Status: Active

You're All That I Hoped to Find

Chapter 1

What is Fate? Jack Barakat of all people knows exactly what is is. Why? Because he is Fate. He’s the guy who determines what every single person’s Fate is going to be from the second they’re born. Well, almost every single person. One out of five humans aren’t born on the path of Fate, but rather, the path of Destiny. They are the lucky ones. What’s the difference? Well, Fate is something you are Fated to become, although your decisions and choices may affect it negatively, or just stop it from happening all together.

He was in a fatal car accident.

Don’t test your Fate.

You don’t have a choice when it comes to Fate.

Destiny, on the other hand, you can control. If you had to choose between the path of Destiny and Fate, you’d take destiny without so much as a second thought.

He was destined for greatness

It was their destiny to be together.

See the difference?

Jack definitely did and that’s why he hated what he did so much. Why couldn’t he have been assigned to Love or Happiness? Hell, he’d even take Karma over Fate. But, it could be worse, he could have been Death, or Misery. And those two were jobs you would not want. You could almost say it was Jack’s fate to become Fate.

Everyone like Jack -called The Rulers- who represented something was immortal, and have been around since before the beginning of time. They’ve seen and know everything. And being immortal meant you had rules, of course.

Rule One: Don't get involved.

Rule Two: Do not reveal your identity to any human, under any circumstances.

Rule Three: Do NOT interfere with a human’s destined path, and change their future.

Rule Four: Obey Gabe and under NO circumstances disobey him.

Gabe was who’s in charge. You know - him the big guy upstairs, the almighty one. He ran the show, and all of The Rulers knew better than to disobey him. He was their creator, after all.

Rule Five: No romantic relationship with any human, whatsoever.

But, that rule didn’t apply to one-night-stands, much to Jack’s liking. After all, how else would Gabe’s one and only son have been created? Those times were pretty hard to forget.

Those five rules were known as “The Big Five”. While there were many other rules, those were the most important ones and had the most attention paid to. If you were to disobey any of those rules, well, that would be as bad as time Cleopatra found out he was having an affair with her sister.

First, you’d have to talk to Gabe and he’d usually start you off with a warning. But, continue what you were doing, and well, you’d be lucky if you were only stripped of your powers and nothing else. Just ask the original Ignorance.

But being immortal had many perks, too, of course. The Rulers could become invisible at any given time and transport to anywhere in the universe - he wasn’t just limited to Earth, although he preferred it. The other planets weren’t very welcoming to say the least. Then there was the obvious - the fact that they were immortal. Say they got injured, that’s fine. They healed themselves within minutes. Then there was of course, the Universal credit card they were all given. It had an infinite amount of money on it, to be used for any sort of currency. The life of immortality was good.

All of this brings Jack to where he is now. Checking up on one of his humans on the wonderful, joyous path of Fate. Her name was Emma Arlen, and right now she should be well on her way to becoming the CEO of a high class clothing company. But rather, her idiotic choices led her to where she is now, the star of the local Gentleman’s Club, stripping just to earn enough money to pay the rent of her run down apartment. And that, right there is why Jack didn’t understand the human race.

Even if they were assigned good fates, like Emma’s, they make stupid choices and give into Temptation -that bitch- and just like that their entire path is rocky from there. Humans are stupid, selfish, materialistic beings. And that Jack knew for sure. This is what his days mostly consisted of. Assigning fates of newborns, checking up on those on his path, the usual.

He’s not quite sure when it happened, maybe around the time Columbus discovered America -he was such a prick- but Jack began to lose faith in humanity. As the years progressed, the worse they became. Maybe that’s why his success rate was at an all time low - only 15% compared to the usual 67. Needless to say, he was going to have to get his act together if he wanted to continue being who he was.

And now, after a long day of being Fate, Jack decided to head back to his penthouse suite in upscale New York. It wasn’t the nicest out of all The Rulers -just go visit Materialistic- but it certainly was up there, and it fit Jack’s taste perfectly. As soon as he walked through the door, he headed to the Kitchen, grabbed a beer and began to unwind before going to bed.

After all, no one said being Fate was an easy job.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well here it is, my first ever Jalex fic! I know this isn’t very long, but it’s just the introduction to the whole thing. I’m actually really excited about this! Anyway, I hope you like it so far, and please give me feedback, it would mean a lot, thanks :D