Status: Thank you for taking the time to read this story! Please subscribe, recommend, and please leave constructive feedback, for it is greatly appreciated

Thorin's Long Lost Daughter

Trolls

We arrived at an old, abandoned farmhouse that was in ruins.

“We’ll camp here for the night. Fili, Kili, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them.”
Thorin ordered.

“A farmer and his family used to live here.”
Gandalf said, to himself.

“Oin, Gloin.”
Thorin called.

"Aye?”
Gloin asked, looking up.

“Get a fire going.”
Thorin said.

“Right you are.”

“I think it would be wiser to move on. We could make for the Hidden Valley.”
Gandalf said, as he turned to face the Company.

“I have told you already, I will not go near that place.”
Thorin said, gruffly.

"Why not? The elves could help us. We could get food, rest, advice.”
Gandalf said, with a hint of defense in his voice.

“I do not need their advice.”
Thorin replied, sharply.

“We have a map that we cannot read. Lord Elrond could help us.”
Gandalf said, trying to reason with him.

"Help? A dragon attacks Erebor, what help came from the Elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls, the Elves looked on and did nothing. You ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather and betrayed my father.”
Thorin snarled.

“You are neither of them. I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past.”
Gandalf exclaimed.

“I did not know that they were yours to keep.”
Thorin said, with a dark tone. Gandalf stomped off angrily, leaving us.

“Everything alright? Gandalf, where are you going?”
Bilbo asked, as Gandalf stormed past him.

“To seek the company of the only one around here who’s got any sense.”
Gandalf snapped back.

“Who’s that?”
Bilbo asked, unaware of what had just happened

“Myself, Mr. Baggins! I’ve had enough of dwarves for one day.”
Gandalf snapped, sharply, before he walked away from the Company.

“Come on, Bombur, we’re hungry.”
Thorin said, ignoring the fact that Gandalf had just left them.

“Is he coming back?” Bilbo asked, Balin, who just looked unsure of himself.
Bilbo turned to look at me, and I also shrugged my shoulders.

"I do not know where he has gone to Bilbo..."
I replied.

Before I knew it, night had fallen, and Bombur had prepared us a dinner of soup, and we were all eating it,

“He’s been a long time.”
Bilbo said, sounding a bit worried.

“Who?”
Bofur asked.

“Gandalf.”
Bilbo said, as if it was an obvious answer.

“He’s a wizard! He does as he chooses. Here, do us a favor: take this to the lads.”
Bofur said, as he handed a bowl of soup to me, and Bilbo.

Bilbo and I walked through the dark to where Fili and Kili were watching the ponies. When we arrived there, they were staring out into the dark and neither of them, took the soup that Bilbo and I had handed them. I even nudged Kili and Fili, but they didn't turn around.

“What’s the matter?”
Bilbo asked.

“We’re supposed to be looking out for the ponies.”
Kili said, sullenly

"Yeah...and you are looking out for the ponies."
I said, trying to understand what they were trying to say.

“Only we’ve encountered a slight problem.”
Fili said.

"What kind of slight problem?"
I asked, now understanding what they were trying to say.

“We had sixteen.”
Kili started.

“Now there’s fourteen.”
Fili finished for his brother, as we all examined the group of ponies.

“Daisy and Bungo are missing.”
Kili said, as we started to circle the pen of ponies

“Well, that’s not good. That is not good at all. Shouldn’t we tell Thorin?”
Bilbo said, worriedly.

“Uhh, no. Let’s not worry him. As our official burglar, we thought you might like to look into it.”
Fili replied, and Bilbo and I looked around and see some trees that were recently uprooted and they were laying on the ground.

“Well, uh...look, some--something big uprooted these trees.”
Bilbo said, tentatively.

"Well no kidding, unless it was an over-sized squirrel, or something like that..."
I muttered under my breath.

“That was our thinking.”
Kili said, responding to Bilbo's 'theory'.

“Something very big, and possibly quite dangerous.”
Bilbo added.

Just then, Fili piped up. “Hey! There’s a light. Over here! Stay down.”

As the four of us quietly ran through the forest toward the light Fili had seen, and we hide behind a log when we realized that it is a fire. Harsh laughter sounded from near the fire, and it rang through my ears

“What is it?”
Bilbo asked, unaware of what it was.

“Trolls.”
Kili and I both answered, and Kili, Fili, and I ran towards the fire. I heard Bilbo start to follow us, but I heard him turn back around, and he grabbed the two bowls of soup that we had left on the log. When he grabbed the bowls of soup, he continued to follow us.

Just then, I heard branches and trees being broken, and Kili grabbed me, and he hid me behind a tree, and he stood beside me, with one of his hands clapped over my mouth, silencing me. I moved his hand from my mouth, and I peered around him, to see a massive mountain troll walking towards the fire, with a pony underneath each of his fat arms.

“He’s got Myrtle and Minty! I think they’re going to eat them, we have to do something.”
Bilbo half cried, half whispered.

Both Kili and Fili both turned to look at Bilbo, with a gleam in their eyes, and I knew what they were thinking.

“Yes; you should. Mountain trolls are slow and stupid, and you’re so small.”
Kili whispered.

“N--n--no--”
Bilbo stammered out.

“They’ll never see you.”
Kili said, trying to reason with Bilbo.

“No, no, no...”
Bilbo continued to stammer out.

“It’s perfectly safe! We’ll be right behind you.”
Kili added.

“If you run into trouble, hoot twice like a barn owl, once like a brown owl.”
Fili said, as he and Kili pushed Bilbo towards the fire. He kept muttering Fili's instructions to himself, as he tried to remember them, but he kept getting mixed up.

“Twice like a barn owl, twice like a brown--once like a brown? Are you sure this is a good idea?”
Bilbo asked, as he turned around, but both Fili and Kili were already out of sight.

I rolled my eyes, and I stepped out of the shadows, and I crouched down beside Bilbo.

"Don't worry Bilbo, no Troll is going to eat you..."
I said reassuringly, before I crept back into the shadows.

"Wait, Evelyn? Where are you?"
Bilbo quietly called out.
I used my legs to support myself, and I hung from my legs from the tree nearby, and I came face-to-face with Bilbo.

"I'm up here...Don't worry, I'll be watching..."
I reassured him, and with ease, I pulled myself back up into the trees. I kept one eye on Bilbo, and every time he moved, I would hop into another tree, ahead of him.

The three trolls, Tom, Bert, and William, sat around a fire on which a cauldron of something that was cooking. Tom was the troll who had brought the ponies. William had on a dirty vest. Bert was the cook and he was wearing an apron.

“Mutton yesterday, mutton today, and blimey, if it don’t look like mutton again tomorrow.”
Bert complained.

“Quit yer’ griping. These ain’t sheep. These is West Nags!”
Tom snapped.

“Oh, I don’t like `orse. I never `ave. Not enough fat on them.”
William sighed.

“Well, it’s better than the leathery old farmer. All skin and bone, he was. I’m still picking bits of him out of me teeth.”
Bert said, silencing the both of them.

William sneezed into the pot they had boiling over a fire.

“Oh, that’s lovely, that is; a floater.”
Bert smirked.

“Oh, might improve the flavor!”
Tom added.

I felt my stomach do a somersault, and I covered my mouth.

How disgusting could trolls possibly be? Honestly?!
“Ah! There’s more where that came from.”
William said, and I covered my eyes with my hands, and I peered through my fingers.

He began to sneeze more, but Bert grabbed him by the nose. I saw Bilbo sneak behind them unnoticed. I leaped into a tree closer to the fire, but in the process, I had stepped on a broken branch, and it snapped, which echoed throughout the quiet woods. I pulled myself up into the tree, and I swung myself behind the tree, facing away from the Trolls. Tom, Bert, and William both looked my way, and I heard one of them stand up.

'No, no, please...don't come over here...'
I nearly prayed, but whichever one it was, sat back down, and they went back to their business, as if it had never happened.

“Oh no you don’t.”
Bert exclaimed, as he threw William down

“Ow! Ow! Ow!”
William cried.

“Sit down.”
Bert ordered, and William sneezed again, but this time into a handkerchief he had pulled out from behind him. I quietly stepped out from my hiding place, and I watched as Bilbo reached the pen where the ponies were being held, and I watched him attempt to untie the ropes. My heart jumped into my throat, as William turned towards him.

I silently took my bow from my back, and I took an arrow, and I nocked it, and I held it with anticipation, if a Troll went anywhere near Bilbo, I was going to shoot it, only to keep its attention from Bilbo.

“I hope you’re gonna gut these nags. I don’t like the stinky parts.”
William said, as he looked away from the ponies hungrily.
Bert hit William with his ladle, and William squealed in pain.

“I said sit down!”
Bert snapped.

“I’m starving! Are we `aving horse tonight or what?”
Tom complained

“Shut your cakehole. You’ll eat what I give ya’.”
Bert barked.

I watched as William pulled out his handkerchief and I saw the handle of a long knife at his belt. I noticed that Bilbo was unable to untie the ropes that restrained the ponies, and he attempted to get the knife from the troll.

“How come ‘e’s the cook? Everything tastes the same. Everything tastes like chicken.”
Tom wondered aloud.

“Except the chicken.”
William piped up.

“That tastes like fish!”
Tom said.

My forehead crinkled up in confusion.
How in the world did that make sense, but then again...mountain trolls are stupid.

“I’m just saying, a little appreciation would be nice. ‘Thank you very much, Bert,’ ‘Lovely stew, Bert’; how hard is that? Hmm, it just needs a sprinkle of squirrel dung.”
Bert said, defensively, as William picked up a mug of drink, but Bert whirled on him.

“There, that’s my grog!”
Bert said, angrily.

“Uhh, uhh, sorry.”
William stammered out his apologies, and Bert once again hit William with his ladle, this time, the hit knocked him down. William gingerly got back up, as Bert tasted the soup in his ladle.

“Ooh, that is beautifully balanced, that is.”
Bert said, sounding proud of himself, as he let Tom taste some of the soup in the ladle; Tom gulped it down.

I noticed that Bilbo had gotten behind William and he tried to reach for the knife, but William stood up and scratched his bottom.

"Me guts are grumbling, I’ve got to snaffle something. Flesh I need, flesh!”
Tom nearly roared.

Wiilliam, about to sneeze, reached behind him for his handkerchief, but accidentally grabbed Bilbo instead, and sneezed all over him.
I covered my mouth with my hand, to keep from myself from throwing up.

Ugh! Poor Bilbo! Fili and Kili better make it up to him some how.

“Argh!!! Blimey! Bert! Bert! Look what’s come out of me ‘ooter! It’s got arms and legs and everything.”
William exclaimed, as the other Trolls gathered around to look

“What is it?”
Tom asked, curiously.

“I don’t know, but I don’t like the way it wriggles around!”
William said, as he shook Bilbo off of the handkerchief and onto the ground.
I silently jumped down from the tree, and I landed sliently on the ground

“What are you then? An oversized squirrel?”
Tom asked.

“I’m a burglar-- uhh, Hobbit.”
Bilbo stammered out.

“A Burgla-Hobbit?”
William asked, curiously.

“Can we cook `im?"
Tom asked, greedily.

“We can try!”
William exclaimed, as he tried to grab Bilbo, but he aimlessly dodged it, only to be cornered by Bert.

“He wouldn’t make more than a mouthful, not when he’s skinned and boned!”
Bert said, disapprovingly

“Perhaps there’s more Burglar-Hobbits around these parts. Might be enough for a pie.”
Tom exclaimed

“Grab him!”
Bert ordered.

“It’s too quick!”
William said, as he tried to snatch Bilbo up from the ground

As the trolls tried to catch Bilbo, he ran around, as he tried to dodge them. Bert accidentally hit William with his ladle while trying to hit Bilbo. Bilbo was eventually caught by the legs by Tom, and held upside down in the air.
I crept out, and the fletching of my arrow scratched the side of my face, in anticipation.

“Come here, you little... Gotcha! Are there any more of you little fellas `iding where you shouldn’t?”
Tom said.

“Nope.”
Bilbo lied, but the Trolls weren't that stupid then, for they saw right through the lie.

“He’s lying.”
William assumed.

“No I’m not!”
Bilbo replied a bit too quickly

“Hold his toes over the fire. Make him squeal.”
William said, and that was when I drew the line. I stepped out into the light of the fire, and I shot my arrow into Tom's shoulder, just as Kili ran out of the bushes, and he cut William in the leg, which made him howl, and fall over.

"Drop him!”
I shouted, as loud as possibly could

“You what?”
Tom asked, stupidly.

“She said, drop him.”
Kili snapped, as he swung his sword in a circle, before pointing it back at the Trolls.

Tom threw Bilbo at Kili; Bilbo landed on Kili, which knocked them both down. The rest of the Company charged out of the bushes yelling and brandishing their weapons. I put my bow back on my back, and I unsheathed my sword, and I hacked at the trolls. I looked around to see the dwarves hacking, slashing, and hammering at the Trolls legs. I saw Bilbo finally grab William's knife, and he cut the ropes, and freed the ponies. I ran over to him, only to be caught by Bert. I watched as the dwarves stopped fighting when they saw that Bilbo and I had been caught by the Trolls, and we were being held by our arms and legs.

“Bilbo! Evelyn!"
Kili shouted, as he tried to lunge forward, but Thorin kept him at bay

“No!”
Thorin shouted

“Lay down your arms, or we’ll rip their's off.”
Tom ordered

Thorin looked at Bilbo in frustration, then planted his sword in the ground. The others dropped their swords and weapons as well.