Status: Complete!

Strictly Roommates

Chapter 7

Jon’s POV

It had been a week after the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup. A week of crazy, crazy partying. Most nights, Jon didn’t even remember how he got to his own bed. Some nights he was surprised he wasn’t waking up to some stranger from the club.

“Good morning,” Lindsey whispered, snuggling closer to him in bed.

“Every morning has been fucking good, hasn’t it?” Jon grinned.

Lindsey laughed. “Surprised you say that considering that you wake up hungover almost everyday…”

Jon kissed her head. “But I’m happy. I have the Cup. And I have you.”

Lindsey beamed. “Well, I’m glad.”

Jon brushed her cheek. “I love you, Linds.” He whispered.

She froze before glancing up at Jon with her pretty grey eyes. It had been the first time he said it. Six months into their relationship, and he said I love you for the first time. And she didn’t even mind, because his eyes said he was telling the truth.

“ I love you too, Jon.”

She squealed when Jon rolled her over and pinned her down. “I fucking love life right now. Perfect ending to the perfect week with my perfect girlfriend.”

Lindsey sighed. “I have to go soon, remember? I have to drive down to Lexington for two weeks to see my family.”

Jon closed his eyes. He had totally forgotten. He was a little busy celebrating his Stanley Cup win.

“Well, we better get started then,” He said, pressing his lips to Lindsey’s.

--

Penelope’s POV

Penelope was packing up her camera equipment when her phone rang. She smiled when she saw the caller ID. Brent Seabrook.

‘Hey,” she said.

“Hi, you off work now?”

Penelope could almost hear him smiling through the phone. “Yeah, I am.”

“Are you driving home? Do you need me to pick you up?”

Penelope sighed. Brent had been perfect this past week; they didn’t have the chance to see each other too much due to his Stanley Cup engagements but he always called her everyday.

“I’d like that,” Penelope said, grabbing the last of her equipment off the table.

“Hang tight, I’ll be there in ten,” Brent said. “I have a surprise for you.”

Penelope bit her lip to stop herself from squealing. This guy was perfect. And a very, very good distraction.

--

Jonathan’s POV

Lindsey had left that afternoon, after three amazing rounds of morning sex. Now that the Stanley Cup celebrations had died down, Jon found himself alone at home with nothing to do.

He noticed that Penelope was rarely home these days. Some nights she never came home. But then again, he hadn’t really been home this week either, unless you counted blacking out on his bed for a few hours each night as spending time at home. He flipped through the TV channels mindlessly, settling on an old Western movie when he heard the door click open.

“I’m home now, good night,” Jon heard Penelope giggle into the phone.

His ears piqued with interest. Was Penelope dating someone?

“Hey, Pen,” Jon said when she hung up the phone.

“Hey,” she took off her shoes and headed into her room.

Jon followed. He felt weird not knowing about Penelope’s recent happenings. They always told each other everything. When Jon got to her room, Penelope was taking her makeup off in the bathroom.

“So um… hot date again?”

Penelope shrugged. “Just started seeing someone, it’s no big deal.”

Jon looked at her reflection in the mirror. “You seemed really happy on the phone.”

“Listening to my phone calls now, Jon? Got nothing better to do now that your girlfriend’s out of town?” Penelope looked Jon straight in the eyes through the mirror.

Jon was taken back. Yes, he and Penelope bantered all the time. But there was harshness to her voice that seemed to indicate that she wasn’t kidding around anymore.

He decided to change the subject. “So Pen, as you might know, I was nominated for the Selke this year.”

Penelope rolled her eyes. “How could I not, you wouldn’t stop talking about it for days,” she took off her earrings and walked to the closet to change.

Jon didn’t know whether to follow her or wait in the bathroom. She seemed impatient tonight, something she never was with him.

Jon decided to stay in the bathroom. “I was wondering if you wanted to come to the award show with me,” He said louder so she could hear him in the closet.

“In Las Vegas?” She said, coming out of the closet wearing a large, white v-neck tee that looked like it belonged to a guy. It reached her mid-thigh and made her legs look sexy as hell. Was that his shirt? Was that some other guy’s shirt? Was it the guy she was giggling to on the phone?

Jon snapped out of his thoughts. “Yes, in Vegas. I originally asked Lindsey to come, but I totally forgot she had to go home for some family thing.”

--

Penelope’s POV

Penelope swallowed. Of course she was only invited to go because Lindsey couldn’t.

Jon could see the hesitation in her eyes. “Come on, Pen. We can go to that frozen hot chocolate place you like, and yes I’ll even go to the wax museum with you although we’ve been there a thousand times…” He put his hand on her hip. “Come on, Pen. It’ll be like old times.”

Penelope tried not to shudder at his touch. This past week had been relatively painless, with Jon out so much with his Stanley Cup events and her spending more time at work and with Brent. But now, Jon’s hand was practically bleeding heat throughout her body. She felt like she had to wear a ski suit in Jon’s presence.

She opened her mouth but no excuse came out. A weekend in Vegas sounded perfect. A weekend in Vegas with Jon? She couldn’t decide if she liked that or not.

“Before you say no… remember I’m strong enough to do this…” Jon grabbed her by her middle and threw her over his shoulders. He ran towards her bed and slammed her down onto it before proceeding to tickle her.

Penelope screamed. She hated being tickled. Especially on her sides by her ribs. And Jon knew that.

“Stop, Jon, stop!” She complained. She whacked at his chest continuously in an attempt to get him to stop.

He lowered his face towards her. “Are you coming?” His fingers traced the sides of her body, threatening to start tickling her again.

Suddenly, Penelope wasn’t ticklish anymore. She was just incredibly turned on. She didn’t know how much longer she could have Jon tracing circles along her curves before her panties spontaneously combusted.

“Jon, I don’t really know if I can take time off work-“ Penelope began.

Jon was still on top of her. “I’ll talk to Madeline.. she loves me,” he smirked.

So do I, Penelope thought to herself. She looked up at Jon. His warm, chocolate brown eyes were pleading her to go. She knew he hated being alone.

“Fine, I’ll go… but only if we fly first class and get to stay at the MGM Grand.” She wasn’t going to make this easy for him, because it definitely wasn’t easy for her. “And I want frozen hot chocolate twice a day, AND I get to meet Lundqvist-“

“Whatever you want, Pen.” Jon said, giving her a kiss on the cheek before climbing off her. “I’ve missed hanging out with you,” Jon walked out of the room and Penelope let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding.

The kiss was so close to her lips that she felt a jolt from one end of her body to the other. She pulled the blanket over herself, suddenly feeling cold without Jon’s body pressed to hers. She closed her eyes. Just when she thought she was making progress, she dug herself a bigger hole to fall into again.

--

“Welcome to the MGM Grand, Mr. Toews. The executive suite is ready for you. It comes with a beautiful view of the Las Vegas strip, a hot tub, a full bar, and a heart shaped bed for you and your girlfriend.” The receptionist smiled at the two of them.

Penelope opened her mouth to correct her.

“Sounds perfect,” Jon said, handing over his credit card.

Jon and Penelope walked to the elevator without saying a word. Once they were inside, Penelope broke the silence.

“Why didn’t you say anything to the receptionist?” Penelope asked.

Jon shrugged. ‘Didn’t really feel like I had to explain our situation to some stranger. Besides, it’s not like we haven’t shared a bed before. It’s not really a big deal.”

Penelope really wanted to bang her head against the wall for thinking this was a good idea. She seemed to have many of those moments lately.

But then they reached the room and it took Penelope’s breath away. The room had a floor to ceiling window displaying a breathtaking view of the strip. Penelope turned to her attention to the bed, which indeed was heart-shaped. It came with red and white satin sheets.

“Did you request these sheets, Jon?” Penelope smirked, knowing red and white were Jon’s favorite colors and how picky he was about bedding.

Jon laughed. “Surprisingly, no. I guess the staff is just really accommodating.”

They spent twenty minutes or so unpacking their stuff before heading outside to do some shopping. The awards show was in six hours, and Jon had agreed to buy Penelope a dress in exchange for her coming here with him.

--

Jon’s POV

He really didn’t understand women. How could they enjoy this kind of torture? Shopping for two straight hours was not fun at all. Thankfully, the expensive boutiques on the strip seemed to be used to impatient, tired, but paying men. Jon had been offered champagne in some of the stores, and if not, definitely water and a comfortable chair with a handful of magazines.

“What do you think of this one?” Penelope said, walking out of the change room.

Jon looked up from his magazine. Penelope had on a black dress with spikes at the shoulders. Jon wrinkled his nose. “Too … Lady gaga-ish.”

Penelope sighed and headed back inside. That was probably the fifteenth dress she had tried on. Jon was about to lose his shit if she didn’t hurry up.

A few minutes later, Penelope walked out in a stunning, strapless, red fishtail gown. Jon felt like someone had just knocked him in the boards and knocked the wind out of him. “Wow, Pen.”

She spun around. “You like it?”

Jon nodded. “We’re getting this one,” he said, handing over his credit card to the sales associate.

After purchasing the dress, the two of them went separate ways. Penelope went to get her hair and makeup done, and Jon went to put the finishing touches on his tailored suit.

At around 6pm, he went back to the hotel room to pick up Penelope. He didn’t want to admit it, but he was nervous. He felt like he actually had a chance to win the Selke this year. But then again, he thought he had a chance to win back in 2011 but then he got snubbed by Ryan Kesler.

He slid the room key into the slot and heard it beep before pushing the door open slightly. “You ready to go, Pen?”

“Almost, Jon. You can come in.” She called from inside.

Penelope was standing with her back to him as she put on her earrings in the mirror. When she turned around, it completely took Jon’s breath away. Her dark brown hair was curled into nice, natural waves, and her smoky eye makeup made her brown eyes pop.

“You look beautiful,” he said, walking up to her. “You look really, really good in red,” he added, moving a curl out of her face.

“Thanks, Jon. You look pretty handsome yourself,” she winked, tugging on his tie.

“Ready to go?” He said, taking her hand.

“Yeah,” she gave him a reassuring squeeze.

--

Penelope’s POV

“And the Frank J. Selke trophy goes to … Jonathan Toews!”

Penelope’s scream was almost inaudible compared to the audience’s roars. Jonathan stood up and gave her a big hug.

“I’m so, so proud of you, Jon.” She whispered in his ear, tears coming to her eyes.

Jonathan walked up to the podium and accepted his trophy. “First of all, I’d like to thank my teammates, the coaches, and the rest of the Blackhawks organization. I’d also like to thank my parents for everything they’ve done, and my girlfriend, who couldn’t be here tonight.” Jon paused.

Penelope looked down at her hands. Were the cameras going to pan in on her and label her mystery girl then?

“But my best friend, Penelope, is here with me tonight. She has been there since the very first day I started playing hockey in our alley. Without her, I definitely wouldn’t be standing up here.” He looked her straight in the eye. “Thanks, Pen.”

Penelope’s heart swelled with pride.

--

After the awards show ended, Penelope and Jon headed to Henrik Lundqvist’s after party, so Penelope could meet him, as promised.

The private suite that Henrik booked was packed, filled with superstar players. Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines” was playing, so Penelope ran out to the dance floor. Jon was nowhere in sight, but she didn’t care. She loved this song way too much to not dance to it, even if it meant dancing alone.

“A pretty girl like you should never have to dance alone,” Penelope heard a voice whisper behind her. The guy wrapped his arms around her waist and moved to the beat with her.

Penelope turned around, speechless. Henrik Lundqvist was grinding with her. “Congrats on the Vezina, Hank.”

“Hmm… you’ve only met me for like half an hour and you’re already calling me by my nickname? That’s intimate, Penelope.” He whispered before spinning her around to face him.

Penelope grinned. She was drunk, and Henrik was definitely not bad to look at. Not bad at all.

Before she had a chance to think of a comeback, she heard a voice intercepting their conversation.

“Can I cut in?” Jon asked. Henrik let go of Penelope to shake hands with Jon. She saw them exchange a few words she couldn’t make out with the loud music, but then moments later Henrik disappeared.

“Thanks for being a cockblock,” she complained to Jon.

Jon laughed. “Come on… I said I would introduce you to Lundqvist. I didn’t say he could steal you the whole night.” He faked a pout.

Penelope smiled before standing on her tippy toes to whisper in Jon’s ear. “Show me some moves then, captain.”

Before she knew it, Jon had his hands on her hips and was gently swaying her to the music. Her ass fit perfectly against his thighs. She didn’t want to think; she just let the alcohol do the dancing for her.

She didn’t know how much time had passed, but she didn’t care. Jon used to be the most awkward dancer ever, always too tall for the girls he danced with. He never danced to the beat. But now, Jon had his hands on her thighs and she wasn’t sure how much longer she could continue dancing without pulling him into the nearest bathroom and repeating what happened between them last week.

“So… what do you think of my moves, Pen?” He asked, moving her hair to one side so he could rest his chin on her shoulder.

Penelope turned around and wrapped her arms around his neck. “Where’d you learn to dance like that?” she asked breathlessly.

Jon grinned. “Lindsey,” he said simply.

Penelope dropped her arms. “I need some air,” she said quickly before walking away from the dance floor packed with people grinding.

She walked out to the balcony, willing the tears not to fall. Drunk crying was unattractive. Once again, Penelope was reminded that there was someone more important than her in Jon’s life. But it was unfair, because she knew that the two of them together could be so much more than him and Lindsey. It made sense for them to be together, they both loved hockey; they were both from Winnipeg. Their parents were good friends, and they knew all of each other’s habits and secrets. Maybe that’s why they were meant to be best friends.

Penelope had seen footage of Jon and Lindsey celebrating with Jon’s family after the game. It was heartbreaking. Jon’s family looked so happy for him, but Lindsey just looked bored. She was texting on her phone while Jon was celebrating with his brother. How could Jon possibly be happy with someone like that?

“Pen, you okay?” a voice called out from behind.

Penelope closed her eyes. The tears were threatening to spill any moment.

Jon walked up to her and put his arm around her shoulder. “What’s wrong?”

Penelope avoided looking into Jon’s eyes. She knew she wouldn’t be able to say it if she looked into his warm, chocolate eyes.

“She’s cheating on you, you know.”

Jon blinked. “Lindsey?”

Penelope looked down. “Yeah.”

Jon laughed. “You’re funny, Pen. How can she be cheating on me when she spends all her time with me?”

Penelope finally had the courage to look at Jon. “Why do you think she’s going home, Jon?”

“To visit her family,” he answered simply.

“Yeah, and her other boyfriend.”

“If she was really cheating on me, she would be smart enough not to tell you, considering that you’re my best friend and she knows that you would tell me.” Jon said defensively.

“Yeah, but she’s dumb enough to think that the other WAGs won’t tell anyone,” Penelope answered.

Jon was silent for a bit. “You know what, Pen? I know what you’re doing. Why can’t you just be happy for me for once? Just because you think love is bullshit doesn’t mean that I do. Just because you can’t hold onto a stable relationship doesn’t mean I can’t! Maybe you should try something other than one night stands for once, Penelope.”

Penelope willed herself not to cry. She was mad at Jon, but really she was more sad that these words were capable of coming out of his mouth.

“I am trying something different. His name is Brent Seabrook.” She shot back at Jon before walking off back into the crowd.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jon/Pen fighting again! What do you think happens next?

P.S. So exciting how I wrote about the Blackhawks winning and then a few days later I got to watch it happen on TV!! Right down to the kiss between him and Lindsey on the ice.

So happy for Toews and the Blackhawks :)