Status: ACTIVE!

One Hundred Sleepless Nights

Making Friends

“Fucking A, Yulia!” I push past her and walk into the pool hall, making my way towards the bar.

“I’m sorry, babe! I didn’t think there was any harm.” She almost cooed the words at me. “I really want you to meet Vald, ‘Lany.”

“Okay, I’m fine with that,” I try to keep my cool as I flag down the bartender. “But why did you have to have him bring me a friend!?”

“Lany, baby, I didn’t want you to feel like a third wheel or anything.” She pursed her lips and batted her eyes. “It’s totally innocent.”

I was almost convinced until she casually slipped in, “but we both know you could use a good lay.”

I glare at her and huff in frustration. I only agreed to come because there was a band playing tonight. I wasn’t here to be set up on a blind date! I didn’t mind meeting this guy, Vald. I mean, any guy that could get Yulia to be serious about them had to be amazing. But why add me to her love boat? And where the fuck is the bartender!?

“La-La,” she purred. “Just give it five minutes. If you feel weird, we’ll leave.”

I glare at her as she gave me the biggest puppy dog eyes. She was calling me every nickname in the book and pulling any trick she thought might work. Maybe she was right. Meeting someone wouldn't be terrible, even if just to drink together for the night.

“Five minutes,” I finally reply.

She attacks me with a hug and shrieks in joy. The band hasn't started yet, so we start a steady stream of shots. We had already started the party at my house while we got ready so, I knew it was only a matter of time before I started to feel it. Of course, by the time the band started, we were tipsy and cheery as hell. All the jumping around was beginning to make me dizzy.

About two or three songs in, Yulia points towards the door. A 6-foot male model straight from one of those fashion magazines scans the crowd. Yulia whispers excitedly “he’s here!” She pulls me through the crowd and runs up to her lover boy. She runs her hands through his silky, auburn hair as she greets him with a kiss. When they part, Yulia begins to introduce him but I cut her off.

“Vald, right? Yeah, I’ve heard plenty,” I tease.

I start to feel flushed so before I even give him my name, I excuse myself to ‘freshen up’.

“I’ll meet you love birds at the bar,” I say as I rush towards the bathrooms.

Once I’m in the bathroom, I splash my face with water. I should know better than to drink on an empty stomach. I can handle my alcohol better than anyone… Unless I’m only running on ice cream from early morning, that is. I dry my face and inspect my make-up. Luckily, it didn’t look terrible. It looked a bit lived-in but I was fine with that. Actually, I think to myself as I gussy up, I look hot as hell.

I take a few deep breaths and prepare to face whatever nightmare would be waiting for me out there. Or, Yulia’s stunning guy also had stunning friends? It was perhaps just wishful thinking.

As I march out of the bathroom, confident and ready, I’m met with Yulia’s overly cheery smile.

“Lany love, what school did you say you went to when you lived here?” Something about her smile was forced.

“Mayville elementary school… why do you ask?”

She takes a deep breath before her reply. “No reason! Hey, how about a movie night at your place!? We’ll stop and buy some more drinks.”

I follow her out cheerfully. “Wait, what about Vald and his friend?”

“Oh, they’ll be doing the same as us!” She exclaims before muttering under her breath, “Avoiding potential trips down memory lane. . .”

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Yulia and I actually had an awesome night. We ordered take-out, listened to some of my Rise Against vinyl records and danced and drank the night away. Naturally, we slept in the next morning. It wasn’t until the afternoon sun crept through my bedroom window that I even remembered I was alive. I sit up on my bed and scan the room with one eye open.

“Yulia?” My voice was raspy.

“Uhhhh.” At the foot of my bed, a Franken-Yulia rises awake from a pile of pillows.

I rub my eyes to try to muster up enough energy to make us some breakfast. I cook up some scrambled eggs and some toast with butter and jam. Two tall glasses of water and juice help to seal the deal on this tasty hangover breakfast. While I add the finishing touches, Yulia finally gets up and sits in the living room. We eat breakfast and watch some re-run of a re-run.

“Yulia, you're right.” I say the words casually, never taking my eyes off of the television.

“Well, that’s no surprise. What about this time?”

I throw a piece of toast in her direction. “Ass. I meant you were right to try to introduce me to someone. I could use to meet some people. So far I’ve only had half a conversation with a very sassy gay guy. Why don’t we go out with Vald and his friend tomorrow night?”

Yulia gives me a strange expression. “Uh, sure. If that’s what you really want.”

I nod. I was determined to make friends. Who knows, maybe I’d meet someone that lived in my neighborhood or might have even knew me back then. That wasn’t the main reason I wanted to go out, though. I just wanted to feel a little less lonesome in Mayville. Yulia lived a town over and I wasn’t going to keep driving to her place just to hang out. I needed some local friends.

Yulia offers to wash the dishes so I pick up random bottles, cups and records lying around.

“’Lana, you know those stories you used to tell me when we were little? You know, the ones about a friend you had when you lived here?” Yulia looked curious.

“Yes, I do. What about them? I don't think I’ve mentioned elementary school in years.” Her train of thought seemed random.

She asked if I remembered his name. When I said no she almost sighed of relief. I didn’t really pick up on it, though. About an hour later, I walk Yulia to her car. She promised to set up something with Vald and his friend if they still wanted to. She said she’d look into a new bar or concert.

“Confrontation is playing at a local club tomorrow.” I turn to see Oliver walking by.

“Thanks?” I laugh.

“Hey, gorgeous,” He says to Yulia. “Anyway, they are an underground punk band. If you’re looking for drinking and partying, that’s the place to be.”

Apparently, Yulia and Oliver’s boyfriend work in the same place. It made his intrusion a lot less creepy. They exchange information about the show and bar. After she takes off, Oliver invites me into his apartment. He’s weird, he’s bold… and I liked him already! We take the elevator to the floor above mine.

“Don’t mind the mess, honey. I haven’t had time to tidy up.”

When he opens the door, I’m confused about what mess, exactly, he was talking about. His house seemed spotless. On the couch there were two people laughing at a comedian on the television.

“Svetlana, this is my boyfriend, Liam.” His accent made even those simple words sound adorable.

The guy, about my height, stands up and shakes my hand. He had to be British, also. He had thick-rimmed glasses, tattoos up to the neck, and a diamond-studded Monroe piercing. He reminded me of a nerdier Oliver Sykes.

“And this is my twin sister, Olivia,” he stuck out his tongue at her as he said her name, childishly.

“Nice name, Svetlana,” she said as she patted the spot next to her. She had no visible tattoos but had several piercings. Her dreads were neatly tied back. She completely contrasted her brother.

“So, Svetlana,” God, I could get used to hearing my name in their accents. “What’s your story? You seem too rad not to be friends with me,” Oliver said.

So, I started to say a bit about myself to my new “friends”. I told them about moving from Pennsylvania, nothing specific about why though. They told me about all the best places in town, and a little about themselves. I was pretty happy to meet some people on my level of strange. Olivia and I both painted so we babbled a lot about that and our dreams to open a gallery and such.

Ever since I picked up painting during my one of my many therapy sessions, it was second only to breathing. It was great to meet someone who shared my obsession. While we gushed, the guys played video games. We tried to join them but they completely ignored us. So, instead, Olivia took out some hair supplies. I picked out some violet dye. I was getting sick of the ombre look, but the colors were still pretty sweet. Olivia suggested I leave my hair its natural color and just dye the bottom layer violet.

Before I left, Oliver whistled at me when he noticed my hair and ran up to me.

“If you need anything, we’re just a floor up. Mayday can be a shitty place if you’re lonely. So thank your local god for the gays in apartment 6e!” he laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
:]