Status: ACTIVE!

One Hundred Sleepless Nights

Unpleasant Memories

I sat at a local bar with a locally brewed beer in my hand. I took a swig and thought to myself what a crummy place this joint was. I had been coming here with my pops since I could remember, back then it was for burgers and cokes. My pops died a year back, the town mourned and I somewhat rejoiced. I hoped that with his death I would be unburdened of the secrets I carried. A whole year later and I knew I couldn't be more wrong. I slammed down the beer on the counter out of frustration. Even in death, the old bastard still calls the shots. The bartender gave me a nervous look and I gave him a cold stare, making the poor guy all but piss himself.

“Tony, is there anything else I can get you?” He squeaked from about fifteen feet away from me.

“I want a shot, Donnie, and two whiskeys neat.” I emptied my beer and smashed the bottle in the garbage can.

The tacky bells above the bar door rang and I looked up. A curvy girl with pale skin coupled with ash blonde hair walked into the bar. It was her blue toned eyes that made me think back to ‘Lana. I could hear her laughter fill my head, which made me feel crazier than usual. I knew there was no fighting the flashback, I had to let it ride out, or I would suffer from headaches for weeks.

It was like any other day after school Svetlana and I were walking home together after school. She was pretty upset today though, said her parents were yelling a lot. She said that her mommy was upset about something that had to do with money. So we came up with a plan for her to get a job and help her parents out, that way they can be happy again. It was a brilliant plan, well it was when you are nine years old and thought the world was a simple place. She went home that day with a huge smile on her face, ready to fix everything. We again promised to be friends forever and ‘Lana swore she was going to marry me then we parted ways. I headed into my house; the door was left open, which made my heart race. I was about to shout out to my dad when harsh voices hushed me.

“I need more time Mikey, please. Don't hurt my wife okay? She has nothing to do with this.” I heard crying so I looked into the keyhole leading to the back room.

It was Mister Petrovich speaking. I wondered why ‘Lana’s dad was here and if that meant she was home alone.

“I gave you six months; I think that was pretty generous of me. So now I take your wife, to guarantee some kind of payment from you.” Two huge men move Misses Petrovich into my view, I gulped.

“Please Mike, I beg you.” Mister Petrovich was down on his knees. “I just need six months; a year tops to win the money back. Please, I have a daughter.”

“Yeah and I have a son I need to feed. It works both ways doesn't it?” My father came into view; a gun in his hand.

I took a step back and something clattered behind me. I was terrified to be found out but the sound went unnoticed. My dad, however, felt the need to move this conversation to the Petrovich’s house. So I ran at full speed to their house, the door was open and ‘Lana was gone. So I ran into her parent’s room and hid in the closet with the door open a crack. What seemed like hours later, but was mere minutes, ‘Lana’s parents were shoved into their room. The two thug-looking guys started grabbing things of value on my dad’s orders while the Petrovichs shook with fear.

“Just take all that we have and leave us alone.” My dad hit Misses Petrovich in the face with the butt of his gun for speaking.

This didn't sit well with Mister Petrovich who got up and hit my dad. The room went silent for a second and then my dad started to laugh.

“And here I thought that I may let you live.” Then two loud gunshots echoed through the room and Mister Petrovich slumped onto the floor.

Before his blood could even drop to the floor Misses Petrovich was shot, too. Both truly united in death.

My dad told the guys "make it look good. Like a robbery gone wrong," then left the house.

The thugs found me and took me with them as they creeped out the back door of the house. I couldn't sleep that night, the image of death burned into my eyelids. I never saw ‘Lana again.

The blonde sat next to me, giving me a coy grin. For all I knew she could be ‘Lana, expect her eyes weren't quite right. She started flirting with me as I pounded down drinks, trying desperately to get the sound of gunshots out of my head. When things began to blur I relaxed, even gracing the blonde with a moment of my time. I walked the girl home and kissed her, but took it no further; she looked too much like her. When I got to my apartment building I noticed the apartment across the way had been sold, I wonder who got suckered into buying the place across from me. I lit a cigarette and unlocked my door, when I walked in a placed my gun on the table with my keys and exhaled smoke. I slipped off my shoes in a much better mood than when this crap day started. I took another drag of my cigarette before calling the boys and letting them know the job was done.

I throw myself into bed in nothing but my boxers, putting my gun under my pillow. I put my cigarette out and roll over and stare at the ceiling. The sun was already rising when I came home. I looked at the clock; 7 am. I groaned and put the pillow over my head. I drifted off into a pleasant-enough sleep filled with dreams of my childhood before it was ruined.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please let me know what you guys think :)