, my phone started to ring again, startling the both of us. I pulled away and went for it. I answered, “Hello?” My voice was different than normal, even I could hear it. I had to catch some of my breath from what just happened,.

“Lace, what was going on? When are you coming home?” It was Kayla over the phone. She was demanding. “Renee and Sloane went out and I’m stuck here with the others. And Jacob is already asleep.”

“I-I don’t know,” I stammered, running my fingers through my hair.

“You better not be sleeping with him!” She yelled. In the background I could hear a voice, it asked who I would be sleeping with and who she was on the phone with.

“I’m not and would you shut up? I will be back soon. Bye.” I hung up after that. I apologetically looked back to Jackson. “I have to go.”

“I understand,” he said, not seeming too phased by it. “Friends can be quite strict on your curfew, can’t they?” I chuckled and he started helping me up. “Still want me to give you a ride home?”

Thinking of the circumstances with what just happened on the phone, I couldn’t risk Nick or Trey finding out anything. “Uh, no, it’s okay. I think I’ll just take a cab.”

“Are you sure? I’d be more than happy to take you home,” he kept offering.

“No, it’s okay. I’d rather you be here, safe and in one piece.”

He nodded. “I’ll call the taxi.”

About ten minutes later one pulled up to the front of the house. Before I left I kissed Jackson one more time and thanked him for calling and letting me come over and meet the guys. He said he’ll be getting me again tomorrow for another date. I agreed willingly.

After another short ride back to the house, I snuck into the front door and shut it quietly. Kayla was already waiting by there, looking as if she was about to rip her hair out. “Hey,” I said, sitting by her in the foyer. She looked up and stood.

“Where were you?” she demandingly asked.

“Where do you think I was?” I scoffed, now getting up. “And it’s only a little past ten thirty.”

Something in her changed all of a sudden. She looked regretful of what she just had said. “Sorry,” she said quietly. I raised an eyebrow. What was up with her? She must have noticed because she started to say something. “So I take it you guys didn’t hook up.”

“No, the opposite. We sat by a fire outside and I met some of his friends that are in a band with him and then we just chilled together. It was nice.”

“Was the house nice?” she asked.

I looked at her weirdly. “Why do you ask?”

She looked baffled. “Do you have any idea who picked you up today? Who you met at the bar? Who answered your phone and I got to talk to?”

So it was Kayla on the phone. Still bewildered, I answered, “Jackson?”

“Jackson Rathbone.”

“How do you know--”

“He’s a famous actor, Lacey. You really have to keep up with the times, man. Even Trey and Nick know who he is.”

I was kind of astounded. But then it hit me. Even Trey and Nick know who he is. I felt anger boiling up in me in a pot mixed with nerves and anxiety. “You told them?”

She frowned. “Oops.” Her expression changed. “Well they hardly cared. I bet if you go out there with me right now they won’t even mention it.” She grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the foyer and to the back porch. I grumbled the whole way.