When Mama Met Papa

Chapter 6

The next morning I woke refreshed and feeling incredible. Looking at the clock it was 7:30 but my alarm wasn’t going off. I double checked it and found I hadn’t set it. Crap! What else hadn’t I done? I got out of bed and ran downstairs.

Getting into the kitchen I cursed my date-addled mind. Life was not brewed. I fixed that post haste and went upstairs to shower. The next time I came down was more sedate and I was wearing more. I fixed breakfast and sipped from my cup of life. Today Sara would be in and the new book would begin.

I walked into my office and sat down at my desk. It was 8:30 a.m. so I had some time before I would really start writing. So instead of opening my email, I opened my research folders and began looking at what I had and where felt right to begin. As I looked through everything of course I lost track of time. I looked over about 45 minutes later and my coffee mug, which I had drained by now, had been refilled with the tea I drank while writing and Sara was sitting at her desk going through things on her work computer. “Oh, morning Sara.” I said as it dawned on me.

She looked over and waved with a smile. “Mike’s sent me a list of conventions for you to look at, but even the registration is a few weeks away, you have time. Oh and I’ll look through the letters in a bit.” With her time semi-outlined I just nodded and opened up a new document for Word and went back to the next book.

An hour later my bladder protested having as much liquid in it as it did. It was time for a break. I got up and felt a knee pop, yep _past_ time to get up and move. After a stop by the powder room, I went in search of Sara. I found her in what was supposed to be the formal living room but we had turned into her official workspace.

“How’s everything in the semi-real world?” I asked, she laughed.

“So far so good. Deb’s called twice and seemed thrown by me answering the phone. I’m going through the information Mike sent about those conventions. I’m waiting for the mail and…” The phone rang; Sara picked it up automatically. “Medved household, this is Sara how can I help you?” I couldn’t hear who was on the other end but Sara helped me out. “Hold on, I’ll see if she’s available.” She covered the phone’s receiver and looked at me. “Why is Tim Thomas calling you?”

I felt myself blush very hard. “Um… we went out on a date last night. I’ll get the phone in the kitchen.” I _very_ nearly ran out of the room and grabbed the extension. “You can hang up now.” I said to Sara who complied.

“Did I call at a bad time?” Tim asked cautiously. “I can call back later.”

“No, no. Your timing was prefect actually. That was Sara, my assistant, who answered the phone. I actually need to take a break so I can talk now.” I saw Sara creeping into the kitchen to hear at least one side of the conversation. I shook my head and rolled my eyes.

“Oh good. Look I know this is short notice but my kids want to meet you.” I blinked a little. “Yeah they know who you are at the rink, but they want to get to know you.”

I knew what this was; the kids were vetting me. “Um… I’ll probably be busy all of today. Started my next book today. I could come by tomorrow probably though.” I leaned against the counter and hoped that things fell into place as easily as before.

“Thursday is a school night. Would Friday work better for you? We could do dinner and a movie here at the house.” I thought I heard hope in his voice.

I turned to look at the calendar I had in the kitchen. “Friday looks to be clear for me. What time and can I bring anything?” I picked up the pencil I had attached to the wall and penciled them in.

“Well… um,” I heard the nervousness creep into his voice. “They kind of want _you_ to make dinner. If you want to back out I understand.”

That was so sweet; he was giving me an out. I couldn’t take it though. “I can do that. I do have one insistence though. I get to plan the menu and no one complains that they don’t like it. I _do_ have nieces and nephews I know what kids are likely to enjoy.”

“Hold on, let me check to make sure that’s good for them.” I waited as he spoke with the kids. When he came back I could hear the smile in his voice. “They agree that you can plan the menu but they get to do dessert.” I laughed.

“It’s a deal. I’m not sure what I’ll make yet, but it will be delicious and kid approved.” We chatted a little bit more about the possibilities of another date until I heard the doorbell on Tim’s end.

“Damn, we keep getting interrupted. I really want to have a long conversation with you.” I had to chuckle, he was right. “It’s my soon-to-be ex. I have to go and see what she wants.”

I smiled at the idea I just had. “I’ll call you at about 9 tonight and we can talk some more.” He agreed it was a plan and I let him go. I hoped that Melissa would not upset him too much.

I managed to go back to the book without any hassles from Sara. Now some authors write by word count per day and some write using pages per day. I used a hybrid system of both. I would write until I got 4,000 words, or more, in a day and worked for 60 pages in a week. Today being the first day I worked until 12:30 and then from 1:30 until 4:30. In those sessions I managed to get 3,981 words written. Fortunately I counted that close enough to my daily goal and called it a day then.

I came stumbling out of my office and into the family room, where I simply dropped on the couch and lay for a few minutes. Sara found me and couldn’t help but chuckle. “Done for today I take it.” I nodded, too tired to speak. “Well hopefully you’ll recover quickly enough to remember to eat. If you don’t need me anymore today I’m gonna go early.” I waved goodbye and heard her chuckle as she left the room.