Status: ACTIVE!

One Hundred Sleepless Nights

The Monster I have Become

I paced my house thinking of that picture when Vald left to pick up a 'friend' so we can get some work done. I can’t believe that I lost that picture. I ran my hand through my hair a few times before collapsing onto the couch. Damn it ‘Lana, why do you have to be so damn hard to forget? Vald texted me that he asked Yulia to meet at the pool hall later and to bring her friend. I stared at my phone and shook my head, Vald was the relationship type. He was always getting screwed over, but if he wanted to try with this chick, well I won't stand in his way. I agreed to go, only because I could use a change of scene, and a drink. I lit a cigarette and took a long drag. I really don't need to stress over this whole 'Lana thing, when there is work to be done. I got up and decided to shower before Vald came back. Half an hour later, I was throwing clothes on my floor looking for a shirt. I really need to organize in here.

I grabbed a black shirt and pull it over my wet hair. Vald texted me that he was on his way so I left my hair as is and climbed downstairs. I opened the front door of the building and noticed a girl standing outside. The first thing I notice is her height; she is taller than most girls. She looks about 5’9, which made her beauty even more appealing to me. I hate tiny chicks; I don't want to feel like a giant. She was smoking, leaned against the wall in a way that warns people not to approach her. Her ash blonde hair, highlighted with colors. From lilac to dark violet in ombre streaks, that’s when it clicked. It was her, the girl from the beach and the one who bumped into me. I looked down at her combat boots and wondered could it really be?

My boys cut off my train off thought with their appearance. They were acting overly friendly, I just had to laugh. They were so clearly drunk that they were excited to see me. I punched Chris on the arm and did a handshake with Vald. I rolled my eyes and laughed, I hate doing a job with them like this but I hate to be like my pops even more. He would have yelled at them and threatened, maybe ever fired them. I choose to let it slide this time around. Vald handed me a helmet and while I was putting it on I saw the girl’s eyes. The greenish-blue of those doll eyes encased in thick lashes against that pale skin, shallow dimples peeking through. It was her, my ‘Lana. Vald pulled off and I felt as if a part of me loses balance.

I can't believe it, I refused to turn around. I wanted to so badly, to get another look, to see if it was really her. Her eyes haunted me, floating around in my head as I closed my eyes. It can't be, that's impossible. 'Lana, lives in Pennsylvania with her grandmother, not in Mayville. I must be seeing things; I am just going to focus on the job at hand. We pulled up to the warehouse and I pulled my helmet off and put my scowl on.

“Next time I drive.” I hissed at Vald, who goes from friend to employee the moment we pulled up.

“Yes boss,” Vald lit my cigarette, and walked ahead of me.

He throws open the doors of the warehouse, his gun peeking through the waistband of his jeans. Chris walked inside with him; he was all muscle, the kind of guy who scares people with a look. I leaned against the bike, taking a drag of my cigarette. I always let them handle the scare work. There was a bit of commotion and then a shot. I knew that was my cue to head it, I crushed my cigarette under my boot. I heard the gravel crush under my feet as I walked towards the doors. I leaned against the door frame and tsked the guy on the floor with the bleeding leg.

“Where’s my money, Carl?” I looked him up and down. “I gave you six months, I have been very gracious. Isn't that right Vald?”

“That’s right, you have been.” He hovered over him, looking menacing.

“So, what should I do boys? Should I continue to be gracious to Carl? Or should I make him pay up?”

Before the boys could answer, Carl yelled out.

“I have the money!” He lifted his bloodied hand to block his face. “It’s in my pocket.” He pulled out a huge wad of hundreds. “I am sorry, Tony. Please, don't hurt me.”

I nodded to Vald and he picked up the cash, counting it while he got up. He nodded at me signaling that it’s all there. I looked at Chris and he helped to patch Carl up a bit. I turned away and lit a new cigarette. I took a deep breath and exhaled a cloud of smoke. I hated these moments more than anything else. I could almost see my pops grinning at me. Me, who was walking in his footsteps. Doing the very same thing that cost ‘Lana’s parent’s their lives. I punched the wall making a hole where my fist made contact. I turned back to Carl, with my face twisted in absolute fury. Chris jumped away from him, fear written on his face.

“Do not make me do this again, Carl. Do you understand me?” He nodded fearfully. “Now get the hell out of my face.”

I watched him scurry, limping away to who knows where. Vald spared a quick worried glance at me before sending Chris away. He knew better than to question Vald, he is my right hand man. Chris nodded curtly at me and headed out, probably to the bar, to celebrate a job well done. I felt the vomit that threatened to overtake me, slide down my throat with spit as I gulped. I grabbed my cash from Vald and put Chris's cut aside.

“Are we heading out or what? You don't want to leave your Yulia chick hanging, do ya?” I grabbed the keys from him. “Let’s get going. I want to get out of here.”

I raced through the streets towards the pool hall. Cutting cars off, racing through lights, and I knew not one person would tell me anything about it. I pulled into the lot and parked in someone else’s spot. I was in a foul mood not looking forward to this, but I will take one for the team. I look at the pathetic excuse for a bouncer and notice that it is Tracy’s brother. I groan to myself. Just what I need, someone watching me. I told Vald to go ahead and I will stop and talk to the bonehead for a few. No need to make him suspicion and have him run to his sister. Then I would get another speech, about how we are meant for eachother and I need to grow up and marry her. No thank you, not now, not ever.

“Hey Dill.” I can't help but to think, what a terrible name. “How’s it going?”

“I told you Ton, just call me D. I am good, just working. What are you doing here? Where’s Trac?” He looked behind me for her.

“No Trac, tonight D. It's boys' night, we came to hear Fearless, my baby cousin is the drummer.“ I patted him on the shoulder, “I should head in. See ya D.”

I walked into the hall and the band was already in full swing. I looked over the mobs of people and spotted V at the bar. His arm was on the waist of a tall, purple haired woman. She was pretty and so his type, no sign of her friend though. Which is good news for me. I turn towards the door and just like I thought, D was watching me. I sighed and pushed my way to the bar. I get there and causally lean against the stool next to Vald. I ordered Jack, and watched Yulia giggle as Vald whispered something in her ear. She stood about five inches shorter then Vald, placing her at 5’7. Her round face, pointed slope nose, dark green eyes, and shoulder hair length was enough to draw attention to herself. Vald loved girls like her, on the rocker edge of life. When she excused herself to check on her friend in the bathroom was when she noticed me.

“Oh hi, sorry I don't mean to be rude. I am Yulia.” She gives me a small grin.

“Tony,” her eyes widen in shock.

“Your reputation precedes you.” She looked me up and down.

“Yeah well,” I shout over the music and shrug. “It comes with the territory.”

“Did you go to Mayville Elementary?” I failed to follow her train of thought.

“Yeah, uh, I did.” I chuckle.

“I have to go. See you Vald, call me.” Then she disappears into the crowd.

Vald and I exchange weird looks. I shrug and down my drink. Vald pouts a bit and orders a gin. The band takes a break and I wave at my cousin Jimmy. He flashes me a grin and a group of girls swoon. I chuckle and face the bar, never once wondering why Yulia ran out on us like that.
♠ ♠ ♠
X3